Author Topic: Soul Red Crystal Paint Finish  (Read 14266 times)

Offline Sarge1623

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2018
Soul Red Crystal Paint Finish
« on: October 10, 2019, 11:14:47 pm »
I have a 2018 CX5 from new with the Soul Red Crystal paint finish which, almost from new,
Was very susceptible to chipping, particularly on the bonnet. When asked if this would be covered by Warranty the dealer said “No” as it was due to “wear and Tear”
Has anyone else had this problem?

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Soul Red Crystal Paint Finish
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 10:38:34 am »
Not personally, as I've had a Zeal Red, Soul Red (not the crystal) and now have a Black Mica. However, there are a lot of people who have had issues with the Soul Crystal Red paint. Theres an owners group on facebook where this has been discussed a lot. https://www.facebook.com/groups/145907949265288/

Don't let the dealer fob you off, this is a known problem and some have had their front ends repainted as a result, with Mazda covering the costs. Speak to Mazda customer services in Dartford directly about it

Alan

Offline Gel

• New to Mazda; enjoying my new CX-5
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 02:23:41 pm »
Must admit I too have had a few bonnet chips, but hadn't thought about claiming; may do now.
I don't use FACEBOOK, so can't see what's said there.
Let us know if you have any success on this ;D

Anyone, this thorough??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa6ZDGg-B4U
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 02:45:00 pm by Gel »
Gerald
Thames Valley

Offline stebrierley

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 02:16:13 pm »
Hello all

This is my first post and the main reason I joined the forum to be honest. 
I have a 2018 CX-5 in Soul Red Crystal finish, travel approx 20K-25K miles per year, mainly on motorways; as I have done for the last 10 years or so.
This is the first car where I have noticed a significant amount of stone chip damage to bonnet and door pillars.  I searched on google and established its a major problem with this particular colour/finish.  Being a qualified industrial coatings inspector I decided to take some dry film thickness readings on the car, granted car coatings aren't industrial coatings but just out of interest I carried out a DFT survey.   I took a total of 77 readings with a low of 56 micrometres to a high of 91 micrometres giving an average of 78 micrometres. 

On the Mazda website they advertise the fact that the coatings are applied at 0.08mm (80 micrometres) so my DFT survey was OK to their specification.  What i am not happy at all about is the film durability.  If the coating is applied, as advertised in three coats; then this coating system is not fit for purpose.  Normal everyday driving for me is on motorways 70% of the time.  I do not drive down country lanes with lots of loose stones or chippings.  The slightest knock form a stone exposes the base coat which, unbelievably, is white.  This sticks out like a nun in a brothel.  An absolute eyesore. My bonnet must have upwards of 100 chips/specs and it get worse as each month goes by.

I have emailed Mazda CS Dartford after first saying it isnt a warranty issue, they sent me this response to contact my dealer.

1 Customer books car in for inspection
2 On day of inspection customer completes walk-around with dealership staff highlighting concerns and leaves car with dealership for 1 day
3 Dealer washes the car ready for professional inspection
4 Initial assessment takes place using and sent to MMUKTech including photos with paint labels, chipping sheets and opinion of fault - defect or not
5 MMUKTech verify and advise accordingly
6 If warranty the dealer will be informed on the same day that it is OK to proceed to claim submission
7 If not warranty the decision and reason will be verified with the dealer for notifying the customer
8 If for any reason further photos or evidence is required the car is onsite to obtain this
9 The idea of having the car for the day is to complete a full assessment and agreement for next steps to avoid delay and avoid the customer waiting 

I have rang the dealer (Mazda Warrington) they have advised that they will ring me back when they have confirmed when the Mazda Area representative will be available so that I can take the car for inspection.  Mazda Warrington also confirmed they have had another complaint regarding this colour and stone chip damage

I will advise the outcome here

regards
Steve 

Offline Gel

• New to Mazda; enjoying my new CX-5
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 06:10:29 pm »
I suffered this too.
My local dealer says there's a Tec Service Bulletin; my claim wasn't entertained, as Mazda supposedly modified the spec in factory for models from late 2018 on.
2019 models aren't covered. :'(
Gerald
Thames Valley

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 08:39:20 am »
I would be very worried that "dealer washes the car" as in my experience this never ends well.
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline AndrewT

• Andrew
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 08:54:33 am »
Does anyone know details of the tech service bulletin that covers this issue with chips? I'm preparing to take mine to the dealer after lockdown to start the process of warrenty claim, mine has done only 21k miles in 2 years and is covered in tiny chips.
Thanks

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 08:54:33 am »