Author Topic: Help cx-5 oil pressure  (Read 43784 times)

Offline Gazdkw

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Help cx-5 oil pressure
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:27:08 pm »
Hi, I hate joining forums with the aim of begging for help but needs must and I'm in need of some advice with our cx-5 that we have owned for 7 months and covered 5k miles.

The car is the 2.2 diesel and has 113k on the clock. We purchased the car because my partner was starting university and we needed a reliable car to make the 30 mile trip everyday and to get the kids to school/childminder etc.

Anyway on Tuesday the car randomly flashed up oil pressure warning then that went andenfine management light warning came up. She lost power and so she pulled over and called AA. The AA scanned the car with the following codes

PO55F - unknown
PO524 - unknown
P06DE - engine-oil pressure solenoid valve component stuck closed

We have taken the car to AA chosen garage (Bedworth MOT test centre) and they have said they swooped the oil pressure switch with a cx-5 they had in at the moment and it made no difference so they investigated further and it needs and engine rebuild and new turbo. He said the turbo had oil starvation.

We are really screwed here because our AA warranty only covers 2k repair bills and the garage mechanic said they already had a cx-5 in at the moment for same issue and the bill is 12k!!

We can't afford anywhere near that and are really stressing out here.

We would really appreciate some help if possible

Many thanks

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
Re: Help cx-5 oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:51:57 pm »
I suspect the oil starvation is caused by the camshaft poor case hardening that fills the oil channels with swarf and bits of camshaft. Usually the turbo is the first to suffer from the oil shortage. As the camshaft is a known problem I think Mazda uk should help with the failure, but due to your mileage and the fact that it's not now serviced my Mazda you will be unlikely to get any goodwill. Your best bet is to ask the AaWhat they think is the way for you to proceed, but definitely tell Mazda uk that you are unhappy about having to suffer because of a known problem and see what they suggest.

Offline Gazdkw

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 07:18:14 am »
Thankyou for the reply. Iv sent Mazda an email and I can only hope for the best. We are really worried as we cannot afford to pay such a huge amount to repair the car. We are still paying for it monthly. I really don't understand how they have come up with a value of 12k. The car only cost us 8k!

I wonder how much it would cost just for a replacement engine rather than an engine rebuild.

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 09:16:57 am »
If you got a replacement engine it would still need a new turbo plus any other ancillaries that have suffered from lack of oil. Good luck with it anyway and keep us informed.

Offline Gazdkw

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:01:58 pm »
Just spoke with the garage. They said turbo had lots of play in it due to oil starvation. He explained he has quoted 8k for new turbo and complete stripdown of engine to find cause and fix and rebuild engine. I explained that we could in no way afford the 6k difference with the 2k the warranty covers us for.

So he said we could go down the recon engine route but it's a dark road with recon engines and the warranty's they come with. They would charge £1300 for turbo fitted and £1000 for labour of fitting a new engine. A recon engine online is around 2k so there's still £2300 we would need to find.

He did say you could fit a turbo and the car would drive but how long the turbo would last because the cause of the starvation would still be present.

The other option is we get a turbo fitted and take it somewhere else for a second opinion and investigation for the starvation. Doing some research it looks as though short trips causes problems with the oil and diesel contamination. Also Like already mentioned the camshaft problem is possible.

Is there any way to rule any of these problems out?

What advice would you give?

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:41:28 pm »
Might I ask how long a warranty did the selling dealership give you? I don't know the time scale applicable in the UK but I would guess a standard period should have been included in the sale agreement.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:44:45 pm »
Really feel for you, this is very unfortunate. There's a lot of documented history of oil contamination and oil pressure problems with earlier models but these were 'solved' by Mazda by a software update and a different dipstick. Did the garage that sold it to you do those updates? If not is there some liability on their part even if it's now out of their warranty?

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 03:06:00 pm »
but these were 'solved' by Mazda by a software update and a different dipstick.

