Author Topic: Battery Electrolyte  (Read 14784 times)

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Battery Electrolyte
« on: October 27, 2015, 12:37:17 pm »
Are members/owners of the CX-5 checking the battery electrolyte level as prescribed in the manual i.e. weekly and if so, how are you best achieving this. The manual describes checking the electrolyte level visually and ensuring that the fluid level is between the max and min marks. However, the casing on my battery has a somewhat narrow viewing window and even then it's towards the darker side of the engine which makes it essentially impossible to read/see. Shining a torch in the direction of the casing cut-out only worsens the situation as the casing is white plastic and therefore reflects the torch light back. Surely there must be an easier/alternative way???
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
Re: Battery Electrolyte
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 05:49:14 pm »
I normally only check level once a year same as the caravan.

I wasn't aware that a window was available, or that it recommended weekly checks.
I do check the oil monthly but I'm only doing 7K miles a year.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:52:59 pm »
Phaw !! I'll really need to get down to reading the manual. I've never had to check the battery on any other car. Is there likely to be a problem with the battery or is it mazda hoping to avoid meeting a claim?

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 08:03:11 pm »
The battery is a very expense one to replace, when I had mine go flat due to the smart charger not charging I looked up a replacement cost.
At that time it was near £200 although its cheaper now. Mazda garage told me the battery was covered for 3 years anyway.

This is what I have fitted.

http://thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-80ah-780a-efb-start-stop-battery-ybx7335-t110-8949-p.asp

Note it 80AH not 110.

http://www.gs-yuasa.com/us/topics/pdf/20120426e.pdf
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:07:01 pm by xtrailman »

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:05:53 pm »

I wasn't aware that a window was available

When viewing the battery when standing at the front of the car, the battery, which is housed in a black coloured housing, is located right-hand-side and to the rear. If you look carefully at the left-hand-side of this black housing there should be a slot cut out of it roughly an inch in width allowing you to see both the min and max markings. With that said, as indicated in my first post though, actually seeing the electrolyte level is another thing altogether and from my point of view anyway, physically unscrewing all the caps and checking there are no exposed (dry) plates is the only way to be actually sure.

I think as far as claims go it one would be very much in the hands of the dealer with fingers crossed for a 'good one' as an argument could be presented that any failure is down to user neglect and/or the battery is a consumable item.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Caldean

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure....
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 11:36:51 pm »
The battery is a very expense one to replace, when I had mine go flat due to the smart charger not charging I looked up a replacement cost.
At that time it was near £200 although its cheaper now.

http://www.gs-yuasa.com/us/topics/pdf/20120426e.pdf

That's about £100 more than a standard battery. Mind you, the hyundai I stop battery cost me £230 courtesy of Arnold Clark and that only had a 2 year warranty. Worth keeping an eye on...

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 08:12:01 am »
Had my first CX5 for 3 years/70k miles. Never checked the battery once, never had any problems related to it either. Presume the garage checked it when serviced...

Alan

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 08:16:10 am »

I wasn't aware that a window was available

When viewing the battery when standing at the front of the car, the battery, which is housed in a black coloured housing, is located right-hand-side and to the rear. If you look carefully at the left-hand-side of this black housing there should be a slot cut out of it roughly an inch in width allowing you to see both the min and max markings. With that said, as indicated in my first post though, actually seeing the electrolyte level is another thing altogether and from my point of view anyway, physically unscrewing all the caps and checking there are no exposed (dry) plates is the only way to be actually sure.

I think as far as claims go it one would be very much in the hands of the dealer with fingers crossed for a 'good one' as an argument could be presented that any failure is down to user neglect and/or the battery is a consumable item.

I really struggle to see the water level for the engine cooling, I use reading glasses and find it easier to just remove the battery caps, I will locate the window but I have a feeling I've looked at that before and failed to see anything.
I also have a poor memory!

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 08:16:10 am »