Author Topic: How much!?!?  (Read 12596 times)

Offline CX-Fiver

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
How much!?!?
« on: May 01, 2018, 01:17:39 pm »
I've just paid Hodgson Mazda (Silverlink) a total bill of £526.21 for a major (3 year) service and replacement front brake pads. The £292.50 for the service is steep but I get trained/skilled Mazda engineers to do the job properly, so it just about justifies the cost, I reckon.

What I'm struggling to understand is the £233.71 charge for fitting new front brake pads. What do you think of that price? Cheap/OK/Expensive/Scandalous?

You may well ask "Why did you pay it then, you berk?". Well, this is my 1st SUV so I thought the brakes must be bigger/higher tech and therefore more expensive. Having had the job done and then researched how much the job should cost, I think I've been charged too much. Turns out you can buy the Brembo pads for £35 at Euro Car Parts. So we're talking nearly £200 for fitting them!  >:(

Any thoughts please?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:08:58 pm by CX-Fiver »

Offline baz2435

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2016
Re: How much!?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 12:21:45 pm »
That is very expensive. There is no ‘mystery’ as far as the brake components are concerned.
Currently I have the original brakes on my vehicle. I’ve already decided that when any element of the braking system requires replacement I am going to upgrade/uprate the lot. Even when looking at some premium products they aren’t that expensive. I won’t be having the work done at my Mazda garage.

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 01:24:12 am »
Brakes are such a money spinner. You only have to mention the word and most owners will readily cough up. A funny story. I once booked my car in for service but told them I would have changed the pads by the time it came in. I cleaned the brakes up sure enough but the pads were only about 40% worn so I predicted they should do another year.  In summarising my bill, the service manager said “we know you have changed the pads so we’ve recorded it as 10% worn which is the lowest we can show”. I just smiled and paid the bill. I’m a qualified mechanic but I still have to have the book stamped.

Your bill wasn’t cheap but unless you are qualified to say otherwise, what can you do?  These dealers are usually negotiable about servicing costs so barter with them. Tell them you can get it done locally by a repairer that has access to the online service record.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline CX-Fiver

• Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 11:05:45 am »
Good advice AM. You're right about the bartering malarkey. Hodgson's say they'll price match other garages, so I'll be testing them on that.

We all prefer a main dealer to breathe on our motors and of course they take advantage of that. I was just a bit surprised by how much Hodgson's were prepared to have my eyes out and then go back for the sockets.....

Thanks for the advice.

Offline MikeTB

• Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:20:28 pm »
There are several videos on YouTube showing how to fit new brake pads on a CX5. Fronts are easier as the handbrake system makes retracting the pads more tricky at the back.
Only problem I noted was that none of the videos mention checking the brake fluid level. This needs watching as retracting the pistons pushes fluid back to the reservoir.
I cannot see the job taking more than 30 minutes for 2 wheels even for an amateur, so that charge is a rip-off.

I have recently replaced the pads myself.
Around a 30 minute job. One bolt to undo to release the caliper, then pull out the pads and use a g-clamp to push the pistons in.
Cleaned everything with brake cleaner and used ceramic grease on the new pads.
Total cost of materials about £50.
Over £200 is a ripoff!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:54:56 pm by MikeTB »

Offline Trooper

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 07:05:12 pm »
As a new member I am slowly getting around some of the posts and came across this one. When I had my Qashqai I had it serviced and MOT'd by Halfords service centre. They operate a "free for life" on brake pads which I believe are Bembro. So I registered my new (to me) 16 plate CX5 which requires a free brake check so when needed all my pads will be free. :)

Offline dunhill1984

• Colour: Snowflake White
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 05:16:08 pm »
I think you will find that they charge for fitting at a high price to cover the "FREE" pads
living a stress free life near dona nook (nth somercotes) bombing range on lincs coast

Offline Gel

• New to Mazda; enjoying my new CX-5
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 04:49:47 pm »
On my wife's mota (Jag), I found this chain were competitive for new pads + front discs.
https://www.f1autocentres.co.uk/car-brakes

Gerald
Thames Valley

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 04:49:47 pm »