Author Topic: All Wheel Drive  (Read 16736 times)

Offline xb101

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
All Wheel Drive
« on: June 19, 2016, 09:20:23 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am about to purchase a new cx-5 Sport Nav and I was hesitating between the diesel 150ps 2wd and the 175 awd. I live in Scotland where roads are slippery and the weather moody and often drive between Glasgow and Dundee and I am wondering what's the option you have chosen and if you thought the awd was better than the 2wd and why.

I come from a skoda octavia 2wd and I have noticed that I often lost traction in paddles, however when I went to visit Arnold Clark a couple of days ago they told me I shouldn't chose a awd as it wouldn't change much, but I'd rather have an advice from owners that are driving in similar conditions.

Thanks.

Offline DC77

• 'It's a lot smoother ride in the back Mr Franks'
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
Re: All Wheel Drive
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 09:30:28 pm »
Wish I could help you there, but the petrol sport nav I have on order is unworthy of 4 wheel drive in this country!!!

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 06:23:10 am »
Ever since 1999 when i bought a Audi Quattro i've only ever used AWD cars, and i have no intention of ever having FWD again, i moved from RWD in the 80's and would never consider a RWD car again.

In snow which i assume Scotland may see some, FWD beats RWD for me having used both in snow, but AWD leaves both behind.
Fit winter tyres or all season tyres as a compromise and you will get through most snow the UK sees.

The CX-5 AWD is generally highly thought of but there are better systems available.

I've had to use a CX-5 in 4 inches of snow a couple of years ago to rush the wife to hospital, delays of upto an hour for the ambulance to arrive at the time.
I passed a car in a ditch and numerous others just abandoned on the road side, but managed the 25 mile round trip with out drama, in fact on summer tyres i was impressed.

AWD is also an advantage on wet roads etc, its downside is extra weight, around a 3mpg fuel penalty, and increased VED. Buy the 175ps.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Johan D

• Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 09:28:03 am »
Hi,

Ive owned an AWD version for the last 3 years, and whilst I have not driven it in snow its a useful feature to have when driving in poor weather conditions. When it kicks in it make the car feel planted and very stable.

If I lived in your neck of the woods an AWD model would be a no brainer for me.

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 09:58:38 am »
I wouldn't dream of not having AWD in an SUV. I live in the Peak District of Derbyshire and it can make the difference between me getting too and from work. I drive passenger trains so I need to be there on time.

Depends on your needs but if you take it one step further and get winter tyres on an AWD, they are astonishing. Arnold Clark just wants to sell you what he has in stock.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 10:35:14 am »
Welcome xb101, I'm in NE Fife so know the Dundee / Glasgow roads pretty well. We haven't really had 'proper' snow in the two years I've had the CX5 but the AWD does give you more chance of grip when roads are wet or greasy. Apparently the biggest differences is made by winter tyres as others have said, and there are plenty of youtube videos which will convince you that a FWD on winter tyres is better in snow than AWD on summer or all-season tyres. Haven't gone down the winter tyre route myself though.

I have replaced the original tyres with Michelins which I am certain have better grip in the wet.

On balance I'd go for the 175ps AWD again.

Offline Fangface

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 01:52:00 pm »
I live in Inverness and although the winters haven't been too bad since I got my AWD the couple of times I have had it on the snow it performed great. I was deliberately trying to put it in the worst possible conditions - sloping carpark in 4 inches of untouched snow and it just powered through them.  I also liked the power of the diesel engine as I took it a bit higher up and was passing a lot of other cars stuck by the side of the road.  In all honesty the conditions in the last year and a bit since I got the car hasn't meant that a AWD was essential but its nice to know that the option is there even when I go to building sites up dirt roads etc.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 03:36:58 pm »
It's got me moving in situations where 2wd wouldn't have, but it's not as good as a Subaru Forester (assuming both are on standard tyres). Winter snow tyres will improve things further. One word of caution though - 4wd or 2wd makes no difference when it comes to braking in snow (something that some folks overlook)

Alan

Offline xb101

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 10:45:32 am »
Thanks for all the answers !

So as a summary, you all like the all wheel drive version, although on snow I should have snow tires.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 12:08:28 pm »
Mines a company car and one of the reasons for picking the AWD version is that I have customers up your neck of the woods who I visit regularly, all times of the year. I do like to be able to get home again, it's not the first time I've been over Beattock or Shap summits in a few inches of snow... ;D I know the AWD used more fuel, but - for me - 43MPG true average isn't at all bad for a 175Hp, AWD car of this size and I can average much higher on an M6/M74 run than that. Plus the CO2 figures are the same for both versions so it helps with the personal tax. For the number of times we get really bad weather, though, I've never been able to justify a separate set of winter wheels/tyres.

Another comparison between the AWD on the Mazda with the symmetrical AWD on the Subaru that I forgot to mention though. The Mazda does seem to wear the fronts slightly faster than the rears. The Subaru wears evenly, I found. That car went back to the lease company after 70k miles with the original tyres still on (and still legal, I would add)! My first CX5 175 Sport needed new fronts at 35k miles and slightly more for the rear, if I remember correctly.

Alan

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 01:22:47 pm »
I do have a set of winter tyres on a separate set of 17 inch wheels (my Sportnav came on 19s). Winter tyres are not just for snow, they have a different compound that remains compliant with the road where all season tyres tend to harden and have poor contact. I have to go over the tops then down the motorway all year round and winter tyres make it a different car and can make the difference between avoiding an accident or not as they significantly improve stopping distance in cold weather. I change onto them in November and off of them in April and that gives me the opportunity to rotate them avoiding uneven wear. When it comes to snow, only the depth (enough to ground it) will stop an AWD CX-5 with winter tyres. Some tyre places will store your tyres if you don't want rims. I'm quite happy with 17 inch wheels as it gives more choice of winter tyre at a better price and it keeps those rims away from a hidden curb.

I had RAV4s before but I won't make comparisons with it unless you ask.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Southern Teuchter

• Old enough to know better Young enough not to care
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 11:50:37 am »
I now live in the S.E. of England where we haven't had snow that warranted AWD since 2009.  For that reason plus the fuel saving I bought the 150 FWD version.  However I'm a Scot, grew up there, and remember the weather well.  If I lived where you do I'd buy the 175 AWD, no question.   :)
Now: Maxda CX-5 SE-L Lux Nav 150ps 2WD Manual : Soul Red
Prev: Toyota RAV4 2.2 D-4D XT-R 140ps 4WD Manual : Black

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 11:50:37 am »