I think the only change that was brought about by replacement dipsticks (now marked with an 'X' above the usual top full mark) was to give an indication of the maximum allowable oil/fuel contamination tolerance. It didn't actually do anything about curing the problem of oil dilution in the first place and a lot of owners - me included - thought it was something of a gimmick anyway as there are still reports of oil dilution taking place although the indicated oil level in the sum is nowhere near to the 'X' mark.
I've yet to read of anyone actually getting anyway near the 20K kilometres service interval before an oil change was indicated and would be interested to read of any member actually having achieved this.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 03:37:45 pm »
I think the modified dipstick with the higher x mark was just to stop people going to mazda for a free oil change so soon. The main dilution mod was really a couple of software updates and now the dpf regens happen much less frequently and for shorter periods.I dont think the cx5 has any capacity for passive regens though only active however you drive. I would think a better method of diesel injection would be directly into the exhaust manifold as then there would be no way for it to enter the sump and dilute the oil, apparantly some makes use this method but it needs an extra injector and control equipment. Mr car does mainly long journeys and the sump level doesn't change from one oil change to the next although thata only 8-10k miles as i only use it on average once a week.

Offline Gazdkw

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 04:47:44 pm »
The dealer offer 3 months, but there is a 6 month period that you can make a claim within which puts the responsibility on the garage to prove the fault wasn't there when purchased, however we are now 3 weeks over that period and the responsibility lays with us to proove the problem was there. Just spoke to the garage and he said you couldn't tell that. He said once oil starvation happens it won't be long before problems like this happen so I don't think there is a way we can proove there was a problem prior.

We are really upset as it looks as if our only option is to sell it as is or pay the difference 4K for a recon engine or 6k for engine rebuild, neither of which we can afford. Finance company are not interested unless we can proove the fault was there on purchase. Cheeky dealership said "well you have covered 10k miles" so apparently 10k costs £9000 these days!!

We both just feel sick right now

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 05:01:28 pm »
I think you need to get them to do a bit more investigation first.

I would ask them to drop the oil from the engine and confirm if there is swarf present in it. If there is, then that suggests the problem is the documented camshaft issue. In which case i see no reason for a new engine. Replacement of the turbo, vacuum pump (something else that often fails as part of this problem), camshafts and any other associated parts and a thorough flush through the engine  and removal of the sump to clean the oil pick ups etc... to remove the swarf should be fine. They can then test oil pressure around the system before rebuilding.

i havent seen it written anywhere that this problem causes excessive wear to piston rings or rod bearings etc... so i see no reason for the whole engine to be replaced. Sounds more like this garage is going for the scatter gun approach of replacing everything in the hope of fixing the problem!!!

If there is no swarf present in the oil when they drain it then they should be looking for the reason why there is oil starvation at the turbo, again, no reason the whole engine need be replaced!

Offline Gazdkw

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 05:48:11 pm »
I believe that's exactly what they are doing with a 8k quote. Kinda like saying give us 8k and we will piss in the wind and see what direction it goes.

We have just looked and we have actually only covered 4K miles since purchasing the car! Really let down.

I feel like there is a good chance the engine has no real damage. The AA man himself said it sounded fine and he picked up 2 Mazda 6 last week which he thinks have the same engine and they had same fault and they sounded like an old taxi, it was knocking so loud!

What's the possibility of putting a turbo on, and following the procedure mentioned above? Sump off, thorough flush, new oil, new filters, etc

Offline Huxie

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 06:30:10 pm »

Offline Gazdkw

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 08:35:43 pm »
I seen that earlier today. How do you know they think it's a belt?

It's funny because someone else told me they have 2 belts, one for the cam and one for the oil pump. The oil pump one is prone to snapping. Plus one of the codes is actually an electrical fault which could be the oil pump not turning and so highlighting no electricity??

Offline Huxie

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 12:03:37 am »
It was in the description:

"It was a very economical car and very reluctant to get rid but as already mentioned I just dont have the time or money to get it fixed (Potentially its only a oil pump/ belt issue.)"

Sorry, I didn't mean to get your hopes up, it was a bit of ill-thoughtout levity on my part. I may well be wrong but I was just highlighting the old 'it's an easy fix but I don't have the time' chestnut. Experience has taught me to stay clear of such claims and based on your experiences it sounds more likely very costly.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 12:03:37 am »