Technical Section > Exterior Lighting

DRL failed - whole new headlamp unit required

(1/2) > >>

Fangface:
My car is in for it's second MOT and unfortunately a few weeks ago I was told the passenger side DRL was not operational when I was driving along.  Just had a phonecall from the local dealer that the LED unit is faulty and will not pass the MOT but it isn't as simple as replacing a bulb or just the dead led, the whole headlamp unit needs replaced costing over £600!  Things were so much easier when all you had to do was change a bulb if the lights didn't work.

kiakid2:
I think you have been conned!

I don’t see that your car would not pass the current MOT as according to this DVLA statement below:
MOT rule changes: 20 May 2018

Some new items are tested during the MOT.

They include checking:

•    daytime running lights on vehicles first used from 1 March 2018 (most of these vehicles will have their first MOT in 2021 when they’re 3 years old)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

Gclark87:
The drl part of the headlight also functions as a sidelight so this is why it would fail the mot in this instance.

boborob:
I have the same problem,nearside drl not working,I spoke to mazda they said get a report done by the
dealer which I did,and they said it might be done as a goodwill gesture,although I wouldn't hold my breath.

Fangface:

--- Quote from: Gclark87 on May 14, 2019, 09:24:00 am ---The drl part of the headlight also functions as a sidelight so this is why it would fail the mot in this instance.

--- End quote ---

Exactly right. I asked the same question regarding the MOT and this was the answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version