Technical Section > Wheels & Tyres

19 inch wheels corroding

(1/2) > >>

MikeTB:
My wheels are starting to corrode, probably starting from the inner side as it affects just the few millimetres near the inner edges where the coating is bubbling.
My mileage is very low and I now live near the sea.
I haven't tried removing the wheels recently to check more closely, but has anyone else experienced corrosion problems with CX5 wheels?

twabrigs:
Hi - yes I've got some very minor surface corrosion (also live near the sea). TPMS alert went off this week, front nearside was down to 16 psi, re-inflated and 150 miles later it had lost 2psi. Local garage checked it over, no signs of puncture but they suspected corrosion so took the tyre off, re-sealed it all and 300 miles later all seems well.

One to watch though.

rmvf:
Mine have bubbled on the inside of the wheel but the face is still in good shape, i put on collinite 762 wax twice a year. pressures hardly ever move, managed 26 k on current "proxel 2" tyres thats 6 more than previous r36 type.

Trevor F:
I also have corroding OEM 19" wheels.
CX-5 only 3 years old. Tyres not holding pressure and are a safety risk.
Have put in claim for replacements

Anchorman:

--- Quote from: Trevor F on September 16, 2019, 09:30:29 pm ---I also have corroding OEM 19" wheels.
CX-5 only 3 years old. Tyres not holding pressure and are a safety risk.
Have put in claim for replacements

--- End quote ---

They’ve become porous in 3 years? 

30 years maybe but not 3. Make a claim for corrosion but they’ll ignore the embellishments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version