Author Topic: What's your petty little niggle...  (Read 58982 times)

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
What's your petty little niggle...
« on: September 25, 2014, 05:49:27 pm »
...with the CX5. Just think of one thing you'd change.

Taking the fuel consumption out of the equation (which would normally be at the top of the list), mine is the auto headlight system. Not the headlights themselves but the way they work with the display lights.

The sensor on top of the dash detects low light levels and switches them on, then the console and display dims down as well. But this isn't being switched by the sensor, it dims simply because the headlights come on. So, if you are driving in bright conditions which requires headlights on (e.g. heavy spray after a storm in summer), you switch the headlights on manually and the display dims down so you can't see it. (Yes, I know you can override this with the trip reset knob, but it's a pain). If the sensor dimmed the directly directly then using the headlights manually would make no difference, it would always be at the appropriate setting for the cabin ambient light.

Offline howardsathome

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Re: What's your petty little niggle... Lighting Controls
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 04:58:50 pm »
Hi Big Al,
I have to agree. After 10,000 miles the positions on the stalks still confuse me, particularly as I frequently drive other vehicles.
A 'New' Mazda 5 loan car during 12 month Service was completely different. My wife's New Mazda 2, with daylight sensing lights, is worse again and the touchscreen for radio and satnav is oversensitive, the digits too small, and some are hidden till you touch the correct bit.
Not very good when you are trying to look where you are going!
Overall a nice car though, and a good deal on hi spec run-out model with zero % finance.

Offline Catamong

• Colour: Stormy Blue Mica
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2014
Re: What's your petty little niggle...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 10:16:44 pm »
I find the radio display very confusing, it doesn't clearly display the channel you are listening to as other channels are highlighted in blue, also I can't see the point of that silly knob in the middle behind the gearstick, it simply replicates all of the phone / audio controls, why is that necessary..?

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 09:35:53 pm »
I agree about the headlights and the display. Next time it goes to my dealer I will ask for the headlight sensor to be set to a lower light level (for some reason I cannot do this myself).

Just passing under a tree when the sun is shining is enough to switch the headlamps on. And they seem to wait ages before turning off.

My other annoyance is the message that pops up every time I switch to the Satnav, requesting me to accept sharing information.

Personally I like the knob in the middle. Once you figure out how to use it, it saves a lot of reaching for the screen, which in my driving position is barely within reach.

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 10:37:48 am »
The pathetic horn, which sounds like a leftover from a 1975 Morris Marina.

My wife's 2011 Fiesta has a decent two note horn and it's not a fancy model.

Offline DonofBourne

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 01:25:35 pm »
The digital clock is in totally the wrong place - the temperature control dials always take my eye before the clock does. The clock should have been an integral element of the display screen.  Great car otherwise.
I came into this world with nothing, and have most of it left.

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 02:46:32 pm »
Agree re the clock location. I'd add to that the kind of puny 'audio off' display which is your only choice if you aren't using audio, sat nav etc. My CRV had a digital clock that came up when the interactive screen was not otherwise in use.

btw MikeTB you should be able to alter the headlight sensitivity yourself. Go into Setup in the main display, then Vehicle, then Lighting and there's an option for setting the headlight sensitivity. I think mine is at Medium which seems to be about right for me.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:18:23 pm by twabrigs »

Offline Nig

• Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 02:15:08 pm »
The Sat Nav, I've commented elsewhere.  The clock... yes.  However it is better than where it used to be.  I think the horn on our new CX-5 is considerably better than the wet f@rt of the old one.
You can adjust the sensitivity of the lights and wipers in settings.  It took me a while to find it on the old CX5  The updated version is much easier to find in settings.

Offline Ant

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 11:38:26 am »
Niggles...or just Mazda "quirks"...?

The LED DRLs switch off when you come to a stop at traffic lights/ junctions...why? Can't help thinking the driver in front would be getting confused with lights going off and coming on!

The leaving home light function doesn't work if the lights are set to Auto. The coming home light has to be activated manually. Again, why? My previous Golf - which was nothing special - had these functions but they worked much more conveniently.

No bag hooks in the boot...

I should say that even with little idiosyncrasies like this, I'm loving the car!

Offline BigAl

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 01:14:51 pm »
The LED DRLs switch off when you come to a stop at traffic lights/ junctions...why? Can't help thinking the driver in front would be getting confused with lights going off and coming on!

I hadn't noticed this (yet); the normal DRL's on my old one did the same but only when you applied the handbrake. I guess this is the same.

Alan

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 01:34:47 pm »

I hadn't noticed this (yet); the normal DRL's on my old one did the same but only when you applied the handbrake. I guess this is the same.

Alan

I suspect it is to protect the battery life, as is the inability to listen to the radio with the engine switched off. Not long ago I was checking my tyre pressures on my Golf Gti with the engine off but the radio on. My xenons stay on when the ignition is on. Took five or ten minutes to pump the tyres up before we set off, but when   I tried to start the engine, it was dead. Called the chap out from GEM and he said it happens all the time now with all the electrics in cars nowadays. He also said he had a call out to a Range Rover where the chap had switched off the engine and listened to the radio for 45 seconds, using his internal reading lights, and had the air con on and the battery was flat. Might be worth getting a battery jump starter to keep in the car I suppose.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:37:51 pm by Caldean »

Offline BigAl

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 01:55:00 pm »
Strange? The radio should work if the start button is pressed just once. I had mine on for about an hour recently, using spotify via bluetooth whilst I was installing front and rear dash cams. I think it does time out after about 1/2 hour, though.

Alan

Offline Ant

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 05:20:21 pm »
Al, you're correct. The DRLs turn off when the handbrake is applied, irrespective of whether i-stop has kicked in. They come on again when you start moving.

Just for info, they don't dim when you use the indicators either but they do dim if you switch to sidelights!

Interesting stories about flattening batteries...must bear that in mind!

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 10:26:23 pm »
Handbrakes that always need adjusting on every service regardless of how much mileage is done ie 4000+, and that's not just the cx5 either we have had 3 other models. cant comment on how good these electric handbrakes are thou so value any opinions.
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline brian

• Model Grade: SE-L Nav