Author Topic: ChipMax tuning box  (Read 26717 times)

Offline zoomer

• Phil
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
ChipMax tuning box
« on: June 30, 2015, 01:30:30 pm »
As requested here's some info

The engine cover just pulls off.  This is a view of the Maxchip connected, follow the Maxchip box cable on the right to the end of the commonrail (the 5 silver nuts) on the left and you will see the connections.

This is a close up of the connections.  1 originally was connected to 1a. So you are connecting 2 & 3 inline.

This will be very clear when you get the Maxchip box, the connections cannot be wrongly fitted as they are male & female so don't worry.

This is where I tucked the Box to keep it neat & tidy.

The Box is set at a standard number 3 out of 1-9 so you have to open the box to change the setting to your liking.  I set mine at number 6.  Beware number 9 is MAX and quite viscious.

I have driving with mine for about 1000 miles without any problems.  I drove the last 340 miles an B roads (all flat roads) and is returning an indicated 48 mpg.  Please note, this is managed driving, you will notice the first couple of millimetres of throttle is quite responsive, any more throttle will use a lot more fuel.  Try it before you mock it. This applies without the Maxchip as well.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:28:44 pm by Willpower »

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Re: ChipMax tuning box
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 01:43:28 pm »
Nice write up, Phil. Very helpful to have pictures showing how it sits in the engine bay.

That's also answers another question I was going to ask, whether it's a Maxchip or a Maxchip pro - obviously the latter.
https://maxchip.de/en/catalog/category/view/id/95/?xarea=5622&xmarke=94&xmotor=8917&xtyp=358

Alan

Offline zoomer

• Phil
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 02:10:25 pm »
Nice write up, Phil. Very helpful to have pictures showing how it sits in the engine bay.

That's also answers another question I was going to ask, whether it's a Maxchip or a Maxchip pro - obviously the latter.
https://maxchip.de/en/catalog/category/view/id/95/?xarea=5622&xmarke=94&xmotor=8917&xtyp=358

Alan

Lol, you beat me to it Al

Just noticed they've changed the bhp from 230 to 221 but left the torque the same
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:17:25 pm by zoomer »

Offline Fangface

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:26:02 pm »
Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated.

Offline zoomer

• Phil
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 10:46:23 am »
UPDATE

Just done a couple of weeks town & city driving and the fuel consumption has gone down to a steady 44.6mpg

Offline Fangface

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 09:07:39 am »
Zoomer, did you buy your box from the company direct in Germany or through someone else in the UK?  I am looking to fit one now as I have just heard back that there will be no cost to the insurance - the only difference is as I put the car through my business it is a fleet policy and I have to restrict the use of the vehicle to over 25s only which is fine as no one younger than that would be allowed the keys anyway!

Offline zoomer

• Phil
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 10:03:25 pm »
Sorry for the delay, been away.  Suspect you've already got one already, but just in case:

I went straight onto the site maxchip.de (it translates automatically) Change currency, click veh selection etc etc

Happy times

Offline Fangface

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 02:28:12 pm »
Sorry for the delay, been away.  Suspect you've already got one already, but just in case:

I went straight onto the site maxchip.de (it translates automatically) Change currency, click veh selection etc etc

Happy times

Cheers for the info.  Bought one from that site and have it in hand.  Not going to fit it yet as have the car booked into the dealer to see if they can update the software on the entertainment system.  It's had a couple of issues over the last few months - once the sat nav system failed to start and said there was not a system installed and the second time I got only a black screed with "please check surroundings for safety".  In both cases restarting the car made no difference and the problem persisted but was fine after sitting overnight.  The other issue is that I can't connect my phone to the car via wifi to use the traffic updates so hopefully an update may help this.  Not much point fitting the box for a week only to have to take it out again when it goes into the dealer.

Offline Deepjoy22

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 05:35:55 pm »
Fangface - not sure what version your info/entertainment system is running on but I've just updated my system to v56.00.210 - sorted out a lot of small niggles I noticed.

Offline Fangface

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 09:47:26 am »
Fangface - not sure what version your info/entertainment system is running on but I've just updated my system to v56.00.210 - sorted out a lot of small niggles I noticed.

v55.00.300 came with the car so I am hoping the new firmware sorts the few niggles out.  Fingers crossed they can put v56 on if not I will try flashing it myself.  Where did you get the v56.00.210 firmware from?

Offline Deepjoy22

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 01:35:16 pm »
I got the v56 from this site (Mazda 3 forum) - but firmware is the same.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/98202-mzd-connect-all-firmware-version-only-downloads.html

There's a Mazda service bulletin that describes the steps to walk though with pictures - I think that is on the same site but I've taken a copy and can send if you need it.

No noticeable problems with v56 so far myself after 4 days.

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 09:12:16 am »
Do you have any power graphs for the magic box to compare to the original.

And how much more fuel does it use?
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Fangface

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 08:51:50 am »
I finally got round to fitting my Maxchip Pro last weekend and was surprised at how easy it was.

The one thing I have found is that the setting it comes delivered with is quite harsh - a noticeable increase in power but no increase in fuel efficiency so I think I will turn it down slightly.  Zoomer - you said you had turned yours down so this is more directed at you - inside the box there are 3 switches, do you need to turn all three down to the lower setting or just one of them?

Offline zoomer

• Phil
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 11:09:27 pm »
I have a wheel dial inside the box marked from 0 - 9.  It was set at 3 so I turned the wheel with a small screwdriver to number 6.

I have the Maxchip Pro, have you got the same?

Offline Fangface

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 10:20:35 am »
I have a wheel dial inside the box marked from 0 - 9.  It was set at 3 so I turned the wheel with a small screwdriver to number 6.

I have the Maxchip Pro, have you got the same?

Hi Zoomer,

Yes, it is the Maxchip Pro I have and inside the box is a circuit board with three small switches which are numbered from 0 to 9 and then A, B, C.   It sounds like we have a different internal design.

I spoke with Maxchip after sales and they told me to turn down the switches from the 8 they were each set at to 6 on the top dial and 7 on the other two.  This has helped the fuel economy noticeably but I miss the big boost the box gave when set higher.  I will likely turn all switches to 7 soon to see how it behaves to try and get a balance.   

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 10:20:35 am »