Author Topic: Fuel consumption  (Read 285829 times)

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Fuel consumption
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2016, 05:24:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. 55mpg sounds good Is that when you were almost between 50 to 60. Yes I have noticed the mpg goes up between 50 to 60

Probably around 50mph or less, i can't remember but it was a steady relaxing drive in summer. And more importantly there was no DPF burn.
I had a burn today, read out is now down to 38mpg.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2016, 11:27:01 pm »
I've just done a trip from Dundee to Inverness then down to Edinburgh. Average mpg was 43.2. Granted much of the A9 is covered by average speed cameras, but there are a few stretches of dual carriageway and motorway too a's well a's some town driving. Not bad for a petrol ...

Offline Southern Teuchter

• Old enough to know better Young enough not to care
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2016, 04:50:34 pm »
One week old 2WD 150ps (about 350 miles on the clock) and the computer is averaging around 46mpg just now, which I'm reasonably happy with.  Mixed motorway and rural/urban driving.  Of course the real test is measuring a few tankfuls over a trip distance and I'll do that in due course but in the meantime I'm hoping to ease the computer average up as the car runs in better over the coming weeks and months.
Now: Maxda CX-5 SE-L Lux Nav 150ps 2WD Manual : Soul Red
Prev: Toyota RAV4 2.2 D-4D XT-R 140ps 4WD Manual : Black

Offline xb101

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:47 am »
Is there any chance we could plug ourselves in the OBDII port read the data and plot the consumption then plot the actual consumption based on refueling  ? or has anybody attempted this ?

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2016, 01:27:36 pm »
It's perfectly doable but what do you want to see?
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline xb101

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2016, 02:48:34 pm »
Plots of the actual consumption. I have noticed that there seem to be a few disparities between the readings and the actual fuel used and I am curious to see what's the actual difference ! (sorry I like plots  ;) ).   

Offline Dave

• IT challenged.
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2016, 03:57:34 pm »
Plots of the actual consumption. I have noticed that there seem to be a few disparities between the readings and the actual fuel used and I am curious to see what's the actual difference ! (sorry I like plots  ;) ).

Indeed. There seems to be about an 8% disparity. To add to the plot I'd be interested to know how accurate the odemeter is given the speedometer is about 10% out. And if the Odemeter uses software to calculate miles travelled then maybe the brim test is faulty as the mileage reading is flawed!

« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2016, 11:43:37 am »
Indeed. There seems to be about an 8% disparity. To add to the plot I'd be interested to know how accurate the odemeter is given the speedometer is about 10% out. And if the Odemeter uses software to calculate miles travelled then maybe the brim test is faulty as the mileage reading is flawed!

I've a feeling that speedometers are allowed to be out up to a limit - but only in one direction!  They're allowed to read higher than actual speed but never lower.  That way a speeding motorist can't ever blame his car manufacturer.  Up to 10% faster seems to be quite common in various cars when I've measured using GPS.

Odometers on the other hand I think have to pretty accurate - but not sure what the actual regulations are...

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2016, 03:59:53 pm »
Just returned from an 2,280km round trip pulling a caravan. I'd hesitate a guess that somewhat over 99% of the trip was done on motorways (French) with Cruise Control used almost non-stop other than at Toll booths etc but even here, having a t-card meant we were sailing through at close to 30kmh. The outward journey of 1,140km was done during the time of the recent French strikes meaning that I couldn't be 100% sure that fuel (Diesel) was always going to be available and as a consequence topped up the tank on more occasions than was absolutely necessary just to be sure. Using the brim-to-brim method it works out that the fuel consumption works out at 10.6 litres/100km which considering that I had 1200kg of Caravan in tow I am more than pleased with. Non towing figures aren't really that much less.

Only hick-up and I mention it only in passing and without the intention of inviting further discussion, was that the tyre pressure warning light illuminated approx 200km into the journey. Upon checking the tyre pressures this turned out to be a false alarm with the light going out after an engine restart. Darn annoying all the same but I'm thankful that at least the dreaded diluted oil light didn't illuminated. Also never once noticed (smell) the DPF regeneration which must have happened several times which is probably down to the driving at motorway speeds etc.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2016, 09:23:56 am »
Using the brim-to-brim method it works out that the fuel consumption works out at 10.6 litres/100km which considering that I had 1200kg of Caravan in tow I am more than pleased with. Non towing figures aren't really that much less.

In old-fashioned imperial measurements, that works out to be about 26.7MPG.  I've no idea whether that's good for towing a caravan or not I'm afraid.

« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2016, 09:25:46 am »
One week old 2WD 150ps (about 350 miles on the clock) and the computer is averaging around 46mpg just now, which I'm reasonably happy with.  Mixed motorway and rural/urban driving.

6 weeks in and my average has improved to about 48-48.5 MPG on the computer.  I'll be doing a proper tank measured reading in due course.

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2016, 08:27:31 pm »
Using the brim-to-brim method it works out that the fuel consumption works out at 10.6 litres/100km which considering that I had 1200kg of Caravan in tow I am more than pleased with. Non towing figures aren't really that much less.

In old-fashioned imperial measurements, that works out to be about 26.7MPG.  I've no idea whether that's good for towing a caravan or not I'm afraid.

Well its better than my 22.5 mpg towing this week! Which frankly I think is poor that's the true figure not the computer.

Offline kjkillick

• Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2016, 07:32:07 am »
I have the 150PS 65-plate Sport Nav. My commute is Bedford to Slough, mostly on M1, M25 and M4(Sometimes I come off at Maple Cross and cut through Denham/Iver to avoid traffic). I'm getting high 50s to low 60s on a run according to the computer. Average speed according to the car is around 30-40mph, but there are times when I can get up to 70mph. I'm using the speed limiter to ensure that I'm not speeding through the numerous cameras on the route!

Overall, I'm impressed with the performance and efficiency of the vehicle.
65 Mazda CX5 2.2D 150PS Sport Nav

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2016, 07:57:01 am »
It shows what reduced body weight and speeds can do, and no AWD or auto losses.

On a recent motorway trip i managed just over 40mpg on the computer, so actual around 38mpg. Speeds upto 90mph but mainly at around a boring 70mph (actual 66mph).

I have never used the speed limiter, does it employ braking for downhill, or is it like the CC which can exceed the set speed?

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2016, 08:04:26 am »

.........or is it like the CC which can exceed the set speed?

From this can we assume that for you CC isn't living up to what was expected of it? If so, then I'm a bit surprised because as I stated in another post, the CC on the CX-5 (Auto) is probably one of my favourite aspects and soooooo much better than the CC fitted to my now ex VW Touran. Even when pulling the caravan by setting CC to 100km/h the set speed is maintained continuously whether it be up or downhill.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2016, 08:04:26 am »