Author Topic: Recall - Diesel Engine Concerns  (Read 36262 times)

Offline longarm76

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Recall - Diesel Engine Concerns
« on: October 12, 2018, 02:35:08 pm »
Just received safety recall notification for the following -

Vacuum pump which provides braking assistance to be checked, due to premature wear.
Powertrain control module to be reprogrammed to protect engine from developing fuel injector fault, which could lead to stalling
Last thing is for sealing to fuel injectors, to prevent oil contamination.

Interesting thing is that my CX-5 had complete engine tear-down and clean in January due to oil contamination and carbon deposits at a cost of around £2k, put this to Mazda UK to be told that they have never heard of any faults relating to this and must have been down to poor maintenance. They wouldn't offer anything to the cost of repair.

What do you think my chances of raising another complaint now?

Offline makitamark

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
Re: Recall - Diesel Engine Concerns
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 04:04:32 pm »
I just received the same recall letter this morning!
Ive had my 2013 CX-5 for 2 years now, when I first bought it (with 6 months warranty) it ran ok, slight hesitation every now and again, but after 7 months it was running particularly poorly, turned out the twin turbo had failed on a 3.5 year old car..
Dealer I bought it from initially weren’t interested, new turbo was well over £1000 without the labour costs, in the end I bought the turbo and they stumped up the labour costs, which helped.
So, new turbo and initially it ran better, but not perfect, had/still has this annoying hesitation when applying throttle.
The dashboard frequently lights up like a Christmas tree, the last time (last week) I get “Low Oil Pressure, Engine Damage Possible” take it to my garage who drop the sump and find a clogged oil strainer, apparently they have seen this before on these engines.
The engine seems to stutter when on the motorway, and really feels like it’s misfiring, but I’ve taken it into the local main dealer and they can’t find anything, or more correctly the car computer can’t tell them what’s wrong, the service manager said to me when I picked it up “well we can start changing parts if you want” it all seemed rather hit and miss.
I suspect this recall will come to nothing too, we will see.

Offline Gclark87

• CX5 2.0 Owner
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:32:29 pm »
Most probably the intake is all fouled up with carbon and desposits

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 01:44:09 pm »

Interesting thing is that my CX-5 had complete engine tear-down and clean in January due to oil contamination and carbon deposits at a cost of around £2k, put this to Mazda UK to be told that they have never heard of any faults relating to this and must have been down to poor maintenance. They wouldn't offer anything to the cost of repair.

What do you think my chances of raising another complaint now?

I would think your chances would be very good especially if you can add support to your theory by say attaching an independent experts report.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline baz5000

• Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 09:44:32 pm »
Jan 2013 Mazda CX-5 - Im in the same position - Received recall this week - Four weeks after car started playing up with all the systems.  Power failing - Stalling - Stopping - Now off the road and in with dealer.

The servo problem I complained about last year but was fobbed off as not being a known issue - which I find really bad as to the possible safety implications on the road.

This was third Mazda - Will also be my last -  Safety is being compromised - Zoom Zoom

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 08:46:14 am »
Just had the recall notice (Sept 2015 CX5).  Not had any problems as such so I'm trusting this is to improve things for me as well as Mazda.  Booked in for mid-November.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 03:23:10 pm »
There is also an article in a German automotive website making mention of these issues and the recall. However, at present I can find no mention of it listed on the official KBA website,  the authority responsible for the issuing of recall notices. https://www.kfz-betrieb.vogel.de/mazda-ruft-die-baureihen-2-3-6-und-cx-5-zurueck-a-766250/ That said, the recall concerning the boot lid dampers was first mentioned on the site linked to earlier with the KBA following on some time later. From what I read a full days work is involved so I would imagine the cost to Mazda would be pretty high considering the number of vehicles/models involved. Interestingly the article states that the problems have been known to Mazda since March. Um.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Deeps

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 04:24:19 pm »
Stranger and stranger. Recall notices have now been issued here in Germany by the KBA although they are applicable only to the 2016 CX5 model.

