Technical Section > Wheels & Tyres

Bridgestone weather control 005

(1/2) > >>

twabrigs:
Hi - my trusty Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tyres are wearing out. I can replace them for around £140 fitted, Conti or Pirelli are similar prices.

I know the Michelin Cross Climate isn't available in 225/55/19 but I have just spotted a Bridgestone all-season tyre which is, the Weather Control 005. However they are an eye-watering £227 EACH fitted from Blackcircles.

I have often thought of getting winter tyres but have never quite justified the price and hassle of the extra wheels and tyres (I know you can't put a price on safety and I probably should get winters, especially living in Scotland).

Has anyone any experience of the Bridgestones, even in a different size?

MuddyPaws:
Shame you've got 19" wheels - only £115.84 fully fitted from Tyre Shopper for 225/65/17, complete with free lifetime guarantee at the moment. They do sound like a good tyre though with an "A" rating for wet weather stopping and the same "C" rating for fuel economy as the Michelin Cross Climate. I need a set of 4 tyres as my Yoko's are all getting cracked between the treads.

twabrigs:
Checked the treads and fronts are down to the wear indicator and rear are down to about 2.4mm so it is time to change.

Have taken the £910 plunge and booked in for Friday.  I've had about 25-30k out of the Michelins, hope the super-expensive Bridgestones prove to be worth it...will let you know.

twabrigs:
So, Blackcircles phoned and they don't have that tyre in stock for the 19" wheels. Another tyre company has them but now we're up over £1050 and I just can't justify that against the £645 for another set of Michelins so I'm now £400 to the good and hoping for another mild winter....

twabrigs:
The saga continues.

Michelins now out of stock...I did find two somewhere local but at £165 fitted. So did another search for the Bridgestones and had 4 fitted this morning for £238 each. Horrendously expensive but I hope the reviews are right and they genuinely give summer and winter tyre performance.

I am probably the only local motorist to be pleased to see the gritter go past earlier, with forecasts of very cold weather in the next 24-28 hours.

I'll keep you posted re the performance of the Bridgestones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version