Author Topic: Rattle  (Read 48420 times)

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Rattle
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 08:43:09 am »
Have just done a long journey and the dreaded rattle from the gear lever is still there!!
As before after a 2 hour plus drive,any speed over 120kph(speed limit 130 kph,motorway) really annoughing as on the motorway it's not unreasonable to want to do 130kph.
Service due in 3k, so now we have possible tps problem & gearbox problems!
The other thing that also seems incorrect is it averages 43mpg on a long run where as it does 50mpg normally.
I have always  considered Mazda's good cars? I'm changing my mind now.
Next new car won't be a Mazda.

I must agree, both my Mazdas have had more problems than ALL my other jap cars put together and that's six of them including Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

My problems are a present squeaking brakes primarily when reversing the car when cold, last CX-5 was ok.
And the phone has yet again failed to connect after working for ten days following a second problem for the issue.

Last car had rising sump oil and had to have a vacuum brake pump replacement, phone again failed to connect everytime, live services also failed to connect everytime until a upgrade.
Car smart charging was faulty resulting in a flat battery and failure to start the car. Two trips to the garage to sort it.
First time a car failed to start since a Metro in the 80's.

Problems with my car before an Xtrail, a vibrating rear view mirror over 4.5 years.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:46:48 am by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 09:50:02 am »
I can understand your frustration but not sure one rattly gearbox means all Mazdas are poor quality. My dad had a car dealership back in the day and you would see the occasional Friday afternoon car...didn't mean the marque as a whole was rubbish (ok they were Rover and Renault but I suspect the general point still holds).

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 10:13:51 am »
Having been a very long Jap car fan i do now think that the Japanese recession has had an impact on their cars, they no longer stand out as being the most reliable.

In fact i don't think there is very little between any make now.

The Koreans have contributed to the fall from dominance of the Japs along with the Germans, Vag seems to be especially popular.
And having broken my run of jap cars with an Audi i can see why.
(I was close to buying a Tucson its that good, but i think the CX-5 is still better.)

4.5 years with the Audi, and i had all four wheels replaced at just under 3 years with no quibble, and they where perfectly ok except for a couple of tiny spots of corosion starting.
Prior to that i had the wiper blades adjusted, and a door window swicth replaced, nothing else.
4.5 years and totally reliable.

Offline Howard

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 12:13:47 pm »
Hi lots of very valid points made, one of the reasons I bought a Mazda was because in a previous life I worked in a Mazda main dealer and the warranty done was very low(under 5% of workshop load) .
The gearbox concern will be rectified as I'm not prepared to put up with a rattling gear lever.
I do believe most manufacturers have upped there game and there is not a lot to choose between them. Example.... Had A Citroen DS3 for 2 years,totally reliable,nothing went wrong. A few years ago who would off thought Citroen/Renault would ever of been throught as reliable, historically this is the domain of the Japanease brands.
Maybe my exspectations are to high,maybe due to the fact that iv spent £20k +  I expect things to be correct.
H

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 11:55:29 am »
We moved from a Hyundai to Mazda and the latter is so, so much better. The Korean car was mutton dressed as lamb, with problems constantly arising with the brakes, exhaust, trim, head lights and alloys / wheels. Would never go near them again or to the dealer, whose reputation for peddling high volumes and dreadful service is now legendary.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 01:49:43 pm »

Maybe my exspectations are to high,maybe due to the fact that iv spent £20k +  I expect things to be correct.

And with that statement I think you've hit the nail right on the head.  The build quality and QC is not what it once used to be across all manufacturers regrettably. I'm fortunate to have access to and regularly read a very popular motoring weekly over here in Germany and you'd be surprised how often the home brands get slagged off for reliability problems. On the other side of the pond, you in the UK have tended to be brought up on the once very true statement that 'Made in Germany' automatically reflects quality. Sadly this is not so although unless you are an owner of say a German car, and also say a Volkswagen by way of example, then unless in the trade you've really no access to reliability issues unless you invest a considerable amount of time in researching via the web. Even more disturbing if the press are to be believed is that although there are known issues with certain models and reliably proven from various sources, the manufacturers are often unbelievably arrogant in their refusal to accept that issues even exist.

Returning to the Mazda question. I researched heavily in researching the CX-5 prior to buying and can't tell you how often I revisited my local dealer to take yet another look or to confirm certain things that I had either hear or read. And yes, certain things about the CX-5, especially concerning the quality,  of build did greatly disturb me especially when balanced against the asking price. There are numerous quality issues which aren't worth repeating here and which are anyway only my opinion and if the real truth be known, my decision to purchase the CX-5 came down to the fact that essentially there wasn't really anything much better on offer without laying out a considerable amount more in money which for something that lost money heavily on a day by day basis I wasn't prepared to do.