1. Description:
Defect in the area of the brake booster leads to reduced braking force.

2. Description:
Non-compliant mounted injectors can cause engine failure.

Offline CX-Fiver

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 01:13:58 pm »
Got mine booked in for Tues 30th Oct and as said previously, Mazda need it all day - must be a biggie!

I genuinely love Mazda(s) and enjoy their (unfortunately flacid) attempts to get me to speak Japanese e.g. Kodo etc. Apparently this recall is all about "Kaizen" - the philosophy of Continuous Improvement. As many of you here in Blightly will know, we sometimes call this..... "Continuous Improvement".

Anyway, this is what Mazda are saying about the "Diesel Engine Concerns" safety recall.......

"This recall campaign requires the powertrain control module fitted to your vehicle to be reprogrammed, in order to protect your engine from developing a fuel injector fault which may in turn lead to the engine stalling.

Whilst the above work is carried out, your vehicle can now also be installed with the very latest and improved engine calibration software which will enhance the way your engine operates and improve the NVH / noise refinement characteristics of the engine itself."

Looking forward to seeing if it is quieter when I get it back but NVH isn't a big problem on my car vehicle. I'll post on that next week after the work's done.

It has to be said, well done Mazda for taking this very expensive step towards prolonging the life of our motors and potentially saving some of us from huge bills down the road.  8)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:26:55 pm by CX-Fiver »

Offline Huxie

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 11:37:19 am »
Got mine booked in for Tues 30th Oct and as said previously, Mazda need it all day - must be a biggie!

It's possible that it may not take as long as they've estimated.

My 2012 model was subject to 3 recall 'Campaigns' under the Diesel Engine Concerns:

1) Check operation of the vacuum pump which provides braking assistance and replace if necessary
2) Reprogram the powertrain control module
3) Check the sealing of the fuel injectors

(+ installation of the very latest and improved engine calibration software)

Mazda advised 2 days for the work when I booked it in. When I took it in for the work last week, the customer in front of me was getting his 64 reg CX-5 done for the recall and he was going to wait while they did it (they estimated 1 hour). As I booked mine in I queried the difference in time frames and they said his was only needing the software whereas mine needed the vacuum pump looking at/replacing which would take at least a day.

However, fast forward 4 hours and they called to say I could collect the car as it was all done!

The job sheet shows:

Carried out Campaigns
AJ024D, AJ024A, AJ024E
No DTC's Stored, Oil pressure test passed
Tightened injector nuts.
Replaced VAC Pump updated software

When I asked how come it was so quick I was told the mechanics had now done a few of the VAC pumps and so they were quicker than expected.

Wonder if Mazda UK are still paying them for 2 days of work  ::)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:39:49 am by Huxie »

Offline CX-Fiver

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 09:57:28 am »
Huxie  ;D  Indeed! I guess there's got to be something in it for the dealers to do the work, so Mazda take the hit. As you say though, 2 days does seem excessive.

Did you notice any change/improvement in how your car ran afterwards?

Offline Huxie

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 06:11:38 pm »

Did you notice any change/improvement in how your car ran afterwards?

Can’t say I’ve noticed any change but only been running around the doors.

Offline CX-Fiver

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 11:09:24 am »
Got ours back yesterday afternoon and same here - no difference.

Offline Lemot

• Colour: Stormy Blue Mica
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 04:13:09 pm »
Hi, after performing safety recall my cx-5 I noticed the safety engine check and iStop lights on the dashboard, another time the battery Management System Inspection Required which would disappear after the next start of the engine. Work cards do not received but I'll ask.

Offline howardsathome

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 05:12:43 pm »
Just like Huxie my 2013 CX-5 was examined/updated last week at 43600 miles. Campaigns AJ024 A,D,& E completed, and all within 4 hours. After 250 miles to & around West Country so far nothing adverse to report, other than all dashboard screen based pre-sets had been lost. Assume battery had to be disconnected! Initial improved MPG, 41 ipo 39 average indicated, didn't last after the M5 run. Will see what Full to Full Tank checks reveal over the few weeks.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 05:12:43 pm »