Author Topic: new cx-5  (Read 37616 times)

Offline zoomer

• Phil
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: new cx-5
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 08:46:18 pm »
Intresting about the warranty Silver Bullet, I checked the tuning company's policy but could not find the warranty description apart from its own product warranty and then I found this "Once removed, there are no traces left behind that could affect your manufacturers warranty".  If you have an accident it could be awkward if injured etc

I will check with Mazda tomorrow.

My Insurance said (phone call) that there was no fee increase, but like you say, its best to get that in writing which is what I'll do.

Best I keep quite until I find out lol

There is a video of installation Alan:  http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/how2s.php  although the CX-5 is not listed, its the same principle.  When I get a minute I'll take a re-run video of the fitment I did.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Body: SUV
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 11:57:30 pm »

"Once removed, there are no traces left behind that could affect your manufacturers warranty". If you have an accident it could be awkward if injured etc

To me that's effectively saying "We know it could invalidate your warranty, so we strongly suggest that if you are involved in an accident then remove the chip immediately"

That's Ok if you are involved in a small bump or shunt and you go home. But if it was anything more serious and it happened that the car was impounded, then removing it after the event, would be impossible

Offline zoomer

• Phil
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 09:40:16 am »
I phoned Mazda this morning and they are saying its a bit of a grey area.  They support the idea of a more efficient upgrade but this can open to all types of abuse.

They will not (or cannot) give in writing confirmation of non void of warranty at this stage.

I supose this is ok if your car is out of warranty, but not new.  Even so, I'll take the chance.

The insurance company are sending a written statement to confirm full cover.

Went for a long run early this morning, amazing how strongly it pulls, then put my sensible head on and reset the mpg.  Over a distance of 62 miles it has changed from 34 to 38mpg using the same route. Taking into consideration its still running in, things are looking good.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 01:29:41 pm »
For what its worth, the letter below is one of the many responses I got from Mazda early on. Paragraph 4 is their response to this direct question I raised about chipsets -
You have stated that there is nothing that can be tuned or adjusted that will make any difference to fuel consumption. Yet I have been able to find three different suppliers who manufacture plug-in engine management units for the CX5, all of which promise a 15% improvement in MPG, plus increases in torque and HP. How is it possible that a third party can produce a solution to this that Mazda can’t? I calculate that if I were to buy one and fit it (being aware that it may affect the insurance), it would pay for itself in less than 12,000 miles.
Interestingly, although they recommended against the use, they never at any point say that using one would invalidate the warranty.

Offline zoomer

• Phil
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 11:44:14 pm »
Hey Al

sent a message to Mazda facebook:

"Mazda UK Dear Mr ..........., We can confirm fitting a blue chip will not invalidate the warranty on your Mazda, however; if a particular issue were to occur as a direct result of its fitment, then an individual claim may be declined. I hope this clarifies the situation but feel free to call us on 03457 48 48 48 if you have any further questions, thank you."

And of course that means if anything goes wrong they will blame the chip lol

Meanwhile, I'm getting 41mpg now.  Doing a 700 mile round trip at the weekend, motorway mainly, so I'll keep an eye on it
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:47:06 pm by zoomer »

Offline Gmsal

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 08:55:01 pm »
Ok, back on thread.
Picked up my new face lifted CX-5 on 23rd March, changing from a VW 140 4motion Tiguan. When I bought the Mazda I wasn't sure I had done the right thing.

I initially thought of buying a 15 reg Tiguan but several things stopped me from doing that;

1. It would felt like a change for change's sake.

2. I knew a new model Tiguan would be coming out soon, therefore devaluing the current model Tiguan.
This also was a factor in not keeping the Tiguan I had.

3. VW's lethargy introducing new technology into their vehicles.

4. Cost of VW add on's. I was quoted more than £700 for GAP insurance, a real rip off, that dealership should be ashamed.

I had read some very good reviews on the CX-5, it was recommended by a friend of mine, and I had two test drives to make my mind up.
I had also heard it had been face lifted and gave it serious consideration.

What I didn't like and thought I would miss;
1. Lack of roof rails, they makes the vehicle look so classy, and in my case very functional when transporting bikes.
2. Lack of spare tyre.
3. Wasn't sure it would fit in the garage.
4. Non too sure about key less entry.

On the flip side car against car it would have cost me an additional £6000 to get the extras I have on the CX-5 if I specked up a Tiguan.
So I ended up buying the Sports Nav 2.2, 2WD diesel 150 psi with GAP insurance, tyre and alloy insurance included in the price, after hard bartering  plus a service plan at a very reasonable price.

All VW's are very well built, robust and heavy due to quality materials. The CX-5 is no VW when it comes to body work, lighter materials may I suggest a little flimsier but it leaves the Tiguan miles behind it's engine and gear box are a delight. Plus the new face lift interior is great and a nice place to be.

