General Category > Models & Trims

2.0 L Petrol CX5 - any views?

(1/4) > >>

Caldean:
Having read numerous reviews on the CX5 before taking the plunge, the overall impression given by motoring journalists is that the 150 bhp diesel is the preferred choice. Being a natural contrarian, I opted for petrol, mainly due to concerns about DPF's clogging up and rising oil levels reported by some owners,. I am also a lowish mileage driver so mpg is not that important to me but I will be keeping the car for quite a few years - I think the diesel tide will turn on environmental and taxation grounds at some time.

Are there any petrol version owners out there who can give some guidance on the performance and refinement of their motor in comparison to the diesel.... is it fair that the petrol is dismissed so readily by the motoring mags or is it indeed justified?

McDon:
Hi Caldean,

I am a proud and very happy owner of a Petrol CX-5, and have been for the last 15 months. Have now covered 13000 trouble free miles and achieving 40mpg.  It is refined, responsive, comfortable and still a pleasure to drive. Let me know if you have any concerns or questions.

McDon

BigAl:
Can't really comment other than to say that the Honest John real MPG data shows that the petrol model is the only one in the range where the official and real MPG figures start to resemble each other (87% of official MPG compared to 71-76% for the diesel variants).

Alan

rmvf:
we have done 18k and getting 33.3 mpg avg round town, on a run it will do 38, but its all about how you drive cruising at 50 mph will give over 40, my 3 has the same engine and BHP, I managed 43.4 miles on a 160 mile journey non stop but what you gain in economy you lose in time in this case it was a full hour between Aberdeen and Glasgow. having done over 14k in the 3 now its showing 38 mpg avg.

we bought the petrol because we wasn't going over 6k per year, and I previously had a madza 6 diesel 1st gen DPF, I was only getting 44mpg and just didn't like this rising oil levels and the light came on after 11 months, dealer said it was due a service, still having 1500miles left, I wouldn't have bought the car if id known about all these dpf issues back then and its not just mazda who were suffering, but that was over 5 years ago know and I know the dpf technology has come on with different and better versions,

remember the compression ratio is 14.1 the first time I drove the cx-5 it felt a little like a diesel in that you had to quickly gear up as you progressed. you can use 6th gear a lot more than before indicator lighting up at 1800 rev about 40 mph, we have had out cx5 39 months now and its looking like we will be getting another petrol, but I would like to go see the Honda HRV first. Having said all this if you give this car some welly it really is a different beast, I managed to fend off a supercharged petrol rangie, he probably could see his fuel going down right in front of his eyes, lol. I think its one of the best handling SUV,s at speed there is for the money.

Caldean:
Thanks guys. I've a week to go and have no regrets on my choice. It seems the real world mpg gap is narrower than on paper. I suspect the main plus is the low down torque the diesel gives without  having to change gear. Just as well the cx5 has a gearbox that encourages you to shift frequently. Sadly there were so few petrol demonstrators around when I started my search (4 in Scotland,  30 nationally) I tested the diesel and then took a leap of faith. I'm sure it'll be fine !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version