Author Topic: engine oil  (Read 17693 times)

Offline jonjesk

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
engine oil
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:09:40 pm »
hi all
i have recently bought 2017 pre upgrade model.
i was wondering about the 20k oil change interval. for years i have done oil changes at half the stated interval on all of my cars. does anyone else think 20k is excessive?
if im doing half interval changes should i only buy mazda oil?
should i change the filter also?
whats the chances of invalidating the warranty if i do this, i know they wont know that ive changed the oil but will they know ive changed the filter.
thanks.
towing 2008 swift conqueror 540

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
Re: engine oil
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 09:13:09 am »
I didn't know that they had extended the oil change intervals for later cars. The earlier cars were 12k or 1year. As the engines haven't changed then 20k is probably a bit excessive. Maybe do an oil change once a year irrespective of mileage. If you o an extra change then the filter should also be done.

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 05:04:02 pm »
Hi. My car has the same engine as yours except mine's a 2015 model. In my manual it calls for the oil and filter to be replaced every 12,500 miles or 20,000km. Even under the "Flexible" option it says of the engine oil and filter, "Replace when the indicator is ON (Max interval: 12 months/20,000km (12,500 miles))". It's on page 6-4.

If I were doing an intermediate oil change I would definitely always change the filter at the same time and I would use Mazda's oil or one of an identical specification. I believe the oil is formulated to withstand a certain amount of dilution with unburnt diesel fuel where a DPF regen is halted early.

Not sure about the warranty question. I think you can have servicing done at any garage as long as they use genuine Mazda parts but don't know about DIY work (assuming you're not a qualified mechanic) - even with Mazda parts
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:17:27 pm by Ant »

Offline jonjesk

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:08:46 pm »
sorry meant to say 20k kms
thanks for the replies
think i will continue with half interval oil changes id sooner do more than less on a TD engine

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 11:43:19 am »

whats the chances of invalidating the warranty if i do this, i know they wont know that ive changed the oil but will they know ive changed the filter.

Ah, but they will. In the case of part or complete engine failure the dealer will be asked to forward a sample of the engine oil for analysis and if it is discovered that non-approved engine oil has been used this will almost certainly be sufficient grounds to nullify your warranty.

Additionally, if changing the oil yourself then you shall require the correct equipment to reset the engine management unit so that it knows that an oil change has taken place. Would this later be known to Mazda I don't know but I would suspect that if the unit records having an oil change say 5,000 kilometres earlier but the records held by Mazda (via the dealer) indicate 10,000 then I would guess so.

Personally I believe 20,000km oil changes to be excessively long and have mine changed at approximately the 10,000km mark which usually coincides with a long caravan tug anyway.

All things are possible of course and anything the owner does during the warranty period may or may not incur the wrath of Mazda and so nullify the warranty as said. It's your choice.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 04:33:10 pm »
Out of interest, I asked my dealer how much an intermediate oil change would cost and was quoted £149!!!

Makes the 3 years servicing for £299 I bought look like a better deal still!

Offline jonjesk

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 04:52:40 pm »
i would only use approved oil and probably buy it from the dealer, i also was not planning to reset the service count just keep a record on my laptop. i will still follow the service schedule [for the first three years im tied to the mazda dealer], i hope to keep the car for a lomg time so trying to give myself the best chance of optimising releability.
thanks for replies

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 12:14:15 am »
I have sourced the correct oil and filter but am concerned about the reset.
I am in the Isle of Man and the only service dealer has closed down.
My car is 4 years old with less than 12,000 miles so I am not worried about warranties etc.
Can the reset by someone other than a Mazda dealer?

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 10:13:51 am »

I'd be straight on to Mazda UK customer services, in that case!

Alan

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 09:36:26 pm »

I'd be straight on to Mazda UK customer services, in that case!

Alan

Did that as soon as I heard about the dealer closing.
They advised that as long as I got an invoice for work done they would log it on the service records.
I do a very low mileage so I plan to change the oil and filter myself as warranty is finished. I got the genuine Mazda oil and it actually says Total on the container, so we know who makes it in Europe.
Rumour is that the new multi-franchise dealer opening soon is planning to add Mazda to their list.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 01:51:46 pm »
I got the genuine Mazda oil and it actually says Total on the container, so we know who makes it in Europe.

Yes that's correct. I have a couple of screengrabs that I took a while ago although the forum doesn't allow for images to be posted unless hosted off-site but here's the text in long form.

Mazda original oil by Total: the perfect match between Technology and Lubricants.
The new Mazda Original oil range has been co-developed by Mazda and Total. Mazda Motors European Lubricants' partner for the past 9 years. Mazda original oils are specifically designed for all types of Mazda vehicles and particularly fit the new cutting-edge SKYACTIV Technology.

I also discovered this list of recommended oils for the 2.2D sold under the Total brand:

Normal Use: 12 months/20,000km, Quartz INEO Long Life 5W - 30, or Quartz INEO MC3 5W - 30, or Quartz INEO Efficiency 0W - 30

Severe Use: 6 months/10,000km, Quartz INEO Long Life 5W - 30

Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 01:51:46 pm »