Author Topic: Trip Computer  (Read 12258 times)

Offline ianbram

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Trip Computer
« on: December 24, 2014, 09:01:17 am »
Hi All,

Sorry about the length of this post but I need to set the scene.

I have had my Mazda CX-5 (diesel) for 11 months now and up until a couple of months ago everything was fine.
Then I started to notice that the instant MPG readout was not fluctuating in the ranges I had come to expect it to, given that I have traveled to and from work everyday on the same route and therefore got a feel for when I was driving the most economical way.
Normally, say in 5th gear at 40 MPH, it would fluctuate between 75 & 99 MPG but then suddenly it would start fluctuating between 20 and 35 MPG. 

This can happen at the start of a trip or during a trip.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?
I am having a hard time convincing the dealership that there is a problem. 
All they told me was that in instant mode it was meant to fluctuate and that they couldn't find anything wrong.

It's really frustrating when your "gut" tells you there is a problem but you cannot prove it.
Before this problem started I had got my CX-5 up to an average MPG of 55.7 now it is down at 46.2.
So I started to manually monitor the MPG using the figures from the fuel pumps and they seem to suggest that it is not the engine that is at fault (I am still seeing MGP of about 53.6) so I have to conclude that it is either the computer hardware or more likely the input sensors.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Ian

Offline oldcryptian

• Gloucester Man
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
Re: Trip Computer
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 10:36:30 am »
Ian, this happened in 2 Mazda 3 Sports I owned and now in the CX5.  I prefer to check mileage/quantity of fuel added at the pumps for an accurate read out on mpg

Richard

Offline ianbram

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 10:49:52 am »
Hi Richard,

Thanks for such a quick response and thank God that someone else has/is also experiencing this.
I was beginning to think I was the only one with the dud trip computer.
Did you ever find out what was causing this to happen? because (and you can call me old fashioned) having spent nearly ?30,000 on this vehicle I would (stupidly I know) like everything to work!!!

btw: I too will now start using the figures from the pumps even if I do get this fixed.

Ian

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 10:49:52 am »