Author Topic: AND Another camshaft turbo failure  (Read 24714 times)

Offline royhdg

• Car registered in April 2014 but 2013 model
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
AND Another camshaft turbo failure
« on: December 14, 2017, 04:33:41 pm »
Hi everyone - new member just registered.

Really wish I had done more homework before i got the CX-5!
Thought I would post here so that you may notice early signs of the problem.

Purchased new in April 2014 (maufacture date 2013 VIN number falls within faulty camshaft batch. Affected engines have VIN number up to number 163230 as long as it starts with JMZKE.)

I had mentioned during previous (April 2017) service that fuel consumption appeared to be down by 5mpg but ok on motorway drive.

The problem first started (15 July 2017) 10 weeks out of warranty just a low pitch hum like wind blowing through a chimney in a storm.(only 25300miles on clock) Returned car to Mazda dealer 2 weeks later - technician came out in the car to test with me - they said they can hear the noise but didn't know what it was and to keep an eye on it. (25500miles)

3 days ago (4 December 2017) hum sound turned into metallic whining noise with erratic revs below 3000rpm.
Plenty of smoke from exhuast when engine was cold. (over 3 months since initial inspection and now 27000 miles)

Day 3 (7 Dec 2017) it was booked into same Mazda dealer and a technician came out in the car - On journy to the dealer the metallic noise stopped and it sounded as if the car was being sand blasted behind bulkhead. Also loss of power at low revs - During the short drive with the technician engine started behaving badly, jerking, then as we approached the garage the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree with so many faults indicated. (this is the first time any warning has ever popped up, apart from low fuel and check tyre pressures) (27015miles).

Dealer phoned later in the afternoon to inform me the engine was in a sorry state and would require new camshaft and turbo. They had contacted Mazda (requesting goodwill repair) and there is a service bulletin re the problem RO73/15 listing which cars and VIN numbers are affected and the parts required to repair. It appears I will need pack A,B and C to repair and the dealers isn't sure whats in the packs until they arrive. The dealer informed me this was the first time they had come across this problem.

14 Dec. Just heard back from the dealer, car should be ready for collection tomorrow. Mazda have agreed 80% goodwill and I will have to pay £384 inc VAT. But, will get 2 year warranty on repair only.
What do you guys think?. Personally, I don't think Mazda have gone far enough regarding this repair. I think they should change the engine but I expect that will never happen. At least they should have covered the full cost of the repair and given a further 2 year warranty for the whole engine not just the repairs.

Roy

Offline ROCKETRON

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
Re: AND Another camshaft turbo failure
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 10:52:44 pm »
Sorry to hear about another one I often think that mine is the only one that’s still on original camshaft but that is the problem with forums they exaggerate the problems. All the forums together only report 20-30 failures which sounds a lot on a forum but is not many considering the amount of skyactiv 2.2d engines that are out there from 2012-2014. I think that as there is a lot of swarf flowing around the engine and they can’t be sure it’s all been cleared out that is why they only offer a warranty on the parts they changed, but really they should make sure oilways are properly cleared out and then warrant the whole engine. Also as it’s a common problem I fail to see why you should still have to pay something towards the repair as it’s not normal wear and tear. Good luck with discussions with Mazda.

Offline royhdg

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 11:17:46 pm »
Mazda are not willing to up the 80% contribution.
They said it wouldn't be fair on customers who have taken out extended warranties.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 01:34:15 pm »
It really annoys me that Mazda STILL won't acknowledge this as a problem after all this time (mine failed three years ago), and just act all surprised when it does!  >:(

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 03:29:53 pm »
I asked if mine could be looked at but they said that it wasn’t worth it as it may never go. Nobody seems to know how big a problem it actually is, ie how many have gone compared to how many engines in the chassis range there are. If it’s likely that they will all go then I would have thought that they would do them first as then they probably won’t have to fork out for new turbos and engine flushes. Or maybe they think that as the car gets older the problem may be sorted by someone else outside the dealer network at no cost to themselves.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 03:40:54 pm »
Nobody seems to know how big a problem it actually is, ie how many have gone compared to how many engines in the chassis range there are.

Oh you can be sure that Mazda do but I are probably under no legal obligation to reveal this information. I asked more or less this type of question from a good friend of mine who, until recently and retirement, worked for a prestigious German automobile manufacturer. His advice was that although a manufacturer will know how many and what type of regular faults any particular models experience they are under no legal obligation to release this data and wouldn't even be obliged to by any court as it falls under classified manufacturers data. Unless an issue is safety related it will probably addressed in a future software update and/or modifications made in later models rolling off the production line.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline royhdg

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 07:24:22 pm »
Finally got the car back tonight, engine sounds and drives as new.

But, it's not the same car!.

I have never had better than 36mpg average, sometimes 39mpg if I drove at 60mph on motorway. The last 6 months it only averaged 33mpg
Towing our caravan 1392kg never better than 27mpg.

I always took claims of mpg figures some driver claim of mid 40 mpg with a pitch of salt...Not anymore.
On the drive home tonight from the dealer approx 9 miles the car averaged 45mpg.. I couldn't believe it and carried on driving, arriving back home with 25 miles driven on a mixture of town and country lanes with 43.7mpg showing.

Offline kiakid2

• Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 09:06:06 am »
royhdg       Re: "I always took claims of mpg figures some driver claim of mid 40 mpg with a pitch of salt...Not anymore"

Sadly you joined the forum to last as the MPG data is out there on the Fuelly database……….and it is not right that you should have to pay anything towards the repair bill………I would go back to Customer services again given the low mileage of the engine.
Sadly when people ask me about my Mazda I tell them that unless they change their cars every three years be prepared to have deep pockets!

Offline royhdg

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 04:39:31 pm »
200 odd miles after repair and what a sad engine.

Started car last night and it didn't sound right, opened the bonnet lots of smoke and puffing noise. We left the car and our friends collected us.
Today I removed engine cover and discovered 3 of the injector clamps are broken, the first shown in photo must have just cracked now in 2 places and injector blown out which caused the breakdown last night.

Any thoughts?.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:42:32 pm by royhdg »

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 04:56:10 pm »
It seems a bit of a coincidence just 200 miles since they have rebuilt the top end. Could it be that they haven’t tightened something down properly

Offline royhdg

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 12:52:06 pm »
Dealer has put their hands up, although they say their technician followed correct procedures on reassembly, there is a further service bulletin regarding the assembly that they were not aware of!.
New parts on order for tomorrow and they sent a low loader to collect the car this morning.

Fingers crossed I get the car back this week.

Offline fez716

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 07:31:58 pm »
I have a 2013 2.2 diesel cx5 that we are having serious issues with, sounds like it may be a member of the faulty camshaft club. All started when the car started sounding a little more whiney from the turbo. A day or two later it stopped on the wife and wouldn't restart, after a while it started for a few seconds kicking out white smoke cut out and didn't run again. It is at the mazda dealers know and they say it has had a carbon clean and runs but belches the white smoke again. They tell me that the intercooler and pipework are full of gunk, Vin number starts JMZKE and ends 162177 does anyone know if this is in the affected batch
Thanks in advance

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 09:51:46 pm »
Nearly all 2013 model year are affected.   VIN number starting with  JMZKE and include all numbers up  163230. 

So yes you are unfortunately in that batch. The are several postings / topics covering this problem on this forum. It would be worth your time just doing a search from the HOME page using relevant words, to arm yourself with some information.

Offline Capt Hook

• Engine: 2.5L
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 03:33:55 am »
Thought you might be interested to know I have the same problem with my 2012 diesel CX-5 here in Australia.  Car went in for its 80,000kms service (50,000 miles) and I was told it had failed the vacuum test and the brakes were unsafe.  Then told they had to strip the engine down to find out why (??) then advised that there was metallic shavings throughout the engine caused by excessive camshaft wear and that it would have to be replaced.  I had noticed nothing wrong with the car at all.  Mazda Australia offered to replace the engine at their cost, all I have to pay for is an oil and a fuel filter.  If I read it right, it seems like Mazda here have acknowledged this as their problem and are prepared to effect the repair even though the car is out of warranty, but they have stopped short of a recall. Personally I think a recall should be undertaken because if the engine fails when you are at speed, the consequences (in terms of reduced ability to steer of brake the car) could be catastrophic.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 03:33:55 am »