Author Topic: Wheel bolt sizes  (Read 11404 times)

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Wheel bolt sizes
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:38:51 am »
Does anyone have an idea what wheel bolt sizes Mazda use on their 17" wheels as fitted to my CX-5? In the image the bolts look 'gold' but that's a trick of the light LOL - they are in fact standard steel items.
I own a 17mm adapter for use on my torque wrench when checking the bolt tightness of the caravan wheels and a 19mm adapter for checking the bolts on the winter alloy wheels on the CX-5. Silly me thought that the bolts would be the same on the summer alloy wheels now fitted but no, they are even bigger.  :-\ Before I go rushing out buying yet another adapter does anyone know the correct size?

Edit: Unbelievably upon calling Mazda HQ here in Germany they were unable to tell me the size of bolts fitted to the CX-5 (17" wheels) although they were able to confirm that the torque should be set to 120NM.

Update: I wanted to get on with this job so took a short walk to my Mazda handler. For reference purposes and for possible useful info for members at a later time, the adapter/key required for the standard Mazda wheel bolts is 21mm whilst for special order winter alloys which come with their own and different size bolts, a 19mm adapter/key is required.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:46:16 pm by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Re: Wheel bolt sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 07:59:30 pm »
I see you've answered your own question! For anyone looking for information, the wheel bolts on the 19 inch wheels (as fitted to Sport aka top-of-the-range models) are also 21mm.

P.S. Deeps, where are your locking wheel bolts nuts?! (Edited for you xtrailman, I guess I should have known that myself since I was taking my wheels off today!) :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 08:36:34 pm by RichardCX5 »
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:09:22 pm »
Locking wheel nuts, the cx-5 does not use bolts, or fitted by the dealer in the UK, so not standard in all markets.

Which is why i have 8 spare nuts, from two cx-5.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:46:08 am »
You've both lost me a bit with this 'nuts and bolts' saga  ;D but as long as you both do that's ok. Never actually found a need for either locking nuts or bolts as the sort of driving that I do nowadays - or perhaps more to the point - places that I park up the car, don't call for the extra expense (he says touching wood). It could also be a case of that over here in the south we don't have the number of thieving toe-rags that you seems to have.  ;D
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:46:08 am »