Author Topic: Mazda CarPlay fitting - some questions!  (Read 7448 times)

Offline DanUK

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Mazda CarPlay fitting - some questions!
« on: May 14, 2019, 12:01:12 pm »
Hi there. I wonder if you can help please!

I have just picked up my beloved CX-5 (2018 model). I am really interested in getting Mazda to add CarPlay to the car as I had this on my previous car.

Before I proceed with this, as I am already aware of the price (£350), can I confirm:

1. was any damage caused to your car having thsi done? I understand they need to add a new USB port, which I assume means hiding new cable?

2. are any 'features' lost from the existing setup? I'm really keen it doesn't affect the navigation displayed in the Heads Up display

3. do all steering controls/entertainment control knob still work?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Dan

Offline Fangface

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2015
Re: Mazda CarPlay fitting - some questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:04:02 am »
Hi there. I wonder if you can help please!

I have just picked up my beloved CX-5 (2018 model). I am really interested in getting Mazda to add CarPlay to the car as I had this on my previous car.

Before I proceed with this, as I am already aware of the price (£350), can I confirm:

1. was any damage caused to your car having thsi done? I understand they need to add a new USB port, which I assume means hiding new cable?

2. are any 'features' lost from the existing setup? I'm really keen it doesn't affect the navigation displayed in the Heads Up display

3. do all steering controls/entertainment control knob still work?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Dan

I am not sure on the 2018 model but on my car (2015 model) they swapped out the existing cable and usb port for a new cable and usb port so they were replacing like for like and you couldn't tell anything had changed except the usb port now has a picture of a phone over one usb port.  All features previously working on the car still work but my car does not have heads up but I would be shocked if it caused any issue since it is an official Mazda upgrade.  Steering controls etc all still work the same. 

I only use the Android Auto features due to the phone I use but all features are completely independent of the main software and you can switch between the two at will if you wish so you can still have the radio playing while using google maps for example.  Personally I tend to use Spotify all the time now for music via Android Auto and it works great in my opinion and I much prefer Waze for long journeys and Google Maps for short journeys compared to the inbuilt Nav system.

Offline Dave

• IT challenged.
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:01 am »
Hi Dan

My car play is fitted as standard. The navigation heads up display only works if I use the Mazda navigation system, and not for the iphone maps.

All the controls still work as standard.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:01 am »