Author Topic: First Accident  (Read 15972 times)

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
First Accident
« on: June 13, 2016, 10:35:27 pm »
I'd hoped to never post in here!  >:(
Unfortunately I had my first accident in my CX-5 the other day (not to mention first accident of any car in seven years of driving!)
I was driving along a local 30mph residential road, perfectly everyday when a Juke travelling in the opposite direction veered across the road and smacked into us! The other car took off immediately and whilst I tried to turn around and catch them they were long gone, and in the shock of the moment neither of us caught the number plate.

The police are totally uninterested as there doesn't appear to be CCTV covering the area and no-one else around. Luckily the damage is limited to the wing mirror, both the coloured cap and the housing itself - all electrics appear to work normally despite taking a 60mph smack!

I'll have to live with the scuffed housing but I am pretty impressed overall with the mirrors being designed to 'fail' to prevent mechanical damage to the folding mechanism. I'm also pretty impressed that Mazda supply the mirror caps already painted for £41!

Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: First Accident
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 06:24:44 am »
Try re-spraying the cap its cheaper.

The mirror will take a hit and you can reposition it, although it makes nasty click when you do.
I'm less impressed however that any housing damage results in a new mirror, when the wife forgot to fold the mirrors reversing out of our garage it flicked the cover off with practically no damage, but destroyed the housing.

Because the cover could be reused I paid around £200 for a new one, the car was only a few weeks old!
To be fair to the wife she has never had a accident, other than that, in forty years, I hope I don't regret posting that, while I must have had around six, luckily though none since 2004.

I now have a front and rear dash cam, both bought for under £60. But they won't pick up a side impact.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 10:32:17 am »
I feel your pain, Richard.  :( :( :(
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 01:07:39 pm »
I've got front and rear cameras too and unless it's dark, the crystal clear images will get a number plate turning out of a side road.  Coming towards you is a synch. Just freeze it and even if you are both doing 60 it will get it plain as day.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 10:50:18 pm »
Sorry to hear about this Richard, a very similiar thing happened to my wife on a bad sweeping long bend the other car was too fast and cut onto opposite side, it frightened the hell out of her, i think you were very lucky to be honest, a good friend of mine has just lost his youngest son in a 6 car accident in perth yesterday horrible. Hope you get it sorted soon and back to A1
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 01:05:12 pm »
Sorry to hear about this Richard, a very similiar thing happened to my wife on a bad sweeping long bend the other car was too fast and cut onto opposite side, it frightened the hell out of her, i think you were very lucky to be honest, a good friend of mine has just lost his youngest son in a 6 car accident in perth yesterday horrible. Hope you get it sorted soon and back to A1

It's a sobering thought to be honest and I do think in the grand scheme of things it wasn't a big deal - the fact the other driver sped off without checking I was ok is far worse than the damage. It's £41 for a new mirror cap from the Mazda dealer already painted so I haven't fared too badly.
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline Cornish CX-5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 01:14:42 pm »
Shame you didn't get their reg.  At least it is easily fixed.   Another vote for dash cams here,  don't have to be expensive for a good one and fairly quick and easy to fit. 

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 01:27:05 pm »
Shame you didn't get their reg.  At least it is easily fixed.   Another vote for dash cams here,  don't have to be expensive for a good one and fairly quick and easy to fit.

I have the reg now, as well as the insurance details and name/address of the owner of the car. I haven't decided if I want to do anything with them yet... but I have filed a police report (not that they're going to investigate it)

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 02:39:23 pm »
Most of that scuff will polish off and I doubt you'd see much of the rest touched up.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline mcmoose99

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 08:15:18 pm »
Wish I had a dash cam to see whose vehicle dumped a load of junk on the M42 that put a major cracking in my mirror cap last year. Took out a few other peoples tyres and window screens. Central Motorway group weren't interested and their control room said they seen nothing.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 08:15:18 pm »