Author Topic: Tyre manufacturer  (Read 59804 times)

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Tyre manufacturer
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 03:02:17 pm »
Pity that Mazda as standard don't give you a jack to help in rotating wheels.

Anyway, anyone who's used a tyre-shop to do the rotation, how much do they typically charge?

Thanks.

No use to you whatsoever, but over the pond here I am charged €15 for changing my now winter wheels for summer wheels and additional €20 per season for the dealer to store the wheels until the process is reversed. On my OH's Fiat 500 I change the wheels myself and we store them in the garage, but with these much bigger SUV wheels it's far too much hard work lugging the 17" jobbies about so what I'm charged for my wheel changeover is money well spent in my book.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Deeps

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 03:07:41 pm »

The reason its recommened to rotate the tyres on AWD cars is to protect the transmission, essential on fixed 4wd systems.

I'd be interested in reading more on this so any chance you could provide sourced info substantiating what you say. Thanks.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline ROCKETRON

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2015, 06:06:50 pm »
I think on the CX5 AWD then the tyres on the front have to have an equal amount of tread otherwise the wheel sensors will detect that the wheels are not rotating at the same speed and will instigate drive to the rear. I dont think it will matter if the rear tyres are uneven as the rear wheel rotation is not measured. In a proper 4 wd system then all the tyres need to have roughly the same amount of tread otherwise the ratio of front to rear drive will keep changing. The CX5 is essentially a FWD car with a haldex coupling to transfer to the rear only if grip is lost on the  front wheel. I believe it says in the book that if you use a spare or space saver spare it should go on the rear as it wont matter if its a slightly different diameter.

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2015, 09:49:07 pm »
I believe all the wheel speeds are measured via the ABS sensors, they are used to detect a flat tyre, so see no reason why they arn't used with the AWD?
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2015, 10:03:46 am »
Yes all the wheels are measured for the ABS and tyre pressure system, but not for the 2wd/4wd system switch, unless some percentage of drive is being given to the rear (rare). If you had a space saver that had a slightly different diameter on the rear you may get a tyre pressure warning and possibly an ABS warning but it wouldn't harm the drive train. If you had it on the front then the system would be constantly adjusting the amount of rear drive to try to make up for the supposedly slipping front wheel but it wouldn't be able to correct it as there isn't really any slipping. I remember when the BMW X3 first came out there were a lot of transmission problems caused by slighly differently worn tyres or even tread patterns as these cars are perm 4wd.

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2015, 03:14:10 pm »
Pity that Mazda as standard don't give you a jack to help in rotating wheels.

Anyway, anyone who's used a tyre-shop to do the rotation, how much do they typically charge?

Thanks.
Depends when you bought it. In December 2013 mine came with a jack. I bought the spare but had to specify that I already had a jack.
Baffled by some of the discussions about wheel speeds.
The tyre pressure system needs readings from all four wheels.
The AWD system sends power to the rear when the rear wheels are turning slower than the front, but that is sensed in the front/rear drive train.

Offline micromouse

• Colour: Reflex Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2016, 05:20:02 pm »
Had my tyres rotated at Mazda Dealer yesterday - No Charge. Quote from independent garage which I have used in the past £40 being 1 hour's labour. Reason I had my tyres rotated was that fronts seemed to have worn excessively. Had a breakdown on December, due to oil being deteriorated, and dealer 100 miles away from home decided to do a full service at 7500 miles. They reported front tyres at 4mm and rear tyres at 5mm. Car now done 9500 miles and front tyres looked a bit more worn than back so rotated. Tyres are Yoko Geolandars 17". Very poor mileage from tyres - very disappointed. Last Car - Honda - tyres lasted 35K aveerage.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2016, 11:44:10 am »
Had a breakdown on December, due to oil being deteriorated.......

I notice that your info states you owning a 2015 model. If this is so it would appear to confirm that even the facelift models are suffering from this oil dilution problem.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2016, 11:44:10 am »