Author Topic: Storing Keys to Stop Signal Boosting Thieves?  (Read 181 times)

Offline johnnyleitrim

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Liquid Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
Storing Keys to Stop Signal Boosting Thieves?
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:47:33 am »
There are plenty of articles about thieves using signal boosting to steal cars with keyless entry (https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-finds-24-car-models-open-unlocking-ignition-hack/).

I just bought a CX-5 at the weekend, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to store the keys to stop thieves being able to steal the car with signal boosting.

I put the keys in a biscuit tin, but was still able to open the doors using the request button.  I see there are lots of "faraday" key pouches for sale on Amazon, but many of the reviews say that the doors can still be opened with the keys in the pouch.

Other than storing the keys in the fridge (https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/03/23/time-to-stash-your-keyless-car-entry-fob-in-with-the-frozen-pork-chops/), what would be my other alternatives?  How are other people here storing their keys?

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
Re: Storing Keys to Stop Signal Boosting Thieves?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:51:26 pm »
Perhaps I live in a low crime area (perhaps not?) but I don't give it much thought.  I haven't looked into specifically how a thief can boost a key signal and steal my car, but I have tried unlocking/locking the car with the fob a few feet away and it doesn't do it.  Therefore my keys sit on the same shelf all my other car keys have sat over the years.  I do have gap insurance tho, so if it does get nicked I'll (hopefully) get a replacement.

Offline boborob

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:47:04 pm »
I use a faraday pouch,it works a treat even when standing next to the car,I suppose like anything the quality of the pouches can vary.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:53:02 pm »
I use a faraday pouch,it works a treat even when standing next to the car,I suppose like anything the quality of the pouches can vary.

Come off it  ;) is this supposed to keep us guessing? OK then, I'll play along - name that pouch.  ;D
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2013 Hymer Eriba Triton 430 Caravan (1200kg)

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:05:08 pm »
Perhaps I live in a low crime area (perhaps not?) but I don't give it much thought.  I haven't looked into specifically how a thief can boost a key signal and steal my car, but I have tried unlocking/locking the car with the fob a few feet away and it doesn't do it.  Therefore my keys sit on the same shelf all my other car keys have sat over the years.  I do have gap insurance tho, so if it does get nicked I'll (hopefully) get a replacement.

I can lock or unlock from around 80ft away using the Clarkson method, ie put your key fob next to your head, lol. Try it.
Also running a pearl white petrol sport nav from 01/05/ 2012

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:05:08 pm »