Author Topic: Adaptive front lights - observations  (Read 11291 times)

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Adaptive front lights - observations
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:23:14 am »
Just a couple of observations on these...

Is it just me or does anyone else find that having the blue main beam indicator constantly switching on/off on the dash as the system is working rather irritating (even though it's not actually main beam anyway)?

I've had a few instances where the system has failed due to "camera obstruction", even when there's nothing obstructing the camera windows (top centre section of screen) - adaptive headlight indicator then turns amber. In that case, it fails into "main beam on" position due to the LH stalk setting. It would be a lot better if it automatically defaulted back to dipped beam and then required the stalk to be switched back to reset and re-enable the main beam function?

Alan

Offline BigAl

Re: Adaptive front lights - observations
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 03:20:56 pm »
Another observation...

For the first time a couple of night ago, I was driving in the dark and thick fog. That gives an ideal opportunity to see how the adaptive lights work. Each light beam appears as a fan, which you'd expect. If you catch another vehicle up, each fan splits and divides into two, with the gap in the middle of each corresponding to where the vehicle in front is. The outer parts of each fan go around said vehicle and move according to where it is.

It's one thing knowing what it does, another to see it in operation this way.

Still very impressed by them despite the niggles mentioned previously.

Alan

Offline Gus

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 06:42:19 pm »
How are you finding the adaptive LEDs now you have been using them for a while?

I have gone back to dipping them as oncoming drivers get rather upset thinking I haven’t dipped then due to not seeing the change from “high” to “low’ beam.

Offline BigAl

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 04:25:18 pm »
I found that, over a period of time I loved them and I don't recall any issues with being flashed by others so they must have been working as designed. Well, since writing that, I've changed to the 2018 model. These seem even better, IMHO, that the previous, despite being a (physically smaller) lamp. Again, no issues, other than the blue high-beam indicator randomly going on and off! My only other thought was that it might be better if when the system fails (usually an obscured or steamed up camera window) it defaulted back to low beam rather than high beam. That can have you frantically fumbling for the stalk to adjust it.

Alan

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 04:25:18 pm »