Author Topic: Coolant level  (Read 5224 times)

Offline speedy mazda 2

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Coolant level
« on: July 22, 2023, 09:58:16 pm »
Hi cx5 owners can people please tell me what are your coolant levels when hot and cold?. Should the coolant be up to full when hot ?  Or on the full mark when cold with adequate room above full for expansion?. Looks a rather stupid design of reservoir to me . Any thanks in advance.

Offline SteveAWD

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2012
Re: Coolant level
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 09:10:10 am »
I've come on here this morning to have a whinge about how many views a post gets but it has no replies! Also, I have an opinion on the "expansion tank" design on our CX5s, in particular the 2,2 diesel. If anyone has some information to the contrary of what I'm about to state here, please come on and put me right.
This "level" thing, to me, just doesn't stand at all. The system has a pressure cap that in effect is a one way valve. If the pressure in the system over pressures the coolant will pass the pressure cap and end up in the "over-flow" tank. After that, the coolant that has passed to it has no way back to the system. It would just fill till it over-flows. So the level issue is that the only way is up.

Offline speedy mazda 2

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 08:47:57 pm »
Hi Steve think I’ve worked out the radiator cap opens to allow coolant to flow in the surge tank and sucks it back into the radiator before the coolant cools and radiator cap pressure valve closes ????????.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 08:47:57 pm »