Author Topic: Binding rear near side brake.  (Read 24916 times)

Offline MikeH

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
Binding rear near side brake.
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:51:53 am »
Hi all, I haven't posted for a long time so am hoping someone will take pity on me and suggest a possible solution to the following. I have noticed that my car doesn't seem to freewheel very well on some occasions. This morning I had a tyre pressure alarm pop up, I pulled in to a garage and looked at the tyres, none of them were flat so I checked the pressures. The pressures were slightly low so I rectified this. Whilst doing this I noticed that there was excessive heat coming from the rear near side wheel. I reset the tyre pressure monitoring system which got rid of the alarm. Could the fact that the rear wheel got so hot affect the tyre pressure sensor and is there something I can do to rectify the binding brake/car not freewheeling as it should. After I set off again the car seemed to be freewheeling ok, I am obviously worried about the consequences of a binding brake i.e. Damage, wear and tear and fuel consumption.
Mike   

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
Re: Binding rear near side brake.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:31:10 pm »
Since it's a 16 plate I'd like to think it's under warrany.  Take it back to a dealer and let them fix it.  One wheel 'dragging' probably would throw the puncture light on since it works by the ABS sensors.

Offline MikeH

• Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:29:13 am »
Thanks for reply Bert, I have been reading some other posts in the brake section, it seems Binding brakes is a fairly common problem.

Mike

Offline Brentmere

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 05:19:16 pm »
I had exactly the same problem this morning in Lincolnshire. Mine was the rear offside. I also had the tyre pressure warning alarm come on, stopped at the next layby, to find all tyre pressures OK. The rear tyre in question was a 2 lbs higher. The wheel and disk were very hot and smoking. I called Mazda Assist who arrived after about an hour. He removed the wheel and rotated the disk. He thought the e-handbrake had been stuck on while driving. He followed me home for about 10 miles and we pulled into another layby, everything seems normal now. By coincidence I am booked in tomorrow morning for my 1st Years service, and I will be asking the garage to thoroughly check the overheating brake/wheel. I have not experienced any noise or grinding sounds. the mileage is only 6800 miles.  Mazda CX5 AWD sport 2016

Offline kiakid2

• Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:02:40 pm »
2016 - Rear nearside again!     

Don’t be fobbed off – there is a known fault and Mazda are not prepared to do a recall, and are sitting back until it manifests itself and inconvenience the owners, rather than bite the bullet and do a recall.

When my rear nearside “cooked” in France when towing my caravan I lost 10 days of my holiday as the parts were not available. A disc and handbrake seal kit had to be sent from England to fix the car.

A new caliper, brake pad set, seal kit and replacement disc is what you need to fix it properly!     

Offline Brentmere

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 09:43:01 am »
Booked in for the dealer to replace both callipers,,pads and disks.
Operating the hand brake manually has not given any trouble since.

Offline rmvf

• Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 01:36:28 am »
Hi all, I haven't posted for a long time so am hoping someone will take pity on me and suggest a possible solution to the following. I have noticed that my car doesn't seem to freewheel very well on some occasions. This morning I had a tyre pressure alarm pop up, I pulled in to a garage and looked at the tyres, none of them were flat so I checked the pressures. The pressures were slightly low so I rectified this. Whilst doing this I noticed that there was excessive heat coming from the rear near side wheel. I reset the tyre pressure monitoring system which got rid of the alarm. Could the fact that the rear wheel got so hot affect the tyre pressure sensor and is there something I can do to rectify the binding brake/car not freewheeling as it should. After I set off again the car seemed to be freewheeling ok, I am obviously worried about the consequences of a binding brake i.e. Damage, wear and tear and fuel consumption.
Mike

the first time my TPMS alarm went off in 2012 it was due to heat the monitoring system covers a range of both higher and lower pressures is what I was told by dealers, but not told what that range was ie 8 or 10 psi either side for example
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline rmvf

• Year: 2020
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 10:45:36 pm »
Both rear calipers replaced on 2016 model, lets see how long things stay ok
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 11:00:22 pm »
Seems to have been a problem for Mazdas for a long time.
I have a 94 Probe which uses 626 mechanicals and had serious problem with the original rear calipers. New ones look the same but have not given problems.
I used to keep an old glove to reach underneath and pull the handbrake off. 
My CX5 has suffered with corrosion, mostly of the rear nearside disc, as it has had some longish spells without use. One day I will clear space in my garage!

At only 15,500 miles i have just replaced rear discs and pads. The discs were in a very bad state which didn't do the pads much good. Car is now garaged so problem should not return.
I used Borg & Beck parts which include treated discs which just go straight on. At good prices.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 05:02:07 pm by MikeTB »

Offline howardsathome

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 11:49:02 am »
Hi to RMVF and others.
Last two days I have had binding rear brake feel. Also have noticed reduction in indicated MPG.
So far no indication lights. My question is what is the manual hand brake set-up on 2013 model CX-5 (40,000 miles so far).
Is it a separate Disc or Drum inboard on the axle? If there is a fault with seals etc what has to be replaced and what have users been charged for this fix?

Offline FireDiamondUK

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 02:41:34 pm »
I have just had this issue as well on my 63 CX5. MPG dropped over the weekend but figured it was DPF related as had done a lot of short journeys. Cruising along the motorway and car started juddering, got out and found smoke bellowing from NSR wheel. Mazda now advising it needs 2 new calipers and RAC warranty refusing to pay as they say it will be cause by corrosion and therefore not covered by them.

Anyone ever got anywhere with Mazda outside of warranty as seems a very common problem...

Also does not seem to be any aftermarket calipers as far as I can find, anyone know of any?

Offline howardsathome

• Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 03:44:15 pm »
Well well!
Which calipers, NSR Main Disc unit, or separate hand brake system?

Offline FireDiamondUK

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 10:27:10 am »
Just had the quote through - requires 2 rear calipers, discs and pads and they want near on £1k for the work.

Waste of paper RAC warranty refusing to pay for it also  :'(

Offline PeterUK

• Year: 2015
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 05:25:45 pm »
OSR just started sticking. Pulled over into lay-by when I could see smoke coming from wheel. Pissed into empty milk container, then poured on caliper and disk. Sizzled like a good fry up. It freed up brake enough to get safely home. Poured fresh water over it to reduce any acid damage.

No stupid comments please. It got me out of a "sticky" situation.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:27:39 pm by PeterUK »

Offline Mary Hinge

• s**t happens
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 07:43:56 am »
OSR just started sticking. Pulled over into lay-by when I could see smoke coming from wheel. Pissed into empty milk container, then poured on caliper and disk. Sizzled like a good fry up. It freed up brake enough to get safely home. Poured fresh water over it to reduce any acid damage.

No stupid comments please. It got me out of a "sticky" situation.
Reminds me of my mate when he started as a BT apprentice back in 1973 and his Foreman explained how pissing on the patching cabinet earth spike would sort a lot of intermittent problems   :D
He must of liked the job, he stayed until he took early retirement in 2015

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 07:43:56 am »