Author Topic: Petrol CX-5 - performance  (Read 10415 times)

Offline tzd7kw

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
Petrol CX-5 - performance
« on: June 04, 2017, 06:47:24 pm »
Hi, question for Petrol CX-5 owners, how do you find the performance - particularly mid-range acceleration 30-50, or 50-70?

I have 12 plate 2.2 twin turbo Diesel 6 Sport now, which offers me all the acceleration I need and am considering swapping to the CX-5 but no longer do the mileage to make Diesel the right choice. However am concerned about reports that describe the Petrol CX-5 as sluggish?

Offline DC77

• 'It's a lot smoother ride in the back Mr Franks'
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2016
Re: Petrol CX-5 - performance
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 07:06:05 am »
I have had a petrol CX5 for the paSt 10 months plus, I'm loving it but to be honest I do feel the engine feels anemic especially when hills are involved though none where I live (Fens).
Need to use the gears an awful lot and I tend to not overtake much as I feel the power is just not there....oh for a turbocharger!

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:40:20 am »
Yes the petrol needs to be revved to get it moving in lower gears as the cx5 is a large tall vehicle and really needs more torque than the petrol can give. As long as you do some longer trips then you should still be ok with diesel, but not with all short 1-2mile trips.

Offline RAB2000

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 04:58:36 pm »
Yes I've got a petrol and agree it is a bit sluggish without using the gears.  I've come from a Focus 2.0 TDCi previously and that was certainly a quicker car when left in top gear.

I find the CX-5 no problem at all around town, reasonably pokey.  It's on the motorway in top gear that it lacks.  It doesn't really bother me, most of the time I don't bother changing down and just accept the slower progress!

I'm a low mileage user so the better performance, fuel savings of the diesel don't out weight the potential pitfalls of running a diesel.

A turbo petrol may be a good compromise but I suspect long term reliability of an NA petrol may be better.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 04:58:36 pm »