Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 129075 times)

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
What did you do to your car today?
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:46:38 pm »
Just checking in; I'm glad to see all the healthy discussion about the folding mirrors!  ;)
Today I braved the awful weather and started on the long wishlist of things I'd like for my new Mazda. Most car forums I've been a member have had a "What did you do to your car today?" thread, I couldn't find anything similar here so perhaps time to start one?

Anyway, I started with the DRLs, which I've been wanting to change to LED to bring the car slightly more up-to-date:

The standard P13W bulbs, not bad looking but I've been itching to change them since buying the car...

Much better! These were £15 from eBay and appear to be of good quality - time will tell!

Next up was the boot lighting, which was a big step down from the Audi I came from, which had a pair of bulbs in the roof illuminating the boot nicely. I ordered the Mazda branded LED boot light kit from SG Petch and had a go at installing it. I didn't take too many pictures thanks to the freezing weather but I"m pretty happy with the results;

I'll change the original boot bulb to LED in due course, and perhaps add a fuse to the circuit given that I've read various horror stories of fried CCMs!

Looking forward to see what you all think :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:53:52 pm by Willpower »
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 11:37:52 pm »
Great idea for a topic Richard. 

Come on then people, tell us, or show us some of the interesting things that you have done to your CX-5 today.  :)

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 10:39:26 am »
Got it dirty...

Alan

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 11:17:25 am »
Boot lights look good, was moaning (again) about the puny single light this weekend as I unloaded the boot in the dark. How easy is the kit to install?

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 01:41:36 pm »
Great idea for a topic Richard. 

Come on then people, tell us, or show us some of the interesting things that you have done to your CX-5 today.  :)

I hope to be the most frequent to post on this thread!   ;D

Boot lights look good, was moaning (again) about the puny single light this weekend as I unloaded the boot in the dark. How easy is the kit to install?

It's a shame I didn't take more pictures so I could show the install in progress - my infinite wisdom installing it in zero degree temperatures in the dark saw to that! It wasn't too bad to install to be honest, although I don't think I would have attempted it without having the service manual; taking the interior apart was probably the most difficult part as I was terrified of breaking something!

The installation involved taking the boot side trims out, along with the boot and rear door sill trims. A few 10mm bolts, a Philips screwdriver and a small flat-bladed for the plastic press-fasteners was all that was required. A 26mm diameter hole was cut in the side trims for the LEDs. After that it was a case of threading the new wiring from the right hand side to the left of the boot (to the wiring for the existing boot light) and splicing it using the provided crimps.

The instructions with the LED kit could have been clearer as it was all pictures with very little written explanation (allows for the same kit/manual worldwide I guess)
That being said, I'm very happy I took the plunge as the boot is now very nicely lit up in the dark. I bought the kit from SG Petch for around £30.
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 01:51:52 pm »
A link to the relevant page for the parts (and others)
http://mazda-cx5.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/accessories

Alan

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 01:24:47 pm »
No pictures and totally unexciting, but using very fine wet & dry paper I removed the paint from the towball - a requirement for our caravans AL-KO tow hitch.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 09:34:34 pm »
Cleaned the alloys 100% having 4 new tyres tomorrow, blackcircles 467 quid fitted
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:31:50 pm »
Cleaned the contents of a seagulls stomach off the bonnet before it corroded the paintwork. Might have been an albatross  !

Offline ColinX-5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 07:13:38 am »
Yesterday was good weather here and car is just under 12 k , so I rotated the wheels giving them a good clean and coat of wax back and front. These new style wheels are a lot easer to clean than the old style.

Offline Cornish CX-5

• Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 08:33:02 pm »
Decided to order the stainless steel under garnish kit from eBay China,  arrived earlier and fitted already.  Very impressed with the quality and easy to fit.   I also gave the car a good clean yesterday.

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 10:28:30 pm »
Me again!
Fitted LED number plate lights today:

Current lights:

Not bad of course, but I've got that LED itch!

Again, much improved!
The job was surprisingly easy (of course having the service manual helps a lot). Take out the liftgate trim (a few clips and plastic fasteners). During the few jobs I've done so far I'm getting the impression that Mazda have designed this car to be pleasant to work on, which makes a change from the Audi I had!  :D
Link for the fittings: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161884284609?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also gave it a quick wash this afternoon:

Next up: LED interior lights

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 09:46:26 am »

The job was surprisingly easy (of course having the service manual helps a lot).

Looks nice, and the service manual is available from..............??
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 05:32:09 pm »

Looks nice, and the service manual is available from..............??

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123825111-Full-Service-Manuals-PDF

I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting this, but it has already paid for itself *cough*. The manual is for a 2013 model so quite a bit will have changed for the facelift.

Decided to order the stainless steel under garnish kit from eBay China,  arrived earlier and fitted already.  Very impressed with the quality and easy to fit.   I also gave the car a good clean yesterday.

The car looks great Cornish! Do you have any products in particular that you'd recommend on Soul Red (waxes etc)?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:34:08 pm by RichardCX5 »

Offline Cornish CX-5

• Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 06:14:08 pm »

The car looks great Cornish! Do you have any products in particular that you'd recommend on Soul Red (waxes etc)?

Thanks!! I use a lot of Autoglym products as I have always found them to be very good.  When I got the CX-5 in october I gave it a polish with super resin polish followed by a coat of the HD wax.  The wax does make a big difference and the water will bead off nicely (and hopefully the mud too).  Since then just normal wash with snow foam and a car plan shampoo. The Autoglym Aqua Wax is also very good and just sprays on before drying the car.  I tend to stock up when Halfords have their 3 for 2 offer.
The soul red is a very nice rewarding colour and really shines when clean. 

I might have to copy your mods - the led drl's and number plate lights look very nice.  Do you have a link to ebay for the drl bulbs that you got?

James

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 06:14:08 pm »