Author Topic: Not all that impressed with Google maps/Waze maps  (Read 7734 times)

Offline m0bov

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Not all that impressed with Google maps/Waze maps
« on: April 08, 2019, 01:25:13 pm »
Hi all, I have a 2018 CX-5, I have the optional AA/CP fitted and tried Waze and Google Maps.

I've not been able to use Waze as a sat nav since after selecting a route, I don't seem to be able to select ok.

I have used Google Maps, and also tried the built in sat nav.

There a positives for the Waze/Maps such as more up to date maps and traffic, but the visual mapping compared to the built in is dire. I can't see the road names or junctions very clearly, on the built in its much better and more colourful.

I've sort of started using the built in more now, although its not as easy to program. I tend to have Waze on to warn me for things like jams/potholes etc.. Anyone else had the same experiences?

James

Offline Fangface

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: Not all that impressed with Google maps/Waze maps
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 02:27:28 pm »
I haven't used the built in system since getting Android Auto and have used Waze most of the time for longer trips but use Google Maps day to day as it has the benefit of knowing my previous search history.  If I am doing a local survey I do a quick google search on my desk pc in google maps and it is an option in google maps when I go in the car to go there as it is a shortcut to the left of the screen that remembers your recent map searches on chrome on a different computer.  I use Waze for longer journeys as the warnings are helpful and the real time traffic monitoring is also better than in google maps.  I also love the system from a music point of view as Spotify works well and is easy to use.  The only downside of the system is having to plug the phone into the cable as if it is just a quick 10 minute journey I tend to not bother connecting normally and just leave my phone in my pocket.

Offline m0bov

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 03:44:38 pm »
When I tried to plan a route with Waze I don't seem to be able to select the router to start navigation, I will have to try it again as I can't recall exactly. But I think I was turning the rotary dial and it did'nt land on the right icon.

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 07:51:22 am »
It doesn’t gel well with the command button, you have to keep turning it, sometimes backwards to get it to the right icon.  I suppose you should stop and do it on the screen.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

steve101

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 06:51:42 am »
I use TomTom with MyDrive. I'm in Barcelona at the moment having driven through France down to Malaga, stopping off in Barcelona on the way home. TomTom has been perfect. With MyDrive, you can select the exact route you want to take, save the route and it syncs with all devices on the account. It's much easier using your laptop to sort favourite places and routes. You can download the TomTom app free onto smart phones, it's the full version, and your first 50 miles each month are free too, so easy to try out. One years' subscription is £15.00.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 06:51:42 am »