Author Topic: 2014 sport nav awd 175PS - de coking and turbo issue  (Read 11153 times)

Offline alpy_nz

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
2014 sport nav awd 175PS - de coking and turbo issue
« on: July 28, 2017, 08:04:46 am »
recently bought a <25k miles 2014 sport nav- very nice car.

a month away from manufacturer warranty I decided to get it serviced and checked even though it had full mazda service history. Slight hesitation at low revs nothing major....

3 weeks later... its back -basically after dealer decided it needed de coked and then the turbo failied after that ... did not cost me anything other than inconvenience but really a less than 3 year old car with sub 25k miles....

is this a sign of things to come ?

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: 2014 sport nav awd 175PS - de coking and turbo issue
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:30:51 am »
Hopefully not... My turbo failed on my 2012 175 sport-nav, but that was due to the early production engines which had incorrectly hardened camshafts (debris shed into oil and blocked the narrow feeds to the turbo bearings).

Affected engines have VIN number up to number 163230 as long as it starts with JMZKE. See here for more info
http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=552.0
http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=439.0

Alan

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 12:22:19 pm »
Havent heard of engines needing a decoke these days as modern fuels are pretty clean. It may have been doing too many short runs and the PDF was clogged. But as the turbo has now gone it may have been degraded oil possibly due to known camshaft problem as they dont seem keen to tell people about that , assuming your car is in the range.
Anyway welcome to the site and I am sure you will enjoy your cx5 as they are a nice car to drive.

Offline alpy_nz

• Colour: Arctic White
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:42:05 pm »
yep have to agree its a nice motor to drive much better than my previous which was a Legacy. Other than this de coking and turbo fail had no issues so far. i checked my VIN against the range given and it is a  JMZKE but higher than 163230  as i would have guessed seeing as its a Jul 14 reg model. So hopefully not one of the camshaft affected ones.

i took out an extended mazda warranty just in case for 12 mo , which was about £250. My  plan being re evaluate it again in 12 mo time depending on how reliable it turns out to be. Had many mazdas in the past ( mostly 6's) and they were rock solid.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:42:05 pm »