Author Topic: Wheel jack missing  (Read 10192 times)

Offline rmh2967

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Wheel jack missing
« on: October 09, 2019, 10:18:46 pm »
I bought my cx-5 back in June from a car supermarket.
Recently the ‘wheel rotation’ advisory came up on the dashboard. I thought I’d do the right thing and rotate the wheels, however when I went to get the jack out I saw it was missing. I know, I should have checked when I bought it but it didn’t seem an important thing to look at at the time.
I went to use my trolley jack but it didn’t go up far enough so I had to put a block of wood on the top, (health and safety experts please don’t read this bit!!).
I would obviously like to replace the missing jack but don’t know what type to get that a, lifts the car high enough and b, one that fits in the space in the boot. Any ideas where I can get one and how much they’re likely to be?

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Wheel jack missing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 06:00:34 am »
You're assuming that the car had a wheel jack from the get go. Most didn't and it was an optional extra along with a spare wheel kit.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Mary Hinge

• s**t happens
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 08:11:08 am »
Considering a spare wheel & jack to be an "extra" or "accessory" is  utter bollox, what's the down side?
It would cost the manufacturer a fraction of the cost it does us for them to put a kit in each car so just do it and add it to the price FFS  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 10:54:40 am »
Mazda standard is for no spare wheel or jack at all, just an inflation kit. They can get a space saver wheel and jack kit as an extra, but if you want a full size spare, the boot floor has to be lifted a bit. Plus if you have the later Bose audio system with the subwoofer in the boot, that has to fit into the middle of the spare wheel, I believe.  There is a space in the boot insert for a jack, but it's not supplied as standard.

https://www.sgpetchparts.co.uk/mazda/cx-5/2012-2017-petrol-2.0-163-bhp/Jack,-Handle-and-Wheel-Brace-11626.html

The downside of having a full spare and jack is weight, and it's effect on CO2 emission figures. It may not sound much, but it makes a difference. I've had CX5's continuously since 2012 and, although I've had punctures in that time, I've never needed to use the inflation kits at all.

Alan

Offline rmh2967

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 08:03:20 pm »
£52.00 for a standard jack?? Really?? I could get a decent trolley jack for less than that!

Having read the comments I wasn’t aware that it was standard not to have a jack. I do have the repair kit and compressor in the boot so I suppose that’s something.

It does beg the question though, if it is expected to rotate the wheels at regular intervals how do they expect you to do it without a jack? What a crackpot idea!

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 08:19:34 am »
£52.00 for a standard jack?? Really?? I could get a decent trolley jack for less than that!

It does beg the question though, if it is expected to rotate the wheels at regular intervals how do they expect you to do it without a jack? What a crackpot idea!
The dealer needs to have something to charge for  ;)
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline ceegee

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 08:32:12 pm »
As previously stated the vehicle does not come with a jack, why would it if there is no spare wheel?. I had my tyres rotated by the dealer at the service (£40+VAT) and was advised to have the tracking checked also, another £40+VAT. To rotate the wheels at home using a jack is a bit of a palaver as axle stands are needed to hold the car up whilst the jack is repositioned to lift the othe side of the car at the opposite side.

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 01:17:39 pm »
I bought a spare wheel kit but I was lucky as mine already had a jack as well as the solution and pump. Apparently earlier models it was included.
Without a spare there is not much point in having a jack. Rotating wheels is not really a home job although it is easy enough if you have a spare.
Beware of the TPMS on the early models when wheels are rotated.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 01:17:39 pm »