Technical Section > Troubleshooting

CX-5 2.2 AWD - Fuel Economy

(1/1)

Maltadon60:
I own a 2016 2.2 AWD SE-L NAV Diesel 150. Automatic. I've always been disappointed with the fuel economy. I bought the car 1n August 2017 with 6.4K miles on it, it is now at 48K. Overall I've been very pleased with it apart from the MPG. when I first got it, on a long run ( motorway type ) I could get around 35-36 overall. In town maybe 31. It has been regularly serviced to full specification but the MPG has got progressively worse. Now on a long run if I get 30-31 I'm doing well. Worth mentioning that I never go above 70MPH. . Local driving, 27-29. Ive taken this up with the dealer ( western Mazda Edinburgh ) a number of times and they always tell me that there is nothing wrong with the car and everything is to specification. The service manager even had the cheek to say " It could be the way I drive "   In my professional working career I've driven over a million miles - I think i know how to drive !! I would appreciate any comments from other owners. Thank You

bw10030:
It will be the change to winter diesel, as the weather goes colder, refineries put more anti-waxing fluid into the diesel to ensure it doesn't freeze. Typically fuel consumption will go down by 10% when the winter fuel is used, but come spring, your normal mpg should return. It's not just us poor humans who don't like the cold weather!

Also, all my diesels have been sensitive to what fuel supplier you use - I get worse consumption from supermarket fuel than from 'branded' garages, so try a different garage and see if that helps.

Gel:
Premium branded fuel costs more, but gives better mpg????
From ESSO website.

What is the difference between regular and premium diesel?
Our Synergy Supreme+ Diesel has double the amount of detergent additive than our regular diesel, which helps give your engine a deeper clean. And the cleaner your engine, the more power you’ll get and the more responsive it will be.

Our Synergy Supreme+ Diesel is designed to remove more of the nasty deposits in your engine, which helps to look after your engine and give you increased fuel economy.**

Quinny:
I must admit that I always get better mileage from diesel bought from Costco in Coventry for some reason rather than local stations.
Autos are always slightly heavier on fuel which is why I went for the manual. I was getting 54mpg on the A14 yesterday which I was slightly disappointed with..I’m off to Cornwall tomorrow so I’ll see what it’ll do on a long run.
Have you done any long journeys recently as it could be the DPF possibly?

George IV:
I have a 16 plate 2.2 diesel manual and on motorway at 73 I'm getting 50+  round town 43-45.
Only big difference between yours and mine is mine is remapped to 240BHP    Costs about £200 could be worth it if you intend keeping for a while.
Don't think fuel has a lot to do with it I run on Esso or BP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version