Author Topic: Help needed Cam Shaft and Turbo replacement. Common fault ?  (Read 21519 times)

Offline Kevin

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Liquid Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
I have 2013 Mazda CX 5 with 65000 on the clock. Within the last 6 months the Diff has had to be replaced (under warranty) and now I have had to pay for a new Cam Shaft and Turbo at a cost of £2700. Mazda and the dealer coughed up £1600 but will not pay the total. I suspect this fault is not unique. Are there any other members that can shed light on this. The Service Manager at Brayleys Mazda ax good as said it ISA common fault. I want to litigate against the Marshall Motor Group who were the original seller but they are threatening large legal costs if I try and fight them. Any ideas . Thanks

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Help needed Cam Shaft and Turbo replacement. Common fault ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:35:57 pm »
Camshaft failure was common on the early cars due to a claimed faulty batch, along with vacuum pumps.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 08:25:28 am »
I want to litigate against the Marshall Motor Group who were the original seller but they are threatening large legal costs if I try and fight them. Any ideas .

Bullying tactics never worked on me. In the first instance I'd seek legal advice from a solicitor. I can't recall the cost now as my use of the system was so long ago, but I do recall that it's a fixed charge for a fixed time i.e. 30 minutes where your legal status is advised, a route to consider following offered but nothing by the way of paperwork etc to assist is done. A second point you might like to consider is the small claims court. Not sure what the maximum claim here is but do recall that the procedure is easy peasy with the cost negligble. I once took issue with a solicitor who lodged a claim in the small claims court for what I considered to be unjustifiable charged. The court sent me a form notifying me of the fact, I wrote a reply and the court in turn considered my argument to be fair and ruled against the solicitor. I didn't even have to attend court as the whole matter was dealt with by post. In short, get advice and if your case is right and just don't let bullying tactics put your off. The opposition more than often backs down when they realize that your brother is just as big, if not bigger, than their brother lol.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline T67M

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 08:43:00 pm »
Certainly the fault seems to be quite widely reported on various forums affecting both variants of the diesel engine.

I also have one of the potentially affected engines - what I would love to know is how to detect the earliest onset of the problem so that the faulty camshaft can be replaced before it causes the turbo and vacuum pump to fail. Presumably the cost to Mazda would be much less - or are Mazda hoping that most people will wait until the failure occurs outside of the warranty period so that the customer has to pay to rectify both a manufacturing defect and the consequential damage to the turbo etc?

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:28:30 am »
I think that they should have fitted a magnetic sump plug when they fitted the modified oil filter so that at least when an oil change is done they can see if there is any swarf, indicating the camshaft is starting to go so that they can check it.

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 06:04:05 pm »
I think that they should have fitted a magnetic sump plug when they fitted the modified oil filter so that at least when an oil change is done they can see if there is any swarf, indicating the camshaft is starting to go so that they can check it.

How would you know they're not bits from last time?  That would be my biggest worry as those bits will have gone everywhere there is oil and Derek the semi skilled fitter isn't going to kill himself getting them out.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 06:12:01 pm »
If there are any bits on the magnetic sump plug then you know to check the camshaft. Also a magnetic sump plug would also collect over time any bits that were not cleaned out of the engine if it had previously eaten its camshaft.

Offline Polymerman

• Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 09:42:11 pm »
Kevin, I have spoken to 3 different service dept managers now and each have experienced varying numbers of the cam shaft casualty but unfortunately cannot confirm the mileage of each vehicle. Mine had only 45000 on the clock. They each advised that the customer stands a better chance at challenging Mazda than they do.
I have emailed the Managing Director of Mazda UK and have been in communications with 2 Customer Relations Managers. There does not appear to be any consistency with which Mazda apportion their 'good will' gestures with regards to these experiences. I quote from one reply "I appreciate the vehicle has been serviced to manufacturer’s requirements, and it is for this reason we have offered to pay 80% towards the cost of the repair". When I asked what the consumer could have done for Mazda to pay 100% of the costs the reply included "There are only a small number of vehicles in the range which have been affected by camshaft failure and I am sorry you have had this experience".
I am now considering my options but in the meantime I have sent my info to Watchdog' to see if they have received any others with this concern.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:33:53 pm »
The mazda dealer is blaming our local, non mazda garage for using wrong type of 5w30 oil (synthetic instead of semi-synthetic) even though the handbook only specifies 5w30.

Sorry to read about your current troubles and it sounds as though you really are between a rock and a hard place. Being neutral, Mazda are absolutely correct in that any work/parts that they authorize or part authorize out of the guarantee period is purely a question of goodwill - they are under no obligation to do so. Added to that you've also had the vehicle serviced by a non-authorized Mazda workshop so the hard fact is that you've got no aces up your sleeve to play.

Considering the cost of all this it might pay you to have the oil chemically analysed to determine exactly what has been put in there. The handbook does indeed recommend Mazda Original Oil Supra 0W -30 or Mazda Original Oil Ultra 5W - 30 or, alternatively, ACEA C3 0W - 30 / 5W - 30
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Deeps

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 03:41:06 pm »
"There are only a small number of vehicles in the range which have been affected by camshaft failure and I am sorry you have had this experience".

In that case advise him to make a cup of coffee - a very large one - and start reading the 72 pages (720 posts) here. Even if he can't read German he should get the idea that his interpretation of small number might need adjusting somewhat. http://www.cx5-forum.de/f11/schaden-nockenwelle-folgeschaden-turbolader-etc-2715.html

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2022
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 07:34:31 pm »
Deeps, yes sir.

On that same forum was published a list of affected VIN's (as per the TSB) which might be helpful.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 07:34:31 pm »