Author Topic: Quality?  (Read 13695 times)

Offline CX5Driver

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Reflex Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Quality?
« on: February 26, 2018, 04:06:41 pm »
Be interesting to hear any comments from other CX5 owners regarding the general build quality of their car. Reading posts on the net (granted most people like to post negatives!) there seems to be a feeling that Mazda are trying to market the CX5 as a premium car but are lacking in build quality. Cutting corners on interior trim such as poor quality carpets and cloth/leather upholstery, thin coating of paint that is easily marked and ill fitting body panels are a few of the regular comments. Anyone have experience of these or any other quality issues?

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Quality?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:00:50 am »
Having run CX5's since 2012, I think the build quality is pretty good. I've never had any issues with squeaks, rattles, things dropping off, etc. I do think the paint is a bit "weak", but I don't think Mazda are any different to any other make in that respect, it more down to the ban on older type solvent based paints. The issues I've had have been with the engine (2012 model with the cheese camshaft) and with the infotainment system (2015 model).

Having said that, I went to the Volvo XC40 launch last week. First impression is that it's a lot better than the Mazda...

Alan

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 11:19:07 am »
Yes, I'd certainly be one of those who would in no way describe the CX5 as being a quality car. Coming from a long line of Volkswagen vehicles probably makes me far more critical than had say I come from another Japanese car. As you say, the carpet quality is something definitely not worth writing home about and I can't remember the last time I had to manually lift a metal arm to hold the engine bonnet up as hydraulic struts have long since been the norm. So, without repeating the items that you have already mentioned I think it fair to say that I'd go along with all those points. All that said, my greatest concern is the overall feeling of insecurity that I have when undertaking any reasonably long journey. This dilution of the engine oil is an ongoing theme or so I have read with the stated oil changes given in the manual of 20,000km being totally unrealistic and I find myself constantly awaiting for an alarm to sound telling me to pull over. This hasn't happened to date and in an effort to ensure that it doesn't end up with me pulling up on the hard shoulder of a French motorway in the middle of the night I get my local workshop to execute an oil change every 5,000km. An absolutely ridiculous position to find oneself in but that's one of the consequences of having a lack of confidence in the vehicle. We won't of course mention that my car is now probably worth very little as Diesel sales have plummeted although I accept that this isn't entirely specific to Mazda vehicles but I have the feeling that outside of a strictly controlled test environment e.g. away from normal road conditions, the so-called super-duper emission Euro 6 standard Diesel wouldn't be up to much.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:21:17 am by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline CX5Driver

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Reflex Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 04:08:40 pm »
The issue with the Mazda diesel engine was one which swung me towards the petrol variant. I know all 'new' diesels have issues with the dreaded DPF but the Mazda does appear to suffer more than most. My previous car (and current car used by my wife) is a Honda Jazz which has been bullet proof since day one which is over 10 years now. The general quality of the Honda is great with upholstery almost as good as the day we bought it. The Mazda cloth upholstery especially on the drivers seat is looking a tad worn after only just over 3 years. Is Mazda seen as a lesser quality brand than Honda? I did once own a Golf GTi back in 2000 that was far from reliable and who's quality was somewhat wanting. I guess it comes down to expectations. I did expect Mazda to be on par with at least Honda and Toyota and this may still prove to be the case seeing as I've only owned the car a few weeks. Any other opinions much appreciated!

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 10:32:05 pm »
Got to agree on the paint quality for sure. our 6 year old one is still going well at 40,000 miles, but tend to agree with other posts better cars out there but at what price? cx5 won what car suv for price range again.

will i buy another, mmm dunno liking merc e 300 hybrid estate, next change will research and test drive all
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 10:32:05 pm »