• Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
MOT
« on: July 28, 2019, 08:02:58 pm »
Hi
We have bought a brand new Mazda CX5 in March 2017
I'm wondering if we received any document regarding the MOT. I know the first will due in next year but I don't have any proof in paper format. We going on holiday to abroad and I would like to know if the V5C and the insurance will be enough while we are traveling.

steve101

Re: MOT
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 08:41:27 pm »
You won't get any written information about the first MOT which in your case will be due in March 2020. You must have your V5 with you, your current insurance certificate and you may need a 'green card' issued by your insurance company proving that your insurance covers your vehicle in whichever country you are visiting. It's free (usually). I said, may need, as it will depend if we are still in the EU or not. If not, you will also need an international driving permit, which lasts for 12 months, and can be obtained from your local main post office. That costs about £5.

Where are you travelling and when?

Offline Isti

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 10:04:36 pm »
Thank you for a quick replay. We will go on 1st August to Hungary then Croatia through in all Europe towing a caravan.

steve101

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 07:02:51 am »
Nice trip. Hope you enjoy the journey. I'm assuming you will be back in the UK before March 2020 so don't worry about the MOT. As for the other stuff, if you are back in the UK before 31st October, no worries.

Offline oldcryptian

• Gloucester Man
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 03:33:29 pm »
You need to check with the Post Office website which international driving permit (IDP) you may require as some countries differ.  For example, in France, so too Hungary and Croatia, you will need a 1968 Convention IDP which is valid for 3 years, yet in Spain you will need a 1949 Convention IDP which is valid for 1 year.  The cost is £5.50 for either. 

Offline vbl

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 05:55:06 pm »
Got back from CR four weeks ago. I did get international driving permit as I was not sure if we will still be in EU as I left GB back in the spring. I was asked about MOT at the border but once I explained that MOT is only due after three years in GB, everything was ok. You can purchase Hungarian vignette online but keep details for a year as you can have problems if you can't prove later on that you purchased it. Two years ago my brother paid in cash on the border but did not check that the receipt had his vehicle number on it. Three months after returning to UK, he received demand for a fine of £74 for non-payment of vignette. As it was cash payment, he had no proof nor did he keep the receipt. It turned out the people at the service station where he paid, took his money and gave him false receipt without the vehicle number, never recording his payment. Had to pay fine as they will send bailifs or take you to court.

Offline vbl

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 05:56:30 pm »
And you don't need green card for any EU country while we are in EU

Offline vbl

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 06:05:25 pm »
Forgot to say; go on DVLA website and download your Licence Summary as it is something that you may need to provide as we no longer have paper part of driving licences. That will provide your brief driving history since you passed your test. I was asked for it last year in Germany - of all the places at the service station when cops were just walking around and checking out the cars.

Offline Gel

• New to Mazda; enjoying my new CX-5
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 08:14:44 pm »
You can check MOT status here: