Author Topic: Re: LED headlights; driving in Europe  (Read 34968 times)

Offline ronmazda

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Reflex Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
Re: LED headlights; driving in Europe
« on: March 20, 2017, 03:53:01 pm »
Am about to take delivery of a new Sport Nav model and was curious whether there was someway to adjust the led headlights for driving on the continent.
I had a Yeti which could be altered via the personalised settings system on the car. Save all that sticky stuff on the headlights, which I hate.
Anyway, there is a bit on this forum from Mazda UK stating you do need beam deflectors. [albeit from 2015]
However a perusal of the manual for the car reveals the following:
"Headlights are equipped which do not blind drivers approaching in the opposite direction no matter what
side of the road you must drive your vehicle (left-hand or right-handtraffic). Therefore, it is not necessary
to adjust the optical axis of the headlights when switching temporarily to driving on the opposite side of the road (left-hand
or right-hand traffic).
l The Adaptive Front Lighting System"

Seems to me, then, if you have the led lights you don't need the deflectors?

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 08:45:27 pm »
I think Mazda’s use of the term "Adaptive" in this context is a little confusing but as I understand it, Sport Nav models have LED headlights with "Adaptive Front Lighting System" as standard. This system swings one of the headlight beams in the direction steered in, as the car turns.

"Adaptive LED Headlights" is part of the optional Safety Pack and is the system that automatically adjusts between high and low beam (by turning individual LEDs on and off, I believe) depending on the traffic ahead. I don't have that on my car but other members have commented how well it works.

I may be wrong but I would imagine that it's the Adaptive LED Headlights system that could mean beam deflectors aren't needed, assuming the car had the Safety Pack fitted. I'd check with the dealer to be sure though.

Offline aljshep

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:10:57 am »
I may be wrong but I would imagine that it's the Adaptive LED Headlights system that could mean beam deflectors aren't needed, assuming the car had the Safety Pack fitted. I'd check with the dealer to be sure though.
Off to France next week.  I asked my dealer.  He had no idea!

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 09:16:43 am »
Oh dear...that's not good! You'd think they'd check with Mazda's technical team? I've had technical questions answered by contacting Mazda UK through Facebook before now. They usually respond quite quickly.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 09:19:40 am »
There was a previous discussion here about this
http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=204.msg1055#msg1055

Seems the answer is no... However, I would have thought that the adaptive lighting would work as it uses the front camera system to detect objects ahead and adapt the beam round them? It doesnt "steer" them thought, that was the xenon lamps on the previous sports model.
This video explains the system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EZK_i4Zeoo

Alan

Offline ronmazda

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 11:43:09 pm »
The crux of the argument turns on whether you are referring to adaptive front lighting system [led headlights], i.e. not the safety pack lights which are described as adaptive led headlamps, rather confusingly by Mazda.
The text quoted in my op definately refers to the non safety pack led lights- so go figure!?

Offline aljshep

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 02:19:59 pm »
Off to France next week.  I asked my dealer.  He had no idea!

I tried a different dealer today and, after he checked, I was assured that all LED cars (with or without safety pack) will be ok. 

Offline kiakid2

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 05:12:06 pm »
I believe the previous statement is incorrect – having spoken to Portfield Mazda of Chichester, so I will be fitting beam deflectors again this year when I go to France.

Offline Brian14

• Retired but still working hard.
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 07:26:47 pm »
I have driven on the Continent several times and have fitted beam deflectors, Only the LED lights with the safety pack do not require deflectors.

Our supplying dealer also gave the incorrect information and only by contacting Mazda directly was the correct information given.

I don't find it a a problem to fit the deflectors but I was disappointed that we still had to fit them on the Face lift updated car (2016 model )
Retired but still working hard.

Offline ronmazda

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 07:52:27 pm »
I have driven on the Continent several times and have fitted beam deflectors, Only the LED lights with the safety pack do not require deflectors.

Our supplying dealer also gave the incorrect information and only by contacting Mazda directly was the correct information given.

I don't find it a a problem to fit the deflectors but I was disappointed that we still had to fit them on the Face lift updated car (2016 model )
So the vehicle manual must be incorrect. Who writes the english version of the manual?  Probably Mazda uk!
Maybe the best plan would be to drive round in the dark. Sounds familiar!
You have to wonder how many other errors there are.

Offline vbl

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 08:58:38 pm »
In the early 1970 we had Citroen Diane and went touring round Europe in it. It had a little switch which moved lights to point the way according to UK or Europe driving. Fast forward 45 years with cars fitted with every conceivable gadget - many of them superfluous expense - and thousands driving to the continent every year ...and we are sticking bits of plastic on lights!!!
Don't manufacturers talk to customers, read car forums or just think a little bit?

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 11:04:22 am »

Don't manufacturers talk to customers, read car forums or just think a little bit?

I'm probably the last person in the world who would lay claim to defending car manufacturers although in this particular case I do. Most of my friends are, or have been, employed in the car industry with a couple primarily concerned with 'costings'. You have to believe that for every odd new style screw that can be shaved off results in millions saved in production and tooling costs etc. So when management sit around the table for their regular pow-wow with someone asking the question of just how many of the thousands of Mazda CX5's produced and driving around Europe where they drive on the right are actually going for a holiday in the UK where they drive on the left you won't be surprised to hear the reply of very few.
The investment that needs to be made in manufacturing headlights that at the flick of a switch point either right or left is considerable and simply not worth it for the odd few vehicles that would use it.
Yes I appreciate that the 1970 Citroen Diane may have had such a switch but there again Citroen have always been an innovative (some would say quirky) company and let's face it, 1970 is long before globalisation and the word 'bonus' really took on some meaning LOL.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 09:09:57 am »
When I got my car 18 months ago, I was told by a dealer I needed deflectors (I have a Sport with the safety pack) so I've used them each time I've driven on the continent since then.  This post caused me to write to Mazda UK and the following is a very good response I got back from them.

Thank you for the enquiry through our Mazda Contact Us page. I note the request for adjusting the beam pattern on the Mazda CX-5.

I can confirm all Mazda 6th generation vehicles have a ‘flat-type’ beam pattern which means the vehicle will not need to be adjusted for driving on the left or right hand side of the road. This is the same for all halogen, xenon and LED style headlights on the new range of Mazda vehicles. There will be a very slight kick up, however this eliminates the need to add beam deflectors. Please refer to the examples below:

This first picture shows the headlight pattern made by a normal headlight. It is clear to see how the left hand ‘kick up’ continues to the distance. This will blind oncoming drivers if the vehicle is then driven on the right hand side of the road.

Image result for flat headlight beam pattern -
https://www.dropbox.com/pri/get/Public/image001.gif?_subject_uid=49341238&w=AAATerYQf9-ZJlubMnoS2Q0p14pKSOAqZUrqreY9NOhYWg

Please now compare the above to this beam pattern. This is common across all new Mazda vehicles including the vehicle in question. This is true for all vehicles with a halogen, Xenon or LED option fitted our vehicles.  It is possible to see a ‘kick up’ in the same area as before, however this time the kick up is controlled and is levelled off. This is what is known as a “flat beam pattern”.

Image result for flat headlight beam pattern
https://www.dropbox.com/pri/get/Public/image002.gif?_subject_uid=49341238&w=AABl2WqKe9TPuW3RjNw7SziHQ30N-2sHogGr_sCm-g-SOA

The CX-5 in question will have this beam pattern so no adjustments will be required for driving in Europe.

I've provided the two images via links to my public dropbox; let me know if they are not accessible.

I for one will not bother with the deflectors on my next visit (though I will carry a set to be on the absolute safe side).

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:41:21 pm by Deepjoy22 »

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
Re: Re: LED headlights; driving in Europe
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 09:29:56 am »
Morning

Re the Mazda headlamp pictures.  As the text relies heavily on the pictures, it would be very useful to see how Mazda are portraying this situation. There is no reason (house rule) that says you cannot include the pictures in your posting.  Just put the pictures on a hosting site (example Photobucket) and then include the IMG links in your post.
If you have a problem doing this then please contact me.

:)

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 04:06:54 pm »

I've provided the two images via links to my public dropbox; let me know if they are not accessible.

I don't see anything.  :( That said, I only have a 'basic account' with Dropbox so don't know whether or not that makes a difference and for the little that I use it, won't be upgrading any time soon.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 04:06:54 pm »