Author Topic: Why no 4x4 ‘button’?  (Read 9519 times)

Offline MuddyPaws

• I ASPIRE TO BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I AM
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Why no 4x4 ‘button’?
« on: April 29, 2018, 10:07:31 pm »
I have a Fiat Panda 4x4. This is front wheel drive most of the time, but if the front wheels start to slip the back wheels are also driven. This, to me, seems just like the AWD Mazda CX-5. Where they differ is that the Panda has the option to choose permenant AWD up to about 30mph. Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems to me that both Panda and CX5 systems are basically electronic and the same. So why don’t CX5 owners get a button on the dash to by-pass the slip detecting electronics and allow us to select permenant AWD when needed?

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Why no 4x4 ‘button’?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 03:07:33 pm »
That sounds like the selector system I had on my old X-Trail (which was developed for the Skyline). Auto, 2WD or 4WD selection. I also had a Forester, which has symmetrical 4WD - as a result all four tyres wore evenly. I never found out how much as it went back after 75K miles on the original tyres!

The Haldex system on the CX5 can sent up to 50% drive to the rear; presumably Mazda, in their wisdom, decided not to give us mere mortals the option to make that decision ourselves  ::) Given that the front tyres do wear faster than the rear, I take that as confirmation of the switch from 2WD to 4WD is working correctly.

Alan

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 02:46:06 pm »
Al, do you know what generation Haldex is fitted to the CX5 out of interest?

I also have a Mk1 Audi TT which has a much earlier version of Haldex fitted. In the snow and ice you could really feel the difference, give it a boot full in the Mazda and the rear lit up for some nice 4 wheel drifting, whereas in the Audi front spin, and then some time later the power shuffles rearwards. System much much better in the Mazda

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 07:13:50 pm »
Just a guess, but perhaps technolgy has moved along quite a bit since the Panda 4x4 was released about 35 years ago, and now it can be made smart enough to know when it needs 4x4.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 07:26:00 pm »
Al, do you know what generation Haldex is fitted to the CX5 out of interest?

No, only that I read it somewhere a few years back. I just did a bit of digging on this and that may be wrong anyway. According to the Haldex drive entry on Wikipedia, Mazda aren’t listed amongst those using them. Reading the article below seems to suggest that it’s Mazdas own system?
https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the-mazda-way/cars-for-drivers/a-closer-look-at-drive-systems/

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 10:30:25 am »
It would make sense if it were Mazda's own system as cant seem to find any info about it... Its a good system either way

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 10:30:25 am »