One thing that drives me absolutely mad about the CX-5, and for which I have no definitive answer not having access to the design of the filling pipe/tank, is that I do not have any confidence whatsoever that the filling station pump will cut out automatically when a certain back pressure is detected as is designed to do. More than once I've had a spurt of diesel shoot out of the fill pipe because I've had the pistol full open waiting for it to cut out. Over here it's still legal (not sure about the UK) to be able to set the lock on the filling pistol so that you can walk away and the tank continues to fill. I've used this facility very many times with my earlier Touran and Golf before that, and the pistol has always shut off as designed. I would never consider exercising this option with the CX-5 as the shape of the filling pipe makes this unreliable. On other occasions the pump has cut off but by shifting the angle of the pistol a couple of millimetres or so several more litres can be poured in. Just to be clear - I'm not suggesting that I do, or that one should, fill up to the point that you see the diesel at the head of the pipe although in fact that did happen to me yesterday when the pistol failed to shut off in time. There is no fault with the pistol as the unreliability of the same has happened when using other pistols.

It is surprising how much extra fuel gets pumped in from when a pistol shuts off because I just happened to have inserted it into the fill pipe at the correct angle, to when it doesn't and one ends up with fuel at the top of the filling pipe. My fills are showing a return (from station receipts and automatic pistol cut-offs) of between 7.2 and 7.4 L/100km. When diesel almost shot out of the filling neck yesterday the resultant calculations showed 9.7 L/100km - a considerable difference. I'm now about to go into the garage to conduct a weekly oil check and will be keeping my fingers crossed that the level has not risen any noticeable amount up the dipstick.  :(
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 02:56:00 pm »
Guys.  Whilst all the posts about reliability and other issues are very interesting to read, they are not appropriate in a topic entitled  "Rattle"   

If you would like me to,  I can assemble these postings into another Topic entitled  "Reliability" , but please for the moment can we return to the original intention of this thread. 

Those who would like a "Reliability"  thread please let me know.

Offline Howard

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 08:06:55 am »
Hi, let's keep this post to its title please.
Well the CX5 is going in for its 40k service (€250) and hopefully it's 2nd gearbox repair. It's a bizarre rattle as it still only happens at relatively high speeds and when hot. The car is booked in for a minimum of a week, so let's hope they fix it.
Apart from this concern the car has been fine. 50mpg average and no oil use.
Howard

Offline Howard

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 06:55:57 pm »
Rattle still there. Mazda France don't seem to know what to do to rectify it. Spoke to Mazda Gb and there's a bulletin on it, Mazda France don't have it on there data base. So now iv had this rattle for 1 year. Surly the answer is just fit another gearbox.
I'm not unhappy with the dealership just Mazda. I certainly won't be buying another Mazda at this rate.
Does anyone have a no that I could call to move this problem on.
Howard

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 08:45:05 pm »
don't have a number but try the Mazda facebook page, they do seem to read and respond to messages on there

Offline Howard

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 07:34:14 am »
Thanks for the advice...I think the problem is not helped with the language barrier(French) as this is a technical issue.
I think after a year of this concern I've been very patient. So iv now posted it on Mazda France Facebook page & messaged them as well..
It will be interesting to see if they respond.
Howard

Offline Howard

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 10:46:19 am »
The latest in the rattle concen,they are going to change the gear linkage complete,if that doesn't cure it they are talking about a new gearbox.
Iv now sent them a video of the gear lever rattling.
Here's hoping the linkage rectifys it.
H

Offline Howard

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2016, 02:58:42 pm »
Hi, the Mazda went in today for the complete gear linkage to be replaced. Left the dealership,10mins later I returned,yes the vibration/rattle is still there. They have now requested permission to fit a new gearbox. Right from the start of this probably iv said to them that the fault is an internal fault in the box.
Hi

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 06:19:16 pm »
I had a simular farce getting them to change the wifi/BT module, 5 visits and two loan cars before they changed it, took 30 mins to change.

Mazda seem to waste money trying to save it, while at the same time causing great inconviance and annoyance, not impressed to be honest.

Offline Howard

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 07:06:54 pm »
Hi, another visit to the Mazda dealer in Anguleme, a €50 refund on the service bill.
Mazda won't replace the complete gearbox. They are going to replace 6th,5th gears,hubs,synchros,main shaft & all bearings. Let's hope this rectifys the fault.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 07:06:54 pm »