Author Topic: An odd one  (Read 24737 times)

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
An odd one
« on: October 04, 2014, 10:04:11 pm »
Was travelling back up the M42 on Friday when the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. It felt like the car lost power, almost as if going into limp mode, but this was brief. When all had settled down, I was left with a TPMS warning, a SCBS warning, an amber light for the TCS/DSC and the gear indicator had gone out altogether.

Got back to the office and phoned the dealer, explaining the problem and asked "is it safe to drive?"
"We can't say until we've looked at it"
"When can you fit it in?"
"16th October..."
So it would be two weeks before they could look at it and they basically said don't drive it in the meantime! >:( Decided to phone Mazda assist. Explained the problem and asked their advice. They said they'd have someone there in about an hour and a half. It was actually the RAC who came; he arrived just 20 minutes later!  We restarted the car only to find that all the warning lights had disappeared and the gear indicator was now working. He ran a full diagnostic, gave the car a complete check over, tyres, oil, etc. no problems. The only log fault he was able to find was that the turbo underboost sensor operation was intermittent (which might explain the brief loss of power). He gave me a full report which I can show to the garage at the 50k service which - given the aforementioned notice needed - I probably need to get booked in!

Have done about 200 miles since this happened and it seems fine. Fingers crossed...

Alan

Offline howardsathome

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Re: An odd one -Premature Christmas Lights!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 04:48:40 pm »
 Not a nice experience. Poor response from Dealer, great news about Mazda Assist, and good service by the RAC.

Offline BigAl

Re: An odd one
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:31:30 am »
...obviously wasn't crossing my fingers hard enough.

Noticed last week that there was a faint "howling" noise occurring at about 2000rpm and upwards, which sounds turbo-ish. It didn't seem to be affecting anything though and - as the RAC guy had said it was safe to drive - didn't worry about it as it's due a 50k service at the end of the month anyway.

This morning, I was overtaking a couple up vehicles up a hill (with a crawler lane) - as I accelerated, the turbo started faltering. It recovered, but it's left me worried. Car is booked in now for 22nd Oct (soonest they can it it in). Will be putting the Mazda assist number in my phone, just in case.

Alan.

Edit - just update my fuel consumption figures and it's risen by about 4MPG since this happened...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:39:49 pm by BigAl »

Offline BigAl

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:03:50 pm »
Update on the above.

Car went in today, had booked it in for this problem plus it's 50k service. Took the technician out for a quick spin to show him the noise. He agreed it sounded like the turbo.

Call back from then this afternoon to say that they had found a problem which they had been onto Mazda about and that they were going to need to keep the car until at least next week! They described play in the turbo impeller and mention was made of an engine flush (amongst other things), plus that Mazda wanted everything documented, photographed, etc, as this is a "new problem".

Reading between the lines, I reckon that the oil feed passage to the turbo bearings has blocked and the bearing is failing as a result. Hopefully will find out more tomorrow. Bad news is that they won't have a courtesy car available until 4th November, but they have said they will speak to Mazda to try and get a replacement vehicle organised.

Offline BigAl

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:42:54 pm »
Update - Mazda have authorised a replacement vehicle via Enterprise which I should have this afternoon.
Speaking to the dealers service manager, it sound like the diagnosis above is correct. Apparently, some of the earlier engines have a known problem with shedding material off the camshafts. It may be this that has blocked the oil-way to the turbo and would explain why a whole engine flush has been recommended. He told me that later engines used a different hardening process on the camshafts so that the problem couldn't occur. If I can find out the age of the engines this fault could occur on, I'll let you know (mine was manufactured June 2012, so is a very early one).

Alan

Offline BigAl

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 09:54:28 pm »
...and it's back!
Picked it up late yesterday just in time for a run down to London today. Summary of parts replaced:-
New turbocharger
New vacuum pump
New camshaft and followers.
Full engine flush required.
It was pretty much as previously thought. Material shed from an improperly hardened camshaft blocked some of the oil passages feeding oil to the turbo. The turbo is a new design which has a bush bearing (as opposed to ball or roller bearing) in the impeller. It relies on a pressurised oil feed for the bearing to float. Lose the oil feed and the bearing won't last long. Lucky I took it in so soon after the initial problem, it could have been a lot worse.
All sorted under warranty plus had the 50k service done at the same time. Got worried on the way back as there was a strong burning smell when I stopped and it was only doing 18mpg. It settled after about 10 miles so I think it was the DPF doing a burn-off. Checked the consumption on getting back from London and it was at 48MPG.
Alan.

Offline Andy Portsmouth

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Turbo Faults
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 06:05:53 pm »
I am looking for information re the previous "an odd one" BigAl
I have a 3 year (2012) old CX-5 which to date has been faultless and demonstrated the reliability I have come to expect from Mazda>
Unfortunately last week 10 weeks out of warranty while going up Reigate hill on the M25 (J9 - J8) the turbo stopped working leading to a total loss of power, Fortunately I was able to coax it to Godstone (downhill) at J6, where the warning lights for engine inspection came on. I managed a further 50 100 yards to get to  a safer place to stop before the engine cut out due to the DPF sooting up, due to the poor burn with out the turbo.

Having been recovered to my local (supplier)dealer who have now diagnosed a new Turbo is required and excessive cam shaft wear, this for a vehicle just over 3 years old and fully dealer serviced.

In relation to the post "an odd one" this seems like a known fault for the early 2012 CX-5 with the hardening process of the camshaft. If you have any further details it is my intention to seek assistance towards the costs, estimated £2500+

Cheers

Andy

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 12:22:49 am »
Google translate ;-)
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Turbo Faults
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 07:13:32 am »
I am looking for information re the previous "an odd one" BigAl
I have a 3 year (2012) old CX-5 which to date has been faultless and demonstrated the reliability I have come to expect from Mazda>
Unfortunately last week 10 weeks out of warranty while going up Reigate hill on the M25 (J9 - J8) the turbo stopped working leading to a total loss of power, Fortunately I was able to coax it to Godstone (downhill) at J6, where the warning lights for engine inspection came on. I managed a further 50 100 yards to get to  a safer place to stop before the engine cut out due to the DPF sooting up, due to the poor burn with out the turbo.

Having been recovered to my local (supplier)dealer who have now diagnosed a new Turbo is required and excessive cam shaft wear, this for a vehicle just over 3 years old and fully dealer serviced.

In relation to the post "an odd one" this seems like a known fault for the early 2012 CX-5 with the hardening process of the camshaft. If you have any further details it is my intention to seek assistance towards the costs, estimated £2500+

Cheers

Andy

It is a common problem.
At least Mazda will cover the cost of repairs.

Did you also have the vacuum pump changed?
I did and promptly got rid of my 2013 car, i was going to get rid just before warranty ran out be managed it earlier due to a good deal.
I certainly won't be keeping mine out of warranty without a extension warranty, hopefully a mazda one.

Just hope the car is worth something when i sell.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 02:09:58 pm »
I get mocked to death by the cynical for saying this but a lot of these problems could be avoided by not using supermarket diesel.  It clogs up an engine in no time.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 08:12:29 pm »
 ;D :D
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 08:12:29 pm »