Author Topic: Yet another 2.2 litre Diesel turbo + vac pump failure+de-coke  (Read 20166 times)

Offline tom99

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Yet another 2.2 litre Diesel turbo + vac pump failure+de-coke
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:58:17 am »
My 150PS, 2.2 litre diesel suffered a complete loss of power driving on the M6 at around 70mph, about 200 miles into a 500 mile journey from Hampshire to Scotland. I limped onto the hard shoulder from the middle lane upsetting the driver of the car I had just overtaken. A couple of advisory messages regarding the SCBS and TPMS systems came up about 10 miles before and I had planned to get to services and investigate but ground to a halt about a mile short of Charnock Richard services. Fortunately, I am with a breakdown service, Britannia Rescue who were contacted and duly arrived The breakdown service plugged in a diagnostic handheld computer and came up with the message

P0299 Turbocharger/supercharger underboost

(On hindsight, I had noticed something like a slight turbo-lag when I had accelerated onto the M42 from the M40 about 100 miles previously but it was only momentary.)

I was taken back to main dealer where I got the car in Newbury, Berks. They were not surprised by the failure and I think I was the third or fourth in the previous two weeks period.
The car is a 13 registration (purchased new, on the road Jun 2013) early engine model (chassis number within the early cam shaft failure range given on the forum) and at the time, around 59500 miles on the clock and a couple of weeks shy of 4 years old, hence about a year and 10000 miles out of warranty. I have had the car from new and it has been serviced at the Mazda main dealer to schedule.

Looked on the forum and found I was not alone, thanks to previous reports.

The car was off the road for 5 weeks due to lack of replacement turbos.

In the end, I was told the turbo, vac pump and camshaft were replaced and the head was de-coked. The service managed explained that the failure was due to the excessive carbon build-up rather than camshaft wear. The total cost was about £2500 for the two jobs, failed parts replacement being one job and de-coke the other. Mazda UK, through goodwill, covered 80% of the cost and I covered the £500 residual. I was told that since I had made a contribution I was covered with a guarantee against a future failure.  Mazda also covered the cost of a hire car for around 2 weeks of the 5 weeks when I couldn’t do without one.

Since the work was done, I have completed a journey up to Scotland and can report improved fuel consumption. I have previously posted on the forum an unexplained decreasing mpg value with mileage and I believe that this can now be put down to carbon build-up.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Yet another 2.2 litre Diesel turbo + vac pump failure+de-coke
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 03:55:03 pm »
The service managed explained that the failure was due to the excessive carbon build-up rather than camshaft wear.

Hmmm, I may be getting cynical in my old age... Having had the same problem on my 2012 model (albeit with lower milage than that), that sounds like more of an excuse than a fact. If that were true, surely a de-coke would be required at, say 50K miles under normal circumstances. I find that unlikely. I'm also surprised that they asked for £500 towards the cost? I think I'd have been asking to see the parts that were removed and photos of the cylinder head condition.

FYI, the P0299 is a generic OBD code that can be from any make of vehicle. But what you described matches exactly what happened to me (in my case also on the M42, but at the A5 junction)

Alan

Offline ROCKETRON

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:55:17 pm »
I am getting worried now as mine seems to be the only one that hasn't gone yet. I wonder what proportion of all the diesels sold in the vin range  had this failure. All the ones that have been reported online including the Ozzie site only amounts to 20 or so cars and they have probably sold getting on for a million of them so I wonder if the failure is inevitable eventually or is there a chance it may stay working good as the car still runs very well. If the chance of failure is high I would have thought that it would be in Mazda interest to change the camshaft to save the cost of also replacing the turbos and pump etc

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 09:44:29 am »
Ron, can I make a suggestion?

Write to Mazda, explaining that you are aware of this problem (describe it) affecting cars with VIN number up to****. Add that you know of a number of owners that have had engine failures as a result of this manufacturing issue. Ask what their recommendation is to affected owners. Point out that most have had full repairs done free of charge under warranty, but some who have had this happen after warranty have had to pay considerable sums. Include printed screenshots of relevant pages from this forum. Ask them to clarify what your position would be if yours fails. Most importantly, send the letter by recorded delivery. That way, if it does happen, you'll have evidence that your raised the issue with them even if they don't reply. If they don't reply, that would imply that they are ignoring the issue, which would help if it went legal. It's a bit of hassle, but it's what I would do in your position

Alan

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 10:28:08 am »
I think Al's advice is very wise. My car isn't in the VIN range but it does worry me somewhat as well.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 10:28:08 am »