Author Topic: I thought it would never happen to me  (Read 3533 times)

Offline oldsteel

• If it works don't fix it
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
I thought it would never happen to me
« on: May 09, 2023, 07:39:46 pm »
I know its a well worn topic, but I am now looking at a £3-6k bill to get my 2014 AWD auto back on the road. I have 112k on the clock, the rest of the car is running like new, suspension tight, no rattles, no leaks, always serviced by Mazda. I have had the car since 2018, and until recently only needed to do the wear and tear stuff on the brakes and the odd suspension bush. I am not doing many miles in it now, probably less than 10k a year. Last November at 108k miles while cruising on the motorway the dash lit up like a christmas tree and the car went into limp mode. I discovered if I stopped, switched off the engine and restarted it would be fine for a few miles.  AA man diagnosed faulty turbo and Mazda agreed, fitted new turbo at a cost of £2k and it was all sweet again until 3 weeks ago when the serpentine belt snapped, luckily close to home. Back to the dealer again (fitting a new belt is a bit of a pig as you can't get at it without dismantling other stuff) who charged a reasonable £100 to fit a new belt. BUT, they advised me that the coolant pressure was high, a sure sign of a failing head gasket. Sure enough, this has been verified. I knew all about the DPF and oil contamination issues, but thought it would never happen to me. Looks like a classic pattern, turbo failure, head gasket and probably a recon head. Now it has happened to me and it looks like that 110k miles probably the limit for all these 2.2 diesels, which is very poor.  I have a mate with a 2013 Mazda 6 with the same engine coming up to 90k miles and I have advised him to shift it while it is still running well. The word is out in the motor trade, and Honest John website simply states not to touch any 2014 or 2016 CX5 diesel. They go on to add the petrol version is 'bulletproof'. Rather than fix it I am going to sell it as a non-runner for just over £2k and invest in a newer model. I have asked Mazda Uk if they will help but I just get the stock answer about warranty limitations. Has anyone had any joy getting 'goodwill' support from Mazda UK? I have read there have been some successes in Oz .....

Mazda CX-5 Forums

I thought it would never happen to me
« on: May 09, 2023, 07:39:46 pm »