Author Topic: Question for those who replaced Early CX-5 for Current Updated Model  (Read 19119 times)

Offline Alex

• Retired and loving it. Every day is a Saturday!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Reflex Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
Bought my CX-5 Brand new Sept 2012 and 4 years on looking for replacement, and CX-5 might be the one as I love my current car being 2.2 Diesel Auto.

Reason for my question, there are changes and updates with the new model some of which are:-

Seating/comfort.

In-car entertainment.

Navigation.

Electric Handbrake.

Sun (Moon) roof.

So what I'm looking at what changes are improvements, and what should they have left as was? For example the Sat-Nav. TomTom was abysmal but I gather there are idiosyncrasies with the replacement. Blue-tooth integration very hit and miss, is that better? Do you like the hand-braking set-up?

Plus of course anything I've missed. Basically all round is it an improved car?

Alex

If it wasn't for pick-pockets & frisking at airports, I'd have no sex life at all .................Rodney Dangerfield.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Question for those who replaced Early CX-5 for Current Updated Model
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 04:24:34 pm »
I like the newly shaped lights and front grill of the updated model but most of all, the fact that they would appear to have got most of the lid on this oil dilution problem. Not entirely by all accounts but not as bad as was.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline ROCKETRON

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 05:45:28 pm »
Does the new model have a sun roof then, i didn't know that. It wasn't even offered as an option on the old model. I have not heard many problems on the new model yet but its probably a bit early yet, but it does look promising.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 05:51:48 pm »
I went from a 2.2D 175 sport (which had a free upgrade to Nav) in August 2015 to a 2.2D 175 Sport-Nav in Sept 2015.
Improvements:-
  • LED adaptive lights instead of Xenon steering ones
  • Memory Drivers seat and electric passenger seat
  • The suspension tweaks have made a slight improvement in ride, IMHO
  • Improved fuel economy, currently 43MPG average compared with 41 over 70K miles on old model
  • Front end looks better and is a damn sight easier to clean than the hexagon design
  • Reshaped wing mirrors are quieter
  • I wasn't convinced about the electric parking brake initially, but am now a fan of it. Would be more so if it auto applied, like VW
The big downside to the new model (for me) is the MZD connect system. OK, it has a bigger screen and is perhaps easier to use, but why throw out a system that has inbuilt GSM for data and replace it with a  system that requires a phone hot-spot? After almost a year, it still doesn't work reliably and is a right PITA to connect. Also, the map subscription promised two updates per year and it's now been 8 months since the last one and Mazda can't confirm when it will arrive...

As for oil dilution, I never had it happen on my original in 70k miles (although it did have major work on a blown turbo due to camshaft made of cheese, plus a gearbox rebuild) but have just had it happen on my new one just shy of its second service.

I don't recall even being offered a sunroof on the new one but that never bothered me anyway.

Alan

Offline ROCKETRON

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 05:58:21 pm »
i was looking at a iirc "what car" in Smiths and there was a joint test of bmw x1/vw tiguan/cx5 and it said on price of extras chart that sunroof was standard on cx5 but i dont think that i have seen one with a sunroof. Maybe it is now standard unless magazine is wrong.

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:29:43 pm »
Just a quick reply, really got use to EHB, found it to be a good improvement so far with no issues, other than forgetting when I get back into my old one.lol, also I think that the upgraded indicators on wing mirrors look better and are a safety improvement over old style.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:17:05 pm by rmvf »
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline Alex

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 07:48:51 pm »
Reply to my own opening comment; sorry no Sunroof, I thought there was one coming in 2016. Been in the States as standard since 2014. Would never us it in any case, pointless if Air-con is in place, like running a fridge with the door open.

Interesting comments thus far, and I'm watching in particular re the Sat-Nav as I thought TomTom was bad.

Keep them coming.
If it wasn't for pick-pockets & frisking at airports, I'd have no sex life at all .................Rodney Dangerfield.

Offline Southern Teuchter

• Old enough to know better Young enough not to care
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2016
!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 01:06:52 pm »
Reply to my own opening comment; sorry no Sunroof, I thought there was one coming in 2016.

There is one - but only on one model; the SE-Lux Nav.  The sunroof was one of the reasons I went for this model as I've always been a fan of them.  And no, I don't use it with the AC on!  LOL
Now: Maxda CX-5 SE-L Lux Nav 150ps 2WD Manual : Soul Red
Prev: Toyota RAV4 2.2 D-4D XT-R 140ps 4WD Manual : Black

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
Re: Question for those who replaced Early CX
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 08:31:52 pm »
i was looking at a iirc "what car" in Smiths and there was a joint test of bmw x1/vw tiguan/cx5 and it said on price of extras chart that sunroof was standard on cx5 but i dont think that i have seen one with a sunroof. Maybe it is now standard unless magazine is wrong.

As said its standard on the lux since it came out, I haven't missed having one my self, both xtrails had the full sunroof, not the tiny Mazda one.

Cx-5 is now showing its age coming last in the test.
And also had the lowest reliability of the three. But i'm not sure how they arrive at that seeing the X! and tig are brand new models with little history.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:33:44 pm by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Dave

• IT challenged.
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 08:57:56 am »
Bought my CX-5 Brand new Sept 2012 and 4 years on looking for replacement, and CX-5 might be the one as I love my current car being 2.2 Diesel Auto.

Reason for my question, there are changes and updates with the new model some of which are:-

Seating/comfort.

In-car entertainment.

Navigation.

Electric Handbrake.

Sun (Moon) roof.

So what I'm looking at what changes are improvements, and what should they have left as was? For example the Sat-Nav. TomTom was abysmal but I gather there are idiosyncrasies with the replacement. Blue-tooth integration very hit and miss, is that better? Do you like the hand-braking set-up?

Plus of course anything I've missed. Basically all round is it an improved car?

Alex

Hi Alex

I had a 2012 LUx Nav, and now have a 2016 sport nav. I think the new satnav isn't as good as the tomtom, and the traffic updates are poor. I'm not overly impressed with the 2016 ICE despite the addition of the DAB radio.

The ride is better, I now have leather seats with electric adjustment and 19" alloys, much smoother IMO. I like the electric handbrake too.

Mine is due a service soon, and I'll ask for the NAV / ICE software update so hopefully will see an improvement.

Offline Alex

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 02:02:29 pm »
I had picked up vibes the new sat-nav left a bit to be desired, I guess Mazda and TomTom parted the ways due to the issues which many of us had to endure in 2013, and transpired a bit of a shame as it looks like a compromise system has since been adopted.

Seems like other things have been tweaked for the better perhaps.

Not sure if I'll stick with it as took a look as the Mitsubishi ASX and it looks good, but haven't seen one in the flesh. Trade in value might be the deal breaker. I do love my CX-5 and it hasn't missed a beat which is in favour of being brand loyal. I'll keep you updated.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 08:30:08 am »
Not sure if I'll stick with it as took a look as the Mitsubishi ASX and it looks good, but haven't seen one in the flesh.

I looked at the ASX when I was choosing earlier this year but found it had a much smaller boot (trunk for our American brethren) than my old RAV4 or the CX-5.  A deal breaker for me as we have two large dogs!

Offline Alex

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 10:06:33 pm »
Not sure if I'll stick with it as took a look as the Mitsubishi ASX and it looks good, but haven't seen one in the flesh.

I looked at the ASX when I was choosing earlier this year but found it had a much smaller boot (trunk for our American brethren) than my old RAV4 or the CX-5.  A deal breaker for me as we have two large dogs!

Very important as I leave my golf gear in the back permanently. When I went for my CX-5 I looked at the VW Tiguan and the golf bag would not fit side-to-side and that was enough to turn me away. I might look at the Mitsubishi ASX but from the above might not be a goer.

There are only three things that I feel my car needs to be tailored for. Myself, my Wife and the golf kit, but a user friendly playback system for a flash-drive is very important as well. Which leads me to another question on the 2016 model......

When the engine/ignition is turned off with the latest version, and then you restart the engine; does the auxiliary player revert to track one? I've seen loads of complaints on the other forums regarding this.

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 10:25:09 pm »
No it starts from where you last finished.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 09:17:17 am »
No it starts from where you last finished.

Can confirm too.  It does the same when playing music from your phone.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 09:17:17 am »