Author Topic: 2019 CX-5 2.2 Diesel - oil change vs. 1st Service?  (Read 8371 times)

Offline Hippogriff

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2019
2019 CX-5 2.2 Diesel - oil change vs. 1st Service?
« on: June 18, 2020, 02:28:16 pm »
I have a CX-5 GT Sport Nav+, brand new from Sep 2019... current mileage is at 3,600... for the last week or so an orange message in the central dial has been saying "oil change due" so I got in touch with my local Mazda (Barnsley, Perrys) asking them for the price of an oil change so I can get rid of this message... otherwise I'm guessing I cannot do it on my own and I wouldn't ignore it for too long (I'm not driving much at all these days due to Covid)?

Instead of quoting for an oil change (which is what the car is telling me it wants / needs) the response was - "The cost of the 1st Service on your vehicle will be £251.76; inclusive of parts, labour and VAT." - which is not what I asked for  ;) and, to be frank, not what I wanted to spend right now.  :(

But... is now the right time to consider a first Service instead of just an oil change? The car isn't suggesting that to me.

What's the best way to manage this car in terms of maintenance - is the Mazda App any good?

Lastly... at the very, very, very bottom of the email (almost as an afterthought) the lady said - "Please be aware there will be a £10 + VAT environment charge added to the final invoice." - who's adding that, and why? I've asked her... but it's always good to ask other owners.

Cheers, Hippo
Cheers, Hippo

Offline AndrewT

• Andrew
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
Re: 2019 CX-5 2.2 Diesel - oil change vs. 1st Service?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 02:34:34 pm »
I had the same on my diesel sport nav when I was in Austria in March, well before the mileage / date threshold for the service interval, after a day or so it went away again, and didn't come back for a month or 2, by which time the milage and date had reached the next service interval, so if you wait a bit longer it may disappear for while...

Offline Hippogriff

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 04:09:48 pm »
Soooo... I set up the Mazda App... I can see my car in there and it clearly says "1ST SERVICE" then "latest by 12506 mi or 04/09/2020"... so do I need to put up with the orange oil warning until then... or is it actually using some 'smarts' as opposed to a simple timer to tell me something needs addressing?
Cheers, Hippo

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 05:12:00 pm »
Guys if you go into vehicle settings under maintenance you can adjust time and mileage for service and another for oil change to your liking or even  disable if you wish to do so, hope this helps in some way.
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline Hippogriff

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 08:59:00 am »
Two quick things...

The Dealer is adding the £10 + VAT (so £12) themselves... as "The environmental charge this charge covers the cost of sanitisers, protections, cleaning procedures and disposal of waste materials..." ...I don't like costs being passed on like that, but we can all expect to see more of it, I guess.

These settings for oil change - that's in the car, right?  ;) If I alter that the orange warning might disappear and I can run happily until the 1st Service.

Oh, three things... the Dealer says the cost of an oil change is £195.13... vs. £251.76 for 1st Service (which includes that)... much more reason to wait. I'm thinking over £100 will be labour there.
Cheers, Hippo

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 09:58:13 am »
Just checked my invoice from the service I had last Friday. (25k, 2 years) Breakdown was:-
Oil - 5.1L at £14.40, £73.44
Sump plug washer, £2.21
Oil filter, £12.29
Cooling filter, £28.74
Brake fluid, £12.00
Labour, £182.40
Total £311.08
Also opted for an air-con sanitisation at £29.95.
All prices above include VAT
No charge was made for any additional sanitisation, but it was done thoroughly and the car then had a seal put on the door. Garage (Beechwood Derby) was very well set up for current situation, I thought.

Alan

Offline ROCKETRON

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 12:04:02 pm »
Hippo your oil change light may be due to degraded oil because of short runs and aborted regens filling sump with diesel and needing an extra oil change.

Offline Hippogriff

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 01:41:02 pm »
This last comment sounds very likely to me.
Cheers, Hippo

Offline Huxie

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 12:46:12 pm »
This last comment sounds very likely to me.

If it is oil degradation then you shouldn’t continue driving just to see if the orange light goes out. Check the oil level and see if it’s near or above the X:

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=828.0

Although I’ve changed my driving habits to reduce the number of short runs I make, I still get the oil changed every six months for my own peace if mind.

Offline Hippogriff

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 03:43:56 pm »
Ah, you still "get it changed" or you take the plunge and do it yourself (every 6 months)? I only ask as Mazda wants close to £200 for doing that... and it seems quite hefty, although I suppose Halfords are less than £100, but my previous diesel SUV didn't require any extra-special oil care like that. I will check my stick thing... suppose I'd better figure out to open the bonnet... I just drive the thing, y'know?  ;) ...just kidding, I've got the manual to review.
Cheers, Hippo

Offline Huxie

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 11:14:57 pm »
I have an annual service plan with Mazda so the oil gets changed then but I also pay separately for an interim oil and filter change, hence every 6 months. Mazda charge me £140 for this but this might include a discount for having an annual service plan with them. Although, as I say, I’ve changed my driving style to minimise the risk of failed regens/oil dilution, I prefer to mitigate any remaining risk in this way.

When I bought the CX-5 it was the most money I’d ever spent on a car by a long way, and as I love the car and it’s likely I’ll be keeping for still many years to come, it’s an expense I’m content to pay for my own peace of mind.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 11:14:57 pm »