So back to the start of the post, I wasn't sure that I did the right thing changing.
Having been on a few long runs I'm delighted at the handling, driving comfort and the ride.
You can read all the reviews in the world on a certain car, but only you know if you bond with the vehicle, but that comes with time.
I feel that we are starting to bond, strange that, human and machine bonding!

It looks very sporty and gets admiring looks, the Tiguan looks very conservative. and the CX-5 moves when you want it to.

Fuel wise better than the Tig, and will get better as it gets run in.
Of course you'll never achieve the test lab figures all manufactures produce, but if I get upper 40's which I fully expect I'll be more than happy.

That's where I am with 300 plus miles on the clock.
Love the satnav, the Bose speakers, the LED running lights, the leather seats, massive boot space, 19" gunmetal wheels etc etc.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:50:41 am by Gmsal »

Offline BigAl

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 11:36:00 pm »
Interesting to hear the comparison with the Tiguan. When I changed cars in 2009, the final two were the Tiguan and the Subaru Forester - the Forester won. In 2012, same process, final two were the Tiguan and the CX5. The CX5 won by a bigger margin than the Forester did. At the moment, there is nothing to match it as it's so tax efficient as a company car (although the new 2.0 Diesel engine in the Discovery Sport is going to have lower emissions).

One thing I have learned is never to buy gap insurance through a dealer. I think we paid about £235 each for ours to cover three years at work via our insurance broker.

Alan.

Offline Gmsal

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 08:19:06 pm »
Interesting to hear the comparison with the Tiguan. When I changed cars in 2009, the final two were the Tiguan and the Subaru Forester - the Forester won. In 2012, same process, final two were the Tiguan and the CX5. The CX5 won by a bigger margin than the Forester did. At the moment, there is nothing to match it as it's so tax efficient as a company car (although the new 2.0 Diesel engine in the Discovery Sport is going to have lower emissions).

One thing I have learned is never to buy gap insurance through a dealer. I think we paid about £235 each for ours to cover three years at work via our insurance broker.

Alan.
It seem we've both come to the same conclusion in roundabout ways re the CX-5 over the Tiguan.
What won you over the most between the two Al?

Offline BigAl

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 06:53:00 pm »
As mine is a company car, the primary thing for me was the CO2 emissions and fuel consumption. The CX5 wins hands down on both counts. The fact that it drives better as well obviously helps. The Tiguan has the traditional 4x4 roll that the CX5 lacks. The CX5 also - for me at least - had the best distribution of interior space and was better equipped than the VW.

A minor consideration was that I have two Honda CX motorbikes, adding a third CX seemed logical...

Alan

Offline Gmsal

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 08:06:41 am »
As mine is a company car, the primary thing for me was the CO2 emissions and fuel consumption. The CX5 wins hands down on both counts. The fact that it drives better as well obviously helps. The Tiguan has the traditional 4x4 roll that the CX5 lacks. The CX5 also - for me at least - had the best distribution of interior space and was better equipped than the VW.

A minor consideration was that I have two Honda CX motorbikes, adding a third CX seemed logical...

Alan
:) :) :) :)

Offline Fangface

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 01:35:02 pm »
Has anyone actually fitted and used a tuner box on a new 2015 model?  I am due to pick my one up next week and know that it would be sensible to run it in a bit before thinking about putting a tuner box in but I have heard conflicting reports that Mazda have designed things now to stop people doing this by having security bolts protecting where you would plug in and also using non standard connectors.  If I had the vehicle I would have a look myself and likely will next week but I thought I would ask the question to see if anyone has taken the plunge yet.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:18:55 pm by Fangface »

Offline Southern Teuchter

• Old enough to know better Young enough not to care
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 04:42:02 pm »

I was offered 3 years RTI (Return To Invoice - i.e. they pay out up to the original price paid) GAP insurance by the dealer for £300.  I bought 4 years New Car (i.e. it allows for the prices going up) GAP insurance for £220 online.  For some reason the dealer couldn't understand why I wouldn't buy it off him...
Now: Maxda CX-5 SE-L Lux Nav 150ps 2WD Manual : Soul Red
Prev: Toyota RAV4 2.2 D-4D XT-R 140ps 4WD Manual : Black

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2016, 12:35:25 pm »
I've read that comprehensive insurance often replaces the car with a replacement in the first year. So really you don't need gap from new.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 03:26:13 pm »
In the process of looking for a second hand CX-5 at the moment and when talking to Availablecar at their site about one they had there they tried to sell me GAP on a used car! Then was a bit affronted when i said i wasnt interested and pointed out there isnt really a loss of value on a used car... Was very surprised at trying to be sold gap on a used car. (used to work at a main dealer so know all about GAP)

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 03:26:13 pm »