Author Topic: 2.0 L Petrol CX5 - any views?  (Read 32955 times)

Offline Clarice

• Shoot first ask afterwards..fewer questions
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2022
Re: 2.0 L Petrol CX5 - any views?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2022, 11:45:11 am »
Hi Caldean,

I am a proud and very happy owner of a Petrol CX-5, and have been for the last 15 months. Have now covered 13000 trouble free miles and achieving 40mpg.  It is refined, responsive, comfortable and still a pleasure to drive. Let me know if you have any concerns or questions.quote]
If you are not doing high mileage then petrol is the one to go for for a number of reasons:-
1. Motoring Hacks are more interested in 0-60 Times and whether the engine will rev to the max. Not something the everyday owner will want to do ( Yes' there are exceptions )
2. Unless you are high mileage 12-18,000 a year, only then, the diesel comes into it's own in terms of Mileage/cost of fuel'
3. Ad Blu is used on diesels nowadays to reduce pollutants, however when it comes close to 2 years it begins to crystalise and can clog up the delivery system which will cost a lot to replace. You will find on a yearly service if you are low mileage the garage will drain the adblu and replace it to prevent that occurring but again it is a cost you don't need
4. Diesels on short runs will clog the DPF (Diesel Particulate filter ) very quickly and unless you put it through a cleaning phase, that could be a £1000 cost to replace unless it goes through it automatically and that burns fuel to do so.
5. Having had a Diesel ourselves for 6+ years our mileage has now dropped to less than half of what it once was, we have tried the Petrol 2.0 CX-5 and found that there is very little in terms of performance as per everyday use, and Yes we tried it in both Sport and normal driving modes. the only difference is in sport mode you're going to suffer in your economy.
6. Depending on your driving technique you will find that the MPG even on a petrol can be good for a vehicle of it's size, if you are a traffic light Grand Prix type driver with the resultant crash stop at the next set of lights before revving up to get to wherever, then your MPG will be frankly CRAP. if driven with foresight and consideration it will be much better.
7. To emphasise the last point we have a 2 litre MX5 Roadster which is petrol and i can achieve 45+MPG when some others can't get past 29 MPG but that's down to driving style or as has been put Economy and speed don't mix.
Enjoy your Petrol CX5

Offline rmvf

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 12:04:51 am »
Wow clarice, where did you exhume this thread????????. Just to show how much the petrol has come on in 10 years, give or take 2 months, i did a 70 mph test between carlise and glasgow thru the night on cruise and got 44mpg, I will admit thou that above that its around 36 to 39mpg. It will be our 10 year anniversary of cx5 ownership in april i have no regrets.
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 12:04:51 am »