Author Topic: Side steps / running boards  (Read 19306 times)

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Side steps / running boards
« on: October 24, 2014, 04:08:07 pm »
As I hefted four bikes onto my roof rack the other day I looked with envious eyes at my neighbour's XC90 which although taller (and uglier) has a pair of side steps giving him an extra few inches of reach to his roof rack.

Mazda don't do side steps but there are various aftermarket ones, eg. http://www.direct4x4.co.uk/mazda-cx-5-side-steps-accessories-aluminium-running-boards-b88

That's fine but apparently these will foul the standard scissors or two post lifts used by garages. Had this confirmed by the Mazda dealer and the website selling the steps. The alternative is to use trolley jacks, which I don't think my dealer will be too cheery about come service time.

Any ideas / opinions? Seen any other providers of side steps for the CX5?

Offline twabrigs

Re: Side steps / running boards
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:51:25 pm »
Still searching for running boards that will fit the CX5 but not foul the jacking points. Posted a request to the Mazda facebook page, and they say "We did develop a running board with an external partner, but due to low demand we did not keep the accessory live in our catalogue. However, there are some dealers that are still showing the running boards in stock. Therefore please contact your local dealer to find out whether they do, or can point you in the direction of a similar product. The running board does not obscure the jacking points, especially if the vehicle lift has adjustable feet."

My local dealer is the one who warned me off the ones I can find on the market, so have asked Mazda to help me track down a dealer who may have a set still in stock.

Fingers crossed - will let you know how I get on.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 04:13:57 pm »
Update for you.

Mazda UK were very helpful, and pointed me to three dealers who have the now-withdrawn running boards in stock. One didn't reply to me email, another said they had them but couldn't sell them as they had now been fitted to a third demonstrator (!), but the third were happy to sell.

So, bought them for £370, had them couriered for another £50, and fitted for £100. Supposed to be a 30 minute installation but my local garage took about 2.5 hours...they discounted to £100 as they had originally quoted me about £40.

Photos attached, I think they look pretty good.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 05:15:44 pm by Willpower »

Offline thefixer74

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 06:56:28 pm »
Nice.
I like the plates you have to stop scuffs. Did you fit those?
Paul

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:16:58 pm »
we have mud flaps all round, welcome illumination ( not bright enough ) illuminated scuff plates ( handy and a little bit of bling ), rear bumper step plate, worth it if you have dogs jumping in back and boot liner, which is defo a good buy. I was thinking of getting roof rack for the bikes and after seeing side steps pics which I think look great and suit im not going to justify the expense of all that when I can just drop the seats and throw them in the back, obviously we are only 2 up, if 3 or 4 people and bikes then I feel its the best way and also still looks good.
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline Huxie

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 08:41:37 pm »
Update for you.

Mazda UK were very helpful, and pointed me to three dealers who have the now-withdrawn running boards in stock. One didn't reply to me email, another said they had them but couldn't sell them as they had now been fitted to a third demonstrator (!), but the third were happy to sell.

So, bought them for £370, had them couriered for another £50, and fitted for £100. Supposed to be a 30 minute installation but my local garage took about 2.5 hours...they discounted to £100 as they had originally quoted me about £40.

Don't suppose you still have the part number? I'd like to see if any dealers still have these available.

Cheers.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 04:34:48 pm »
Sorry I don't have the part number but the three dealers that Mazda UK said had them were Donalds Mazda, Ipswich, Wrights Mazda Beccles, and Coventry Mazda.

I bought the only set Coventry Mazda had. One of the other two dealers (can't remember which) didn't reply to my email and the other one confirmed they had a set but wouldn't sell as they had just fitted them to a third demonstrator. So last summer at any rate, either Donalds or Wrights in theory had a set in stock.

The other option is to buy aftermarket ones at a fraction of the price and then live with the fact that they foul the jacking points.

Best of luck!

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 04:34:48 pm »