Author Topic: Walk away auto lock and double locking  (Read 4352 times)

Offline AahDee

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2022
Walk away auto lock and double locking
« on: November 29, 2023, 08:59:43 pm »
I have recently purchased a 72 reg CX-5 with the advanced keyless function and have read and understood how to activate the double locking system as detailed in the Owners Reference Guide.

Having started to use the Walk Away auto lock function, I can find no reference in the Guide or online as to whether this automatically activates the double locking system.

So, to enable double locking, should I forget about the Walk Away function and continue to press the lock button twice on the car key transmitter, or the request switch on the door handle?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline AahDee

• Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Year: 2022
Re: Walk away auto lock and double locking
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 09:11:00 pm »
Whilst waiting for a reply to my original post, I have continued to investigate the double locking system. I originally found that Walk Away Auto Locking was available whilst scrolling through Settings on the Mazda Connect screen. I still cannot find any reference to it in the Owner’s Reference Guide (ORG).

I now think I have found the answer and I post the details below in case anyone else has the same problem.

The ORG refers to the "security indicator light" (outline of a car and a lock in red on a black background) on the instrument cluster/dash panel on the following pages:

Page 3-6 (3-5 and 3-6 cover the Double Locking System) states "The indicator light illuminates for about 3 seconds to indicate that the (double locking) system has been activated" (activation being made by one of the three methods - using the auxiliary key in the door lock; pressing the lock button on the transmitter twice within 3 seconds; or, with the advanced keyless function, pressing the request switch on the door handle twice within 3 seconds).

Page 3-13 details how to arm the Theft Deterrent System: “(With the advanced keyless function) press a request switch (on the door handle). The security indicator light in the instrument cluster flashes twice per second for 20 seconds. After 20 seconds the system is fully armed”.

So, if using the Walk Away Auto Lock function, how could I check whether the car has been double locked? The method I used was to place the keys in a plastic bag, stand by the door after getting out of the car so I could see the dash through the driver’s door window and simply throw the keys on to the lawn (hence the plastic bag) far enough away from the car to imitate walking away.

In my case, the indicator light did flash for 20 seconds, thus proving the Theft Deterrent System was fully armed.

I’m sure the same result would be obtained if simply giving the keys to a third party and getting them to walk away from the car or placing the keys in a Faraday pouch.

I hope this explanation is helpful to anyone who may be interested.

Online cidersteve

• Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 03:43:02 pm »
thanks AahDee ,good piece of info  :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 04:16:47 pm by cidersteve »

Offline bw10030

• Colour: Snowflake White
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 11:15:44 am »
Be cautious! My wife managed to lock herself out of her CX3 - she put her handbag which contained amongst other 'stuff' the car key fob, and her mobile phone, having unlocked the car on the back seat. As soon as she shut the rear door the car self locked, leaving her stranded. Apparently, mobile phones can 'mask' the car fob signal, so the car does not see the key and autolocks. I had to bring her the spare keys to get in.

Now I tried the same in my 72 reg CX5, with exactly the same result - locked out of the car - but at home with access to the spare keys.

So on both cars I have disabled the autolocks function- it's no real hardship to press the fob button to open the car - especially as the touch to unlock function on the doors is extremely temperamental (it rarely works for me!).

Once again, a badly thought through solution to a problem which really shouldn't exist!

Good luck!

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 11:15:44 am »