Author Topic: CX5 spare wheel - size  (Read 28315 times)

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
CX5 spare wheel - size
« on: September 05, 2015, 08:54:48 pm »
Not convinced that I want to travel around with just the emergency repair kit in the boot so am having to bite the bullet and buy the Mazda kit - shown here:

http://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda-cx-5/2011-11/wheels-suspension/SPWHKTCX5/

It's not clear if the same kit applies whether it's a 17" or 19" wheel that's on the car at present - I assume it is and that the tyre they suggest is equally appropriate in both situations.

Sounds like I need a jack as well but not seen this on the Mazda site - any pointers as to where to get one suitable for the CX5.

Thanks.

Offline dg70

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Re: CX5 spare wheel - size
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 04:28:15 pm »
I think it's the same kit regardless as the 19" wheels have lower profile tyres so the diameter is the same.

My car came with a jack supplied so unless Mazda have made changes since I bought mine you should already have one.

Also I decided to get a full size spare, just bought the foam surrounds from the dealer ( can't remember how much they cost but it was less than £40) and got some extra foam from a local builders merchant to put round the tyre to stop the floor resting on it due to it's extra depth. Not exactly state of the art but it does the job and it gives even more piece of mind than a spacesaver!

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 07:16:16 pm »
When I ordered mine ( not yet delivered)  the dealer said it came with all the tools, foam inserts and jack. It will take both 17 and 19 inch space saver tyres.

Offline Deepjoy22

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 07:31:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies. 

DG70 - my new car had no jack; I checked with the dealer and they said that the jack was not supplied with the compressor and bottle of gunk.  So looks like they have changed since you collected yours.

Caldean; when do you expect your kit - can you let me know if it has the jack?

Offline Caldean

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 08:15:02 pm »
I'm led to believe it will be 21st September . I'll let you know what all comes with it. I can't see why it wouldn't as the whole point is that you can change a tyre at the roadside.

Offline Deepjoy22

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 07:30:55 pm »
I asked Mazda UK and they say that the spare wheel kit comes with a jack, but no tyre.

I looked at this dealers site

http://shop.crayford-mazda.co.uk/category/Mazda_CX_5/Mazda_CX_5_From_2011_to_2014_Pre_Facelift/Wheels_and_Suspension,b.html

It implies that the jack is part of another pack as some previous CX5s came with a jack - so sort of makes sense that people don't end up with 2 jacks. 

I've asked Mazda again given what they say conflicts with a dealer.  Will probably go to the dealer above next week - and buy it once I know what is in and out.  Will post back here if and when I do.

Offline Caldean

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 07:14:03 pm »
Visited the dealer today and popped the question.... about the spare tyre that is !! The kit consists of the foam moulding, tyre brace, wheel jack,  tools, spare wheel with tyre and a new carpet is also supplied. They still let you keep the original tyre repair kit. Not a cheap option but gives a lot of peace of mind.

Offline Caldean

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 10:21:33 pm »
Took my new cx5 up the A9 at the weekend . Got a puncture after a total of 200 miles. The TPMS worked correctly but it was a slow puncture and I didn't have my pressure gauge with me. Thankfully I had the temporary spare wheel which got me to Inverness. Turns out I had a 1.5 cm piece of metal in the tyre which unrepairable so new tyre required. I'm sure glad I'd opted for the spare as I doubt the compressor kit / glue would have got me far at all.

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 04:37:38 pm »
A puncture after 200 miles in a brand new car - that's seriously bad luck. Glad the spare got you on your way again - investing in that was obviously the right decision!

Hope you're enjoying the car otherwise!

Offline Caldean

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 07:21:53 pm »
Loving the new car. Not yet seen another facelift model on my travels. ....still feeling exclusive. My wife loves her new toy and thinks it's much better looking than the Sportage.  My Golf meantime is off to the garage tomorrow  for more repairs.... VW reliability is a myth !!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:05:50 pm by Caldean »

Offline March-mk

• Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 08:51:57 am »
Just got hold of my new = FACELIFT CX-5, and get some serious admiring looks; the car, not me!!
It came with towing eyes and foam inserts but no jack or any other tools, just the compressor repair kit.  I've been told spare wheel kit would have jack etc. but would be about £500 without a tyre.
My wife has a Merc B class and has done 15k miles with no issues - also has no spare.

Offline Ant

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 12:27:55 pm »
I've taken the risk of not opting for the spare wheel kit. I know this is tempting fate but I ve had 3 punctures in that last 14 years, all of which I discovered on my drive at home. The dealer advised calling Mazda Assist if faced with a puncture in the CX-5 unless it's a real emergency situation like late at night and having no phone signal. I know the sealant won't work for significant damage to the tyre but I'm going to take the risk for now.

£500 for a spare wheel kit with no tyre sounds like robbery. My Father-in-law recently bought a spare for his secondhand Ford C Max (because it didn't come with one ) and I'm sure that was about £90 plus VAT from Ford. He bought a general purpose jack from Screwfix, I believe. The spare doesn't fit fully in the well in the boot so he's used chipboard to raise the floor level to accommodate it which sounds like way too much hassle to me.  I'm guessing that CX-5 owners wouldn't have this problem.

Caldean - I agree re VW reliability (and trustworthiness now!!!). My previous car was a Golf and was less reliable than other cars I've owned. 3 central locking door mechanisms at £300 a pop and and ABS pump repair kit spring to mind.

Offline Caldean

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 08:18:24 pm »
A spare wheel kit cost me £400. The wheel is  16 inch, which looks bizarre against the standard 19s but it does the job. Got new foam packing and floor cover, Jack,  wrench, two small and one long towing eyes and a couple of things I have no idea what they're for. I now have a spare original floor and the original foam packing.... don't know what I'll do with that.. its expensive yes, but gIves us a lot of peace of mind. ..
I've had four punctures in ten years, all courtesy of someone being careless with screws, nails and other bits of metal.  Just down to luck I suppose.

My Golf in the last two years has needed a new air con unit, new coil spring, new discs pads and calipers all round, new seat belt, water pump and alloys are flaking. It has FSH from main dealer, 44k on the clock and previous owner was a pal of mine who was fastidious with all his cars. No more German cars for me after this one. Most reliable  car ..... Toyota Corolla Verso. 7 years and no trouble at all...

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 03:14:51 pm »
I've got a full size alloy wheel identical to my road wheels, bought a set of 4 with only about 1K miles on the tyres, for £650.
I had to buy the poly surround and a sheet of 40mm builders foam to pack the boot cover clear of the wheel, I didn't want weight onto the wheel.

I would buy a wheel and tyre from someone like mytyres, that's a lot cheaper than £400 for a metal space saver, that can't be used for towing, I have a caravan.

Thanks for the heads up on the jack, I assumed it was standard.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 03:14:51 pm »