Author Topic: Coolant liquid spit  (Read 10491 times)

Offline alecs.blaj

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
Coolant liquid spit
« on: June 10, 2019, 02:23:44 pm »
Hello everyone here, it's my first post on this forum and I hope it's in the right section.
So I just bought a nice CX-5, about a week ago and the second time I opened the bonnet to check the engine (the first time it's been at the dealership, when tested the car) I noticed this kind of leak. After a closer inspection I found out that it's the coolant liquid. So I decided to clean everything and mark the level of the liquid (second picture) so I can find out if I really loose the liquid during driving. After another drive, I checked it and again I have the liquid splattered everywhere, but, the level went UP..( :o???)
Ok, now, is anyone here who dealt already with this problem? Or anything similar?
After a few tests, I noticed that it happens after overtakings, so full throttle, or on the motorway, long trips. Thank you
PS: the car is a CX-5 2014, 2.2 AWD Sport NAV, Auto

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Re: Coolant liquid spit
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 04:47:26 pm »
The level will have gone up due to expansion, check it again later. As for the leak, don't know but it doesn't look good. The pattern seems odd though?

Alan

Offline ceegee

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 05:44:39 pm »
Take it to  a garage who sould be able to pressure test the coolant system, under pressure they should be able to see where the coolant is leaking from

Offline alecs.blaj

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:36:33 pm »
thanks for your reply guys. I already checked the level when the engine was cold and I also opened the tap, so there's no pressure.
I attached here 2 more pictures. In one of them I circled the levels (F-full, L-low), but in this case, it seems like the liquid is far over the F limit... would you be able to check it on your cars please? In the second picture, I think that's where the liquid comes out from. As I said, using the car in normal condition, it seems to be fine, but when I push the throttle for a while, when I force it a bit, it seems to spit out the liquid (because it's too much?)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:01:32 am »
It seems the coolant is overheating when being driven hard, which it shouldn't do.

The coolant in the radiator will expand a bit when hot, but it should merely expand into the expansion tank until the rad temp cools, when it's sucked back into the rad again.  There shouldn't be enough for it to throw some out of the exp tank cap.  When cold the level in the exp tank should be somewhere between the min and max marks, probably towards the lower level.

Causes for overheating can include a faulty or blocked radiator, radiator fan not working, water pump faulty, coolant flow restricted somewhere, faulty thermostat.

The other, and most serious, reason could be the cylinder head or cylinder head gasket is faulty.  When this happens exhaust gas can find its way, under pressure, into the coolant circuit, thus 'boiling' the coolant.  A decent garage can perform a "sniff test" to detect the presence of exhaust gas in the coolant.

I think you need to contact the selling dealer to have the car properly inspected/repaired, or look into returning the car for refund.  I'm not too genned up on the procedure but have read that the buyer has a lot more rights than they used to have.

Offline alecs.blaj

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 01:03:20 pm »
sorry for getting back so late but I want to update everyone who's interested: the problem was the cylinder head gasket. I had a proper inspection with Mazda and the quote was around 2200. I had the car repaired by the dealer where I bought the car from. Thank you guys for your advices.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 01:03:20 pm »