Author Topic: Is the CX-5 right for me?  (Read 13489 times)

Offline Luton Driver

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Is the CX-5 right for me?
« on: February 10, 2015, 09:48:41 pm »
I am thinking about buying a new CX-5 once the new version is released with the DAB radio.  I only want the automatic version so it has to be a diesel but I only drive around 6000 miles a year.   The car will be doing around 3 journeys a week of under 5 miles with a couple of 15-20 mile trips every other weekend with maybe longer journeys once a month plus a couple of holidays away a year.

Will I be OK with this car as I know there were problems with diesel pumping into the sump due to regeneration issues when the car was launched.  Was that issue ever fixed and does anyone here have DPF issues?

I have been driving a Ford Mondeo diesel automatic since 2010 and have had no problems with the DPF.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Re: Is the CX-5 right for me?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 09:28:50 am »
As far as I know, the issue of un-burnt DPF fuel getting recycled back to the sump is not something that they intend to fix. It's just the way the system works. It is a known issue, but I've never met anyone who has had it happen. I'm doing 25k miles/year so its never likely to arise - I think I've only had the DPF regenerate a couple of times in 2 1/2 years (you can smell it when it happens).

I can see why you'd be considering the diesel to get the auto box, but I would think very hard about whether to go down the route of a diesel CX5 solely for that reason. You might be better waiting for the CX3 and see what options are available on that?

Alan

Offline Luton Driver

• Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:50:29 am »
I have been a lurker here for some while and either the CX-5 is selling in very small numbers or it is basically a fairly fault free car apart from the issue with rising oil levels due to diesel in the sump which actually doesn't seem to have been mentioned much here but has on other websites.

I have read that Mazda reprogrammed the car so regeneration happens less often and for some reason changed the design of the dip stick.  It seems that if I encountered the problem Mazda's solution is more frequent servicing at around ?200 a time.   

Interesting piece here about DPF's as there seems to be two basic types. https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html. It mentions here about rising oil levels but I can only find this is an issue with Mazda.

Petrol automatic crossovers by other manufactures seem quite rare.  Nissan have the Qashqai but reading other forums the Qashqai has the CVT automatic  from hell which has major faults with it that Nissan can't fix.  That car needs to be avoided at all cost.

As I have already mentioned I have a Ford Mondeo which has never given a hint of a DPF problem which is my dilemma.  If my driving pattern has no effect with the Mondeo would the CX-5 now give me a problem?  I was hoping there was someone here who drives a CX-5 and only does maybe 5,000 to 7,000 a year.

My gut feeling is that I will have to let the CX-5 pass me by so I might end up with the latest version of the Mondeo or even the new BMW Active Tourer which is a MPV. 

Offline Pjw956

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 09:07:02 pm »
Hi . I am a newbie here but have a 2.0 petrol cx 5 manual.....usually get 44mpg have had since July 13....and can say its one of the best cars I have ever had....if you want an auto (and personally I favour petrol)then it may pay to take a look at the up coming cx 3 ....which appears to offer an auto petrol..obviously a smaller car but it looks great in the pictures.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 09:07:02 pm »