Author Topic: CX5 accessories  (Read 26273 times)

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
CX5 accessories
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:59:12 pm »
Just over a week away from picking up my new CX5.  I’m just thumbing through the online accessories that can be bought for this and am interested from those who already have a CX5 what ones you’ve personally chosen, would suggest I go for as a priority or those that aren't worth it.  Those I’m considering (in no particular order) are:

• Luxury mats
  • Front mud flaps
  • Spare wheel kit (as an aside, is the space saver the same regardless of whether you have 17” or 19” wheels)
  • Aluminium pedals
  • Footwell lights
  • Scuff plates (illuminated)

Any thoughts on this appreciated.  Thanks

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Re: CX5 accessories
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:17:13 pm »
I have the illuminated scuff plates (quite nice, unnecessary but a little indulgence) and the footwell lights (utterly hopeless and a total waste of money as they are virtually undetectable).

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:18:41 pm »
I'd always recommend the auto folding mirror kit so they fold and unfold with the ignition, although you don;t mention those.

Offline Ant

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:17:15 pm »
I also have the illuminated stuff plates and footwell lights. I agree that the scuff plates look nice but are a bit of an indulgence! You can see the footwell lights (officially called 'Welcome Illumination kit", I believe) at night but as they're red, they don't provide much in the way of useful illumination.

The auto fold mirror kit at just under £100 is also a definite in my book.

I also have the boot liner (for trips to the tip) and rear bumper step plate (boot lip protector in a brushed aluminium effect) both of which I felt were worth investing in.

My dealer supplied mats with the CX-5 logo FoC but after only 3 weeks, the drivers side appears to be showing heel marks from driving so not sure if they are going to last or if there is a heavier duty set available.

I'm not planning to invest in the spare wheel kit yet (but ask me again if I get a puncture!). I doubt I'll go for the ally pedals either.

(You can get a view of the scuff plates and illumination kit in my post "Got it!" Under "I've just got/sold my CX-5")
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:23:20 pm by Ant »

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:53:57 am »
Still awaiting  delivery of  my cx5.. 3 weeks to go. Ordered the film door sill and boot lip protectors( well, I'm Scottish after all )  and the auto folding mirrors as I want to ensure the car is locked... don't trust the smart key .. Otherwise the car is that well specc'd I don't need to order much else..
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:12:51 am by Caldean »

Offline Deepjoy22

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 12:57:18 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Ant, think your car looks excellent; did think I might get the light trim myself.  Against the black it is spot on.

Follow up question re the folding mirrors; as I need to fold them before I go into the garage (the garage is quite narrow), can I still do this manually and also not have them fold out automatically when I reverse out of the garage.  ie: I'd just want the autofold to operate when the ignition is switched off everywhere except my garage when I'd do it before / after.

Based on comments I'll get the mats, spare wheel (despite it niggling me it's so expensive, I'll be even more niggled if I get a puncture) and front mudflaps to start which I can fit myself.  I'll then probably just go for the autofold mirrors (depending on answer to above) and maybe the illumination fitted a month or two later as that'll need to be done by the dealer.

On investigating elsewhere, I've also seen it might be possible to fit paddle shifters which I've had for several years on the Skoda and VWs I've had.  Seen this via the USA forums (though I wouldn't want the extensions as in this clip):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNedbR77iZ8&feature=youtu.be

As the UK models don't seem to have the 'sport' mode switch like they do on automatics elsewhere, the paddles would be useful - 5 more days to go and I'll find out :-)

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 05:05:25 pm »
Follow up question re the folding mirrors; as I need to fold them before I go into the garage (the garage is quite narrow), can I still do this manually and also not have them fold out automatically when I reverse out of the garage.  ie: I'd just want the autofold to operate when the ignition is switched off everywhere except my garage when I'd do it before / after.

I think that's a pretty big ask and beggars the question, why not just do it manually anyway ?

Offline Caldean

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 07:09:33 pm »
If the mirrors are similar to those on my Jag, they will fold automatically when you lock the car, but if you've folded them in manually to get the car into the garage, they stay folded on locking. When you start up and reverse out, they stay folded in till you manually press the button to fold them out. On locking in the folded out position, they will automatically fold in. I may of course be wrong on this as I've not got my cx5 yet. Dealer has just quoted me £195 for these mirrors fitted, so having a "conversation" with them as that seems way out from what others have paid .... If they don't budge, I'll go elsewhere and cancel some other options ordered..

Offline Ant

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 11:31:17 am »
Deepjoy - as far as I can make out, the manual mirror fold function (operated by turning the mirror adjustment switch to the 6 o'clock position) works as before, when the auto fold kit is fitted. So you would have to use the manual fold switch when driving into your garage. When you start the car to drive out, the mirrors will fold out automatically and you'd need to fold them back in manually to drive out (then out again manually, obviously!

Update to this - if you've folded the mirrors in manually, they WON'T then fold out when you start the engine until you move the switch out of the 6 o'clock position. Sorry if this is obvious but I've only just discovered it! I thought the auto fold kit over-rode the manual switch position but this seems a better arrangement.

Caldean - £195 seems excessive. My local dealer (Crayford Mazda) charged me £97.16 for supply and fit of the auto fold mirror kit. £55.97 for the kit, £25 for 1/2 hour labour plus VAT, at £16.19. I think others on the forrum have paid the same but one was quoted about £125.  The kit is a small box of electronics with a short wiring loom attached that is fitted inside the drivers door.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:36:35 pm by Ant »

Offline Deepjoy22

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 06:41:16 pm »
Thanks for that Ant; much appreciated and as you say the best way from my point of view.  Also useful to know a sensible price for the kit and fitting.  Again - thanks.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 08:08:38 pm »
can also confirm that's the way the auto fold works - the manual switch overrides the ignition one.

Offline Caldean

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 08:44:24 pm »
Thanks Ant. I'll be getting a new quote from them tomorrow so we'll see what they come up with.

Has anyone had the sill film / foil  protectors fitted. They cost around £40 for all four doors but quoted initially  £90 to fit, so I've asked them to think again on that too. They just need stuck on I think..

Offline Ant

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 09:37:54 pm »
I was charged 3 hours labour (£150+VAT) for fitting the illuminated, aluminium scuff plates and Welcome Illumination Kit (which is basically a couple of large, red LEDs, one each side, mounted in the front foot wells). I assume the scuff plates are self-adhesive or glued on but obviously they need wiring in as well.

I think the sales lady quoted a little less in terms of the overall price but I didn't get her to write it down so couldn't really argue the price when I collected the car - lesson learned there!   :-[

Offline Caldean

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 10:15:28 pm »
Thanks Deepjoy - I'm getting simple film protectors rather than the illuminated plates. They are simply to protect the paintwork - the illuminated plates look great and it's handy to know the price for these all the same.

When dealing with dealers, it seems the best way is to see everything in black and white...... sad but true these days :-(

Offline MikeTB

• Colour: Zeal Red Mica
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 10:27:04 pm »
I have the scuff plates on the doors and boot.
Also the folding mirrors. Odd thing is you leave the car for a while before locking it they don't fold.
I had a puncture after only a few weeks. Took one look at the kit and bought the spare. Only thing is it doesn't help the fuel consumption as its quite heavy.
One alternative would be to do what I did after my puncture. Buy a Tyreweld aerosol which injects fluid and pumps the tyre up - not completely but enough you can easily top it up with the pump.
Much less hassle than pouring liquid into a completely flat tyre - if you don't have a spare read the procedure and you may change your mind.
It is supposed to be temporary (like the Mazda kit) but I had a small wood screw which came out cleanly. The tyre is still holding pressure almost 2 years on.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 10:27:04 pm »