Author Topic: Rattle  (Read 50838 times)

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Rattle
« on: January 08, 2015, 10:07:55 am »
Have now started getting a rattle from the gear lever. It's not there all the time, but when it does happen, it's always at 70MPH/2000RPM. Just what you want when on a long motorway trip... not. Only way to stop it is to drive along with left hand resting on top of the gearlever (or slow down). Anyone else had this?

Alan
Current mileage 53175

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
Re: Rattle
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:19:21 pm »
Not yet, Al. You must have the highest mileage cx-5 and guessing you will be the guinea pig for any mileage type faults due to wear and tear etc, chance that something might have come loose or broke
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline Monkeyhanger

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:19:00 pm »
Had exactly same problem with my 2013, sport nav 175bhp , dealer acknowledged the problem but Mazda did not have a solution, dealer said Mazda were aware of the problem and were working on it.
First noticed at about 5000miles, at 11000 miles and 9 months old persuaded the dealer to trade it for a new 2014 automatic model for a small extra payment which also had the 2014 upgrade.
Hope you get a resolution.
Dave

Offline BigAl

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:36:19 pm »
As it's such a minor and intermittent thing, I'll probably live with it for now. It's a 40 mile round trip to my (generally less than helpful) dealers and - as it was only serviced 5k miles ago, it may be that I'll get rid of the car before the next service as I'll have had it for three years in August. They also generally need about 2-3 weeks notice to get the car in to look at anything anyway!

Alan
Current mileage 55025

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 11:19:17 am »
2 to 3 weeks to look at your car! I lost my Bluetooth connection. I drove into my dealer's car park and someone came to see what I wanted.
Within 15 minutes the system had been rebooted and I had signed off the paperwork for them to claim on the warranty.

Offline BigAl

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 10:18:53 am »
Well, after a couple of round trips to Scotland with one hand steering and one on the lever to stop the rattle, I finally had to bite the bullet on this one and get it checked. So, having been assessed a couple of weeks ago, it's now in the garage for up to a week for "further investigation". Now running around in a 2 (sadly, not the new one). Just hope I don't have to go too far in it...

On a separate note, noticed that my dealer (Chambers, Tamworth) has changed all it's branding from Chambers Mazda to Chambers Hyundai. They have always had those two marques, plus Peugeot, so not sure why the change - they were a bit evasive about it when I asked why? Last time I saw that happen was when I had my Forester and the dealer was stripped of the Subaru franchise.

Alan

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 10:54:18 am »
Maybe the clue is in your previous post

It's a 40 mile round trip to my (generally less than helpful) dealers

They also generally need about 2-3 weeks notice to get the car in to look at anything anyway!

It's possible that Mazda might be pulling out due to poor performance.     

Offline BigAl

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 03:09:16 pm »
Update...

Car's engine and gearbox now in bits. Multiple parts needed. All but one of the parts arrived today, but one of them is not available until next week at least >:( Mazda now providing me with a hire car at their cost - yet again!

The problem is with the synchromesh hub mechanism in the box. Excessive free play is allowing the thrust arm to vibrate which transmits back through the gear lever. Apparently, this is a known problem that can affect any gear - 6th in my case. This is the third one they have had to sort out so far.

Separately, Mazda have confirmed that the dealer is not changing status, despite the Hyundai rebadging.

Alan

Offline BigAl

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 10:18:35 am »
It's back!  ;D

New 6th gear fork, gear, synchro hub and rings, plus input shaft and bearings. Cleaned and valeted, but the fact that there's a 1ft wide dirty strip down the middle of the roof suggests that they need a taller valeter...  ::)

Once again, the power of social media works - a Facebook post regarding their lack of a like-for-like replacement vehicle in these circumstances resulted in a very apologetic call from Mazda, with them offering to cover the cost of the imminent 62500 mile service. :)

Alan

Offline Howard

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 06:43:59 am »
Hi, I also have a rattle from the gear lever, always going uphill above 120k (I live in France) and it gets worse on long journeys. The Cx5 is a 2.2diesel, 1st started about 12000k and only happens after 300k plus, so iv put up with it, plus very difficult to do demo the rattle to the garage!. Now the car has 24k(15000m) and it's now rattling even on shortish journeys. Looks like a visit to the garage.
Iv had many new cars and if this car has to possibly have a gearbox rebuild I am not impressed.
Is this fault common?. Maybe this car has developed this rattle at a low mileage because here in France I do a lot of long runs.
Think I will also take a video of the rattling lever and the noise. Will be interesting to see how Mazda France deal with it.
Howard

Offline Howard

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 09:44:13 pm »
Hi, I can not stand the gear lever rattle any more after a 3000k trip to Portugal.
Armed with my best French I took the car in to the supplying dealer in Anguleme, exsplained the concern, they have booked the car in for 3days and a courtesy car was offered with out even asking for one.
I presume they must off come across this before. Slight give away was the CX5 in the workshop with the gearbox in bites!!!
Watch this space.

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 06:58:35 am »
Hopefully you'll get it sorted quickly. It'll be interesting to learn the root cause and what models it's likely to affect most.

Offline Howard

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 03:15:14 pm »
Well Guys, the Mazda went in 8am today, road tested with the technician,demonstrated the gear lever rattle,he said it must be an internal fault in the box.
Booked in for 3 days, I suspect it will be longer than that. As long it's fixed.
Have a new Honda Civic diesel as a loan car.. Seems like a nice car,dash is a bit quirky but you soon get used to it. Handles really well!!! Umh possibly next car?

Offline Howard

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 03:18:01 pm »
Well after 3 days with Honda Civic diesel I am suitably impressed to consider it my next new car.
The CX5 has had its gearbox removed and some spacer washers replaced.
I think there is still a vibration as before, only a long run will tell because that is when it rattles.
If it does rattle I will take it back again.
Starting to lose faith in Mazda, this is the 1st new car iv ever had to take back for a gearbox fault,not impressed.
H

Offline Howard

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 06:11:02 am »
Have just done a long journey and the dreaded rattle from the gear lever is still there!!
As before after a 2 hour plus drive,any speed over 120kph(speed limit 130 kph,motorway) really annoughing as on the motorway it's not unreasonable to want to do 130kph.
Service due in 3k, so now we have possible tps problem & gearbox problems!
The other thing that also seems incorrect is it averages 43mpg on a long run where as it does 50mpg normally.
I have always  considered Mazda's good cars? I'm changing my mind now.
Next new car won't be a Mazda.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 06:11:02